Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > Ask the Camaro Team


Phastek Performance


Post Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2018, 10:00 AM   #43
D K
 
Drives: C5
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Denver
Posts: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtirocz View Post
Exactly. The ZL1 1LE (very stiff springs / DSSV shocks) needs the ZL1 1LE wheel/tire combo (or similar) to perform well. This highlights the importance of matching the tires to the suspension tuning and tuning the package as a whole.




You can drive a base SS w/ ZL1 1LE suspension kit alone on base SS wheels/tires faster than an SS 1LE? I doubt it.

Add the ZL1 1LE wheel/tire kit or even the SS 1LE wheel/tire kit and I'd believe it.
I think that's part of the problem with this test...

All the cars should be on the same tires.
Ideally 2 tests each - one with stickys, one with regular tires.
D K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 10:02 AM   #44
Shawnqa800720
 
Shawnqa800720's Avatar
 
Drives: 2018 1SS
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: MA
Posts: 300
Individual Part Numbers ??

Does anyone know what the individual GM part numbers are for the pieces in the SS lowering kit (shocks, struts, springs, nuts, bolts, washers)? It was asked earlier in the thread, but I'm guessing it got lost in all the track time conspiracy theories

Looking for the parts in the non-mag, coupe, 1ss kit (84203549).
Shawnqa800720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 09:20 PM   #45
Snrub
 
Drives: Gone: 2017 Camaro SS
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: London Ontario Canada
Posts: 111
^ This thread contains seriously high quality info. I agree, the moderators should clean up this thread. Why would the Camaro team risk extending an extraordinary effort in the future, only to have it polluted with negative feedback?

Part number is 84225254 from here https://www.chevrolet.com/performanc...aro/suspension, you'll have to do some digging to find the individual part numbers.

Last edited by Snrub; 01-25-2019 at 01:49 PM.
Snrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 06:11 AM   #46
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter
 
Norm Peterson's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Eastern Time Zone
Posts: 6,990
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtirocz View Post
Exactly. The ZL1 1LE (very stiff springs / DSSV shocks) needs the ZL1 1LE wheel/tire combo (or similar) to perform well. This highlights the importance of matching the tires to the suspension tuning and tuning the package as a whole.
It's likely even more basic than that. Expecting 1LE-levels of cornering & handling performance from 40mm narrower (and taller profile) tires on 1.5" narrower wheels - with any GM approved-for-release suspension - sounds unreasonably optimistic to me. Even if all of the tires were the same make & model.


Norm
__________________
'08 GT coupe 5M (the occasional track toy)
'19 WRX 6M (the family sedan . . . seriously)
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 03:36 PM   #47
12blkgrayRS
 
12blkgrayRS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro RS 2LT 6spd man
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Dickinson, Texas
Posts: 531
On a different note. My 2012 RS V6 was a track beast (pic below), Mike can attest to this. he was there at those track events. It had BMR 3 way adjustable suspension sways, and BMR lowering race (track) springs. Goodrich G-force tires on the 20in OEM RS spokes. Muffler delete, Air intake, Vitesse throttle controller, Stock OEM shock (FE2). We had a race driver at one of our Camaro club event several years ago, and he couldn't upset it even when he hit the apex curbs. It would lap Texas world speedway in the lower 2 min times.
I traded it for the new 6 gens, left it stock. Took it to TWS again where ran more consistant times, only 3 secs quicker than my more modified 5th gen, of course, we know why. But it was phenomenal to just buy a stock car take it to the track to do better than the one I spend thousands on to run on the Road course. Btw, this was also a V6 (auto). the previous car was a manual. The only complaint was that the auto would heat up after the 6th-7th lap and I would have to bring it in.
__________________
2012 Camaro RS
12blkgrayRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 09:39 PM   #48
Shawnqa800720
 
Shawnqa800720's Avatar
 
Drives: 2018 1SS
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: MA
Posts: 300
Has anyone added the ZL1 1LE spec handling suspension kit (p/n - 84352119) IN ADDITION to the lowering upgrade (84225254) and sway bar upgrade (84242386) on their SS? I would like to know if adding that kit would reduce the benefits seen with the lowering and sway bar kits or add to them. Yet another test set up I would love to see team Camaro tackle (or someone from our community).

Given some of the discussion on this thread, I'd be a little worried that this kit may stiffen things up a little too much, and make the car a little less road friendly, or was that more a result of the DSSV dampers.... I love a very stiff suspension feel (responsive, communicative), but don't want to lose road performance since that's where my Camaro will spend most of its time. I have some fun autocross and track time planned, but more just so I can drive the car like it was intended vs. part of a competition circuit. If I make it so stiff that I am losing traction on the imperfect roads of New England, it isn't a good trade-off for me. I am fully caught up in the add-on phase, and may need to be talked off the ledge before I make my car less fun to drive vs. more fun.

I'd love input from someone who has actually done this combo, but also fine with theoretical discussion.
__________________
2018 Red Hot 1SS, GM lowering kit & 1LE Sway bar kit, ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings, BMR sway bar end links, GM CAI w/tune, Pray ported IM, Mamo ported TB, VS Forged VS07 rims 20x11 & 20x10 w/ Michelin PS4S
Shawnqa800720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 10:34 AM   #49
vtirocz


 
vtirocz's Avatar
 
Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Indy
Posts: 2,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnqa800720 View Post
Has anyone added the ZL1 1LE spec handling suspension kit (p/n - 84352119) IN ADDITION to the lowering upgrade (84225254) and sway bar upgrade (84242386) on their SS? I would like to know if adding that kit would reduce the benefits seen with the lowering and sway bar kits or add to them. Yet another test set up I would love to see team Camaro tackle (or someone from our community).

Given some of the discussion on this thread, I'd be a little worried that this kit may stiffen things up a little too much, and make the car a little less road friendly, or was that more a result of the DSSV dampers.... I love a very stiff suspension feel (responsive, communicative), but don't want to lose road performance since that's where my Camaro will spend most of its time. I have some fun autocross and track time planned, but more just so I can drive the car like it was intended vs. part of a competition circuit. If I make it so stiff that I am losing traction on the imperfect roads of New England, it isn't a good trade-off for me. I am fully caught up in the add-on phase, and may need to be talked off the ledge before I make my car less fun to drive vs. more fun.

I'd love input from someone who has actually done this combo, but also fine with theoretical discussion.
I may be wrong, but I think forum member glenB was looking to install that combination: https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showp...6&postcount=16

The nice thing about the GM kit (spring/shock/swaybar/link combo) is that they developed it as a package to perform with track times to back it up and it's a box you can check off when ordering the car. Seems like a proven and safe combo.

If you start mixing and matching different parts, you could easily make things worse. I think you really need to be willing to go out and track the car enough to find the deficiencies, then make needed part adjustments to address them. This obviously would require time and $$ to optimize (track days, trial and error on parts to optimize, etc). GM's got the engineering budget to go off and do this optimization at multiple tracks.

While the SS + handling/lowering kit is an attractive option, at some point if you plan to keep upgrading it might be better to just start with a SS 1LE that's fully sorted out from the factory.
__________________
2017 Camaro 1SS, M6, Hurst shifter, Hyper Blue, NPP, Gray Split Spoke Wheels

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 03:25 PM   #50
Shawnqa800720
 
Shawnqa800720's Avatar
 
Drives: 2018 1SS
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: MA
Posts: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtirocz View Post
I may be wrong, but I think forum member glenB was looking to install that combination: https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showp...6&postcount=16

The nice thing about the GM kit (spring/shock/swaybar/link combo) is that they developed it as a package to perform with track times to back it up and it's a box you can check off when ordering the car. Seems like a proven and safe combo.

If you start mixing and matching different parts, you could easily make things worse. I think you really need to be willing to go out and track the car enough to find the deficiencies, then make needed part adjustments to address them. This obviously would require time and $$ to optimize (track days, trial and error on parts to optimize, etc). GM's got the engineering budget to go off and do this optimization at multiple tracks.

While the SS + handling/lowering kit is an attractive option, at some point if you plan to keep upgrading it might be better to just start with a SS 1LE that's fully sorted out from the factory.


I really wanted to go 1LE, but I wanted an automatic. This will be my daily, so traffic and all else pushed the SS auto.

I already had the dealer install the lowering kit and sway bar kit before taking delivery. Only other thing I am definitely planning is the solid rear cradle mounts. Iíve been considering the ZL1 kit too, but donít want to throw the car out of whack. I do plan on driving it a lot before doing anything beyond what is already done so I get to know the car and itís limits. But I do want to hear from folks whoíve already done it so I can pay attention when Iím driving mine to see if I notice issues they say the ZL1 kit would fix. I really need to find a local club to hook up with for some track days. I canít wait to start playing with the car!
__________________
2018 Red Hot 1SS, GM lowering kit & 1LE Sway bar kit, ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings, BMR sway bar end links, GM CAI w/tune, Pray ported IM, Mamo ported TB, VS Forged VS07 rims 20x11 & 20x10 w/ Michelin PS4S
Shawnqa800720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 06:45 AM   #51
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter
 
Norm Peterson's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Eastern Time Zone
Posts: 6,990
Corvettes of Massachusetts.

But SCCA (Track Night in America), Hooked on Driving, and I think Chin all run events on various New England tracks. The tracks themselves may even host their own track days.


Norm
__________________
'08 GT coupe 5M (the occasional track toy)
'19 WRX 6M (the family sedan . . . seriously)
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 10:51 AM   #52
L78toLT1

 
L78toLT1's Avatar
 
Drives: Hyper Blue 2016 2SS 6M
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: North Ga
Posts: 1,758
I'm sure neither Al or Mark will chime in on this one, but I would really love to know the importance of the MRC calibration. I would order the lowering & handling kits for my '16 mag ride 2SS today if I knew how they would perform without the cal as I am sure that it will never be available for '16's. There has to be someone out there who has done this. I would buy in a heartbeat if I someone could provide obective evidence that the kits will benefit a car with the standard MRC calibration. I already have standard ZL1 wheels & tires and plan to do the 6 piston brakes at some point in the not too distant future.
__________________
Baby Blue
2016 Hyper Blue 2SS/6m/MRC/NPP/Silver Rally stripes/ZL1 wheels & brakes/GForce DS and axles/ZLE Cradle Bushings/FE4 ARB front & rear/SEMA Grill/Rotofab dry/95mm TB/Magnuson 2300/Full LT4 fuel system/JMS boost-a-pump/E85 Sensor/Ported CID heads from LME/Cammotion PD cam/Thompson Motorsports forged shortblock/catted Kooks 1 7/8 headers /JRE remote tuned
L78toLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 10:37 AM   #53
Hyper1SS

 
Hyper1SS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue Metallic 1SS M6 NPP
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Indiana
Posts: 891
Hello. I am looking for the break down of all parts in this kit for a 2016 1SS coupe.
Attached Images
 
__________________


2016 Hyper Blue Metallic 1SS M6 with body color hood vents, Silver broken 5 spoke wheels, NPP dual exhaust, Dark Night Interior Spectrum Lighting, Illuminated door sills plates.

Upgrades include: Roto-Fab intake, Mishimoto catch can, MBRP cat-back Race exhaust, TSP 1 7/8 headers, EFI E85 Flex Fuel, MRR M017 graphite wheels with Nitto N555 G2 tires, Goodridge stainless steel brake lines, Powder coated Brembo calipers, BMR suspension, Eibach sport springs, Emblempros fender badges


Order ID: TDHQMS
1100 on 01/07/2016 at Penske Chevrolet
6000 on 02/23/2016 Delivered to customer
Hyper1SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 10:47 AM   #54
vtirocz


 
vtirocz's Avatar
 
Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Indy
Posts: 2,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper1SS View Post
Hello. I am looking for the break down of all parts in this kit for a 2016 1SS coupe.
Are you looking for specific part #s or just a list of parts? Google that p/n and you'll see the different parts and bolts included.
__________________
2017 Camaro 1SS, M6, Hurst shifter, Hyper Blue, NPP, Gray Split Spoke Wheels

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 01:00 PM   #55
Hyper1SS

 
Hyper1SS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue Metallic 1SS M6 NPP
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Indiana
Posts: 891
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtirocz View Post
Are you looking for specific part #s or just a list of parts? Google that p/n and you'll see the different parts and bolts included.
Actual part numbers of each piece. A guy has a low milage takeoff kit but want to make sure the part numbers are legit. Thanks
__________________


2016 Hyper Blue Metallic 1SS M6 with body color hood vents, Silver broken 5 spoke wheels, NPP dual exhaust, Dark Night Interior Spectrum Lighting, Illuminated door sills plates.

Upgrades include: Roto-Fab intake, Mishimoto catch can, MBRP cat-back Race exhaust, TSP 1 7/8 headers, EFI E85 Flex Fuel, MRR M017 graphite wheels with Nitto N555 G2 tires, Goodridge stainless steel brake lines, Powder coated Brembo calipers, BMR suspension, Eibach sport springs, Emblempros fender badges


Order ID: TDHQMS
1100 on 01/07/2016 at Penske Chevrolet
6000 on 02/23/2016 Delivered to customer
Hyper1SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 01:32 AM   #56
sr71bb

 
sr71bb's Avatar
 
Drives: 2019 Camaro Z-28
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Dallas
Posts: 1,469
Thread being REVIVED

I am reviving this thread for several reasons. The BEST one in my opinion is that it is one of the most significant threads in terms of useful technical information EVER from AL and the boys. Sometimes it takes a little time to appreciate just how good those guys were at their jobs!!!

Second reason for reviving tread is that I am dropping my car at Advanced Modern Performance so that they can install the Suspension Kit Part Number 84203549 (shocks, springs, etc.) and the SWAY bar kit part number 84401188. This is more commonly referred to as the SG3 suspension.

The Car is a BLACKED out 2019 Camaro SS2 with A10 suspension. AMP has already installed an upgraded wheel and tire package that included APEX SM-10 19 x 10.5 wheels wrapped in Michelin Sport 4S 305 30 19 tires. This combo is ROTATABLE and with about 4K miles on them , the tires show NO significant wear as of yet. PICS of car NOW is in the thread below.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...=515659&page=6

This wheel and tire combination has been on the car for about 3 months and I couldnt be more pleased. AMP set negative chamber of all four wheels to be -1.5 degrees.

The car handles significantly better with the new wheel/tire set up than the stock set up but the current suspension is too soft and car has too much lean. I wanted to correct all that hence the reason for the suspension and sway bar upgrades.

I have asked AMP to document the individual part numbers that make up these two kits. Since they also have access to and create some of the fastest and best handling GM cars on the planet, I have asked them also to compare the best they can to their 2019 ZR1 Corvette and 2020 C8 corvette in terms of handling characteristics.

Having come out most recently a CAMARO ZL1 1LE A10 car, I wanted a car that had that handling ability but wasnt as miserable to drive due to the overly and in my opinion unnecessarily HARSH suspension (mainly shocks!!!) In testing smoother road surfaces, my ZL1 1LE handling was similiar to the Corvette Zr1 but when pushed near the limit, the ZR1 was more stable. If even slightly irregular road surfaces came into play, then that's where the ZL1 was unsettling because the suspension was completely unforgiving. The bottom line is the ZL1 1LE makes a pretty miserable daily driver.

This then is why I am modding the 2019 CAMARO SS2 with suspension goodies and such. I will post back here again when installation is completed,
__________________
__________________________________________
2019 SS 1LE BIG NA A10
Eagles Canyon Raceway 2.7 CCW Below
https://youtu.be/c9M5UHDftcA
4-15-23 at SCCA TT U1 Class

MEGA Thread on THIS car:
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=602092

Retired Cars BELOW:
1973 Camaro, 1969 Camaro, 1969 Camaro SS RS
2010 Camaro SS with 1000HP F1R, 2019 ZL1 1LE A10
sr71bb is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Post Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.