Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-16-2019, 06:03 PM   #15
Marotrent

Drives: 2011 Summit White Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by champwynn View Post
5th gens look better
6th gens are faster

5th gen + rwhp =
I like the way you think
Marotrent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 06:20 PM   #16
rshelar

Drives: 2017 1SS auto vert Nightfall Gray
Modding a “detuned” L99 will never end and you will never get the performance and reliability of an LT1 out of the box. Have you ever had yours on a dyno? It’s pitiful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rshelar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 06:32 PM   #17
Aqua Blue RS/SS

Drives: ABM #93
Quote:
Originally Posted by rshelar View Post
Modding a “detuned” L99 will never end and you will never get the performance and reliability of an LT1 out of the box. Have you ever had yours on a dyno? It’s pitiful

here we go...

Op. I wouldn’t be afraid to mod mine at 100,000. Then again I do all my own work as a professional mechanic.
ABM #2399 2SS/RS:SOLD
ABM #93 2SS/RS Black Rally stripes, Titanium Interior 4,000 miles: GM GFX side skirts and diffuser waiting on paint, GM dovetail, GM heritage, RPI ZL1 style splitter.
‘87 IROC-Z Iroc blue. all original unmolested with 50K miles.
Aqua Blue RS/SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 06:51 PM   #18
bkevind

Drives: 2013 2SS RS 1LE
Smart money trades out.

Passionate money does whatever the f they want.

You decide.

Power is not the issue. Engine mileage is not the issue - it's cheap to replace or rebuild etc.

If you want something new, then go do that - it's always nice to get a new ride.
If you want to refresh your ride, well, there is a lot you can do.

Gen 5 is something special to me. The enthusiast in me that cares more about performance than looks wants a new ZL1 1LE. But the Gen 5 just has something about it I can't quite escape. So I'm making my Gen 5 what I want it to be, at least so far as I can take it. Lots more power, brake upgrades, suspension upgrades, race seats etc etc.
Forgestar CF-5 19x11
bkevind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 08:21 PM   #19
hunter1660

Drives: 2011ss/rs camaro
With a $10,000 power upgrade you can chew up and spit out the 6th gen
Old 04-16-2019, 08:49 PM   #20
qcman

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RDP Tuned L99
Quote:

I don't know with a good SS1 or higher VVT Cam I would put my money on that L99. Besides there have been many reports of blown up LT1's not to mention all of the Gen 6 A8 transmission shudder problems. His car has gone 99000 trouble free miles and yours has yet to prove its reliability. I'm sure it will be reliable but his has already proven to be.

OP its hard to say what you should do only you know that in truth. I will say this if you go Cam keep the VVT and that car will haul.
qcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 09:02 PM   #21
Marotrent

Quote:
Originally Posted by qcman View Post
I don't know with a good SS1 or higher VVT Cam I would put my money on that L99. Besides there have been many reports of blown up LT1's not to mention all of the Gen 6 A8 transmission shudder problems. His car has gone 99000 trouble free miles and yours has yet to prove its reliability. I'm sure it will be reliable but his has already proven to be.

OP its hard to say what you should do only you know that in truth. I will say this if you go Cam keep the VVT and that car will haul.
What is the benefit of keeping the VVT? I’ve heard that a lot of guys do the full LS3 conversion.
Old 04-16-2019, 09:20 PM   #22
qcman

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RDP Tuned L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marotrent View Post
What is the benefit of keeping the VVT? I’ve heard that a lot of guys do the full LS3 conversion.

You can do that but the VVT cars are faster it seems but do your homework before you look into a Cam.
qcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 09:53 PM   #23
Aqua Blue RS/SS

Drives: ABM #93
Vvt allows the engine to make more consistent power throughout the rpm range. One reason some elect to delete vvt is because it limits how aggressive of a cam you can run. You can only change the valve timing so much before pistons and valves get well acquainted. The big advantage to vvt is the torque off the line below peak power.
You can still run a pretty aggressive cam with vvt, I’m keeping it when do the cam swap in my SS and in the LY6 6.0 that I’ve got for my 72 3/4 ton 4x4.
ABM #2399 2SS/RS:SOLD
ABM #93 2SS/RS Black Rally stripes, Titanium Interior 4,000 miles: GM GFX side skirts and diffuser waiting on paint, GM dovetail, GM heritage, RPI ZL1 style splitter.
‘87 IROC-Z Iroc blue. all original unmolested with 50K miles.

Last edited by Aqua Blue RS/SS; 04-16-2019 at 10:32 PM.
Aqua Blue RS/SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 10:18 PM   #24
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:

What are you talking about.... this forum is filled with hard charging l99 with fbo. Search all you want and post back all the unreliable setups you find Its a proven solid platform. The LT1 is a fine motor....but in a 6th gen its like having an ugly girlfriend that can run fast...what's your vert run at the track ?
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 05:33 AM   #25
NGUYP

Drives: Junk
Depend on how much you can get out of your Camaro right now. If you're not gonna get much out of it might as well keep and mod it. One less car payment and more money to spend on mod or anything else.
NGUYP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 06:11 AM   #26
Marotrent

Quote:
You can do that but the VVT cars are faster it seems but do your homework before you look into a Cam.
Ok I will thanks for the info
Old 04-17-2019, 07:06 AM   #27
Wizard1183

Drives: ABM SS2/RS M6
Send a message via Yahoo to Wizard1183
Quote:

Those won't be as good as expected. More parts=more breakage. They'll never make 8-10+spd transmissions more reliable than older. They change up too much instead of alleviating a problem and keeping what works. vicious cycle.

Op if indeed likes 5th gen, a new engine will be good to go. So what if 6th gen is faster? No one really cares....

Id suggest checking out suspension with that many miles. Rubber mounts and what not tend to give out and possibly need to change? Polyurethane bushings would keep it better shape

Life is short, drive it like you stole it!
Wizard1183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 07:12 AM   #28
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Blue RS/SS View Post
Vvt allows the engine to make more consistent power throughout the rpm range. One reason some elect to delete vvt is because it limits how aggressive of a cam you can run. You can only change the valve timing so much before pistons and valves get well acquainted. The big advantage to vvt is the torque off the line below peak power.
You can still run a pretty aggressive cam with vvt, I’m keeping it when do the cam swap in my SS and in the LY6 6.0 that I’ve got for my 72 3/4 ton 4x4.
The purpose of VVT is a flat torque curve. This translates into lower e.t. at the strip, and better performance at real world speeds on the road.

That's why more and more cars have VVT. Soon, non-VVT cars will not even exist.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote