Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Phastek Performance

Old 06-04-2018, 03:48 AM   #1
Larrio Andretti

Drives: Really Fast
FRAM Ultra Oil Filter

Looks like the best filter you can buy right now as far as build quality and filtration. Anyone heard anything or have first hand experience... good or bad.
Old 06-04-2018, 04:12 AM   #2
blake-b

Drives: 2009 ZR1
go over to bobistheoilguy.com and read all you ever wanted to know about filters and oil in the forums.
blake-b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 04:34 AM   #3
Bluecyclone

Drives: 2014 Cyclone mustang
I use the Ford Racing filter due to it's increased capacity and unique bypass feature for cold starts. Research is your friend, yes I know Ford to Chevrolet.
Old 07-19-2018, 08:40 PM   #4
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
fram is the worst filter on the planet.. just say no.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 09:14 PM   #5
Gunmetalmissle

Drives: 16 ngm ss
Looks like a great filter. It’s designed for extended intervals so may be overkill if you are not planning to do that.
Gunmetalmissle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 10:19 PM   #6
oldman

Fram is designed for one thing and that is to make Fram money. everything about the filter is cheap. So they get a fancy cheap filter, it is still cheap.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
Old 07-19-2018, 10:35 PM   #7
thescreensavers

Drives: SW 1SS 1LE / Jeep XJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman View Post
fram is the worst filter on the planet.. just say no.
Quote:
Fram is designed for one thing and that is to make Fram money. everything about the filter is cheap. So they get a fancy cheap filter, it is still cheap.

Sorry guys but, Fram makes more than 1 type of filter you know just dont buy the Orange Can. Fram Ultra being their most expensive filter is currently one of the best choices of filters you can buy.

With that said the ACDelco filter while dosent filter as well, is made just as well and for potential warranty woes I see no reason to change.

I do run a Fram Ultra in my other vehicle(s).
thescreensavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 04:41 PM   #8
Chef-j

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS
WIX/NAPA or OEM is what i will stay with.
Old 07-20-2018, 04:53 PM   #9
oldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by thescreensavers View Post

Sorry guys but, Fram makes more than 1 type of filter you know just dont buy the Orange Can. Fram Ultra being their most expensive filter is currently one of the best choices of filters you can buy.

With that said the ACDelco filter while dosent filter as well, is made just as well and for potential warranty woes I see no reason to change.

I do run a Fram Ultra in my other vehicle(s).
LOL, really, did I say Fram only makes one type of filter... please, if Fram spent more money on the actual filter vs marketing and pretty colors, maybe they would perform better.

Sorry when a company like Fram has been selling absolutely garbage for so long, I trust nothing the company says or does.

Oh you mean some marketing hype shows it filters better? Just before the too cheap bypass spring collapses or too cheap end caps fall apart, or we saved a few penneys by not putting enough supply holes into the mating surface or supply core, or our super cheap drain back valve fell apart and shoved the filter into bypass at which type all the stuff holding the filter together went into the oil gallary.

IMO, any company selling the worst of the worst for 40 years deserves no business from anybody that likes or works on cars.

https://forum.level1techs.com/t/the-...ncluded/102937

Last edited by oldman; 07-20-2018 at 05:19 PM.
Old 07-20-2018, 06:26 PM   #10
thescreensavers

Drives: SW 1SS 1LE / Jeep XJ
Quote:
LOL, really, did I say Fram only makes one type of filter... please, if Fram spent more money on the actual filter vs marketing and pretty colors, maybe they would perform better.

Sorry when a company like Fram has been selling absolutely garbage for so long, I trust nothing the company says or does.

Oh you mean some marketing hype shows it filters better? Just before the too cheap bypass spring collapses or too cheap end caps fall apart, or we saved a few penneys by not putting enough supply holes into the mating surface or supply core, or our super cheap drain back valve fell apart and shoved the filter into bypass at which type all the stuff holding the filter together went into the oil gallary.

IMO, any company selling the worst of the worst for 40 years deserves no business from anybody that likes or works on cars.

https://forum.level1techs.com/t/the-...ncluded/102937

Both Fram and Wix make good filters. I have no problems using a Wix filter, but that website linked is completely subjective with no scientific basis behind it at all.

In Terms of "filtering" ability Fram Ultra Wins

Wix XP efficiency is 50% @ 20 microns.
Standard Wix 95% efficient @ 20 microns
Fram Ultra is 99.9% @20 Microns

According to UOAs from 100s of people on BITOG that use the Fram Ultra it does its job very well. Go read about "insoluble counts in UOA results.

Per the Smaller holes, if you actually calculated the area differences between the center hole and the outlet holes you'll find there is no issue at all.

I do agree that their lowerend filters are not great but many OEMs use them for their OEM oil filters! With no issues. I personally only use "Ultra" filter from fram and none of the others that they sell.
thescreensavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 06:26 PM   #11
ZNix

Drives: 1987 Buick Grand National
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef-j View Post
WIX/NAPA or OEM is what i will stay with.
Same. Can't beat the Wix / NAPA Gold
ZNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 08:53 PM   #12
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Never had a problem with any filter...it's no different then oil. Just use the right stuff, change regularly, and its fine. personally I like to run K&N filters only because that 3/4" nut on the end makes for easy removal.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote