Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Phastek Performance

Old 05-21-2018, 11:19 AM   #1
Lionjaw

Drives: 2016 Camaro 3.6 V6 RS
Unhappy Need advice on possible strut mount issue.

Hey everyone,

Last night I was driving in upstate NY, very dark. Ended up running over some deer legs. Since I've heard this clunking like sound coming from the right wheel well. I lifted the car checking underneath and everything looks fine, nothing out of the normal. Then I opened the hoot to look at the strut mounts and I noticed this (pics). On my passenger side's strut mount it looks like its leaning to the side and not flush. Does this mean these struts are shot? The Driver side (I'll provide pics) looks flush in comparison and I'm not having issues with the driver side.
I'd appreciate any advice.
Attached Images

Lionjaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 06:30 PM   #2
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
ive been getting a clunk from my driver side and it sounds like its the strut also but hard to tell anything from your pics sorry!
Old 05-21-2018, 07:03 PM   #3
Lionjaw

Drives: 2016 Camaro 3.6 V6 RS
I will upload better pictures after work thank you.
Lionjaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 08:18 AM   #4
Alpha1BC

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
I believe that's just a plastic cap to cover the top nut. You should be able to pull it off or push it back on and move it around by hand.

That being said, to move the strut enough to get the cap to move there's a chance that something's either loose or damaged. I'd suggest pulling the cap first and making sure the top nut is OK, then if it doesn't go away after re-installing the cap start checking bolt torques (especially the stab bar links) and re-inspecting all of the bushings and joints for torn rubber. If everything seems fine after that but the noise is still there, maybe try pulling the RH stab bar link and drive it to see if the noise goes away? Hitting something hard on one side could also have damaged those joints and you'd never see it, but my money's on the stab bar link bolt torque. That joint comes loose on a lot of the SS 1LEs (see thread here), so it's entirely possibly that a hit big enough to unsettle the top mount cap could have broken the stab bar link loose as well.

Tags
shocks, struts, suspension