Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 02-05-2020, 02:15 PM   #1
Joey Soul
The Mechanic

Drives: 1SS M
losing oil at WOT

So it seems I have a new issue or rather the first engine related issue. ive noticed twice now there was smoke coming from the under the hood after a few pulls to redline, first time there was some oil by the pcv, cleaned it up and continued to watch it. Its clean and fine under normal driving but now another full pull and i dumped smoke out on the highway and again some trails out the hood. This time i found a puddle in the belly pan and the whole front is wet. i pulled the manifold and believe the source to be from the sensor directly under the tb but i have no idea what it is. Its not bolted down and i cant find a diagram on the webs so does anyone know what this unplugged rectangular sensor is in the middle?
Attached Images

BTR 225 w/CNC Heads|JLT intake|Speed Engineering 1"7/8 long tube and mid pipe|LT2 manifold w/95mmTb|Self tuned w/HPtuners|Silvers 2Way coilovers|Hotchkis front sway|Advan AD08R|BMR solid cradle bushings|Recaro SR7| Work ZR10 19"
Joey Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 02:23 PM   #2
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
I don't think I use that anymore, so it probably is at the oil flow valve to the DOD lifters.
Looks like that you gotta buy the whole valley cover (not saying this is the part, just an example)
https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-GM-12...5FDNDY0F82S1FB
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 02:32 PM   #3
ssmofo

Drives: Chevy Camaro
Cam position sensor?
ssmofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 02:36 PM   #4
Dixie ZL1
NOXQCES ZL1

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
Looks to me like your oil pressure sensor is leaking.
Dixie ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 02:43 PM   #5
Joey Soul
The Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman View Post
I don't think I use that anymore, so it probably is at the oil flow valve to the DOD lifters.
Looks like that you gotta buy the whole valley cover (not saying this is the part, just an example)
https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-GM-12...5FDNDY0F82S1FB
hm yea youre right it looks like its all one piece. i wonder why its popping out though, its settled back in by the time i stop the car so i wonder if something is causing it to pop out for a second then settle back in
BTR 225 w/CNC Heads|JLT intake|Speed Engineering 1"7/8 long tube and mid pipe|LT2 manifold w/95mmTb|Self tuned w/HPtuners|Silvers 2Way coilovers|Hotchkis front sway|Advan AD08R|BMR solid cradle bushings|Recaro SR7| Work ZR10 19"
Old 02-05-2020, 02:45 PM   #6
Joey Soul
The Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie ZL1 View Post
Looks to me like your oil pressure sensor is leaking.
nah thats the rounded sensor on the left, its still dry and so is the pcv. the oil was directly above this center sensor when looking at the bottom of the manifold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmofo View Post
Cam position sensor?
i think that is directly infront of the cam, above the crank pully
Old 02-06-2020, 10:49 AM   #7
chaospiece

Drives: 2018 SS, 2016 GT
Also check the oil cooler.
chaospiece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 12:55 PM   #8
easttxss

Drives: '16 2SS M6
Probably just a bad O-ring around the sensor.
'14 Fusion Titanium 2.0T
'83 Jeep Wagoneer
easttxss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 05:17 PM   #9
DorkMissile

Drives: 18 1SS 1LE HyperBlue
You are building up positive pressure in the crankcase - the PCV system on the LT1 really is pretty weak (when it comes to being able to handle a lot of air)

Unfortunately I see your crank pulley almost looks wet - could possibly be a blown front seal (eventually the pressure will push it out)
Old 02-06-2020, 05:53 PM   #10
Joey Soul
The Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorkMissile View Post
You are building up positive pressure in the crankcase - the PCV system on the LT1 really is pretty weak (when it comes to being able to handle a lot of air)

Unfortunately I see your crank pulley almost looks wet - could possibly be a blown front seal (eventually the pressure will push it out)
yea i heard about those, currently its ok. The reason im led to believe its this sensors popping up is because i have no leak when driving normal or idling, only the last 2 times i did a full pull.. it seems this sensor pops up under pressure blows some oil into the manifold/ tb area then reseats its self. it cant be fully removed because its hard wired into the cover, couldnt even change the o ring if you wanted.
Old 02-08-2020, 11:08 AM   #11
Indy_62

Drives: 2017 2SS / 2003 S10 Crew Cab
The connector in the picture is for the afm solenoids in the valve lifter oil manifold. The connector is not serviceable; if oil is in fact leaking there the manifold would have to be replaced. There is so much oil in that area it is hard to tell where it is coming from. Adding dye to the engine oil and looking for the leak with a black light after a hard pull will help.

Indy_62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 08:30 AM   #12
Joey Soul
The Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy_62 View Post
The connector in the picture is for the afm solenoids in the valve lifter oil manifold. The connector is not serviceable; if oil is in fact leaking there the manifold would have to be replaced. There is so much oil in that area it is hard to tell where it is coming from. Adding dye to the engine oil and looking for the leak with a black light after a hard pull will help.
Yea its only popping out at high rpm then it sits back flush. Really a strange thing i may do a compression test to check for damage. No reason a na car should have this much crankcase pressure
Old 02-09-2020, 09:32 AM   #13
95 imp
Dumb Ass Deluxe

Drives: A Tricked Out Mountain Bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Soul View Post
i may do a compression test to check for damage. No reason a na car should have this much crankcase pressure
A leak down test might be a better indicator since it seems to happen only under WOT. Sounds like a lot of blow by if it's pushing it out.
95 imp is offline   Reply With Quote