Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

AWE Tuning

Old 05-15-2018, 09:33 PM   #1
Ventura 1LE

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
GDI SERVICE PACK from CRC

Not sure if been posted or not. Basically CRC has service pack for DI engines. Wondering if anybody has used this before and what interavals?

Looks like Napa has it in stock..

I dont think I will be using the friction guard in the engine. I might add to my Ford Expidition that is DD.

The way I see the kit is... a bit of preventive maintenance before going in for media blasting that GM is wanting to do for the intake valves and DI fuel injectors.

Doing it around 5k to 6k should help reduce build up that most of us drudge in doing by a shop in helping these engines perform at top level. I have 3k on the mileage right now. CRC is recommending every 10k or every oil change. I think every oil change for me is too much because of dumping oil and refill with fresh after track days.

Looking for advice or is this stuff wasted money and time.. I dont think seafoam has a chance in foaming up like this product does.

http://www.crcindustries.com/product...kit-05320.html

https://youtu.be/RcVDZAauO88
Ventura 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 05:48 AM   #2
Deakins

Drives: 2017 2ss, m6
To be honest the only part that I would be interested in would be the cleaner. I don't feel any of the other items are really needed outside of a normal PM cycle. That said we've seen a few pics of late that really outlined how good these engines are with regards to the cooking issue. I have a catch can but really question if it's needed with a good engine oil at this point and I don't know if I'm going to be aggressive on chemical cleaning. Just my .02
Deakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 06:56 AM   #3
VAZL1

Drives: 17 ZL1
The jury is still out on this one for me but i'm very interested in what kind of feed back the topic receives.
Old 05-19-2018, 07:23 AM   #4
Boone
Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 50th Anniversary
I'll give the whole kit a shot on my Mazda6 before using the Intake and Valve cleaner on my Camaro as a preventative measure.

Previous:
1999 Camaro Z28
1992 Camaro RS
Boone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 04:10 PM   #5
Gunmetalmissle

Drives: 16 ngm ss
I am banking that full synthetic and regular changes will eliminate the need for this. Also I’ve read that gdi deposits are a harder crystalline structure that you do not want passing through your engine.
Gunmetalmissle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 11:11 AM   #6
PolynesianPowerhouse
Big Samoan ina little car

Drives: 2016 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunmetalmissle View Post
I am banking that full synthetic and regular changes will eliminate the need for this. Also I’ve read that gdi deposits are a harder crystalline structure that you do not want passing through your engine.
that's why the cleaner softens them up. with this, unless you have huuuuuge chunks breaking off, the chemicals more or less dissolve the carbon as its expelled. been using the cleaner for going on 4 years on two different gen camaros now. 5th and 6th gen. both GDI engines.

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
PolynesianPowerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 01:56 PM   #7
SnakeEyeSS

Drives: Camaro 2SS & ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunmetalmissle View Post
Are you putting the oil on your valves? That not how engines are supposed to work. In GDI the fuel is sprayed past the valves, the crap,,/oil that gets on there is hardly enough to clean anything, in fact that's the problem! If you are soaking the valves in oil might as well do the overwrought deep clean and hand scrubbing process. Nearly every GDI anymore calls for synthetic and uses it from the factory, yet people still have problems.

If anyone wants first hand experience, I have used the GDI IVD (pn 05319 ) twice on my wife's car, which is GDI and gets full synthetic oil changes every 5k miles. It works very well, there was a big improvement on idle and engine smoothness/NVH. There are before and after scopes online if you search online, and CRC did a Dyno I believe. Yes, it's their Dyno but they are the only place I have seen that seems to regularly do them to test difference cleaning products. You can also hear a lot of clanking in the cats when using it so it's probably cleaning them too, although that is hardly proof.Its basically a super concentrated PEA that dissolvees the deposits off. Be warned, You may burn off so much crap that the emissions system goes hay wire and you will go into limp mode mode, but just drive for a mile or two, turn off and restart.

I had found a thread somewhere that showed some additive difference. I had long been a seafoam fan but them chemicals in this were more robust unless I am mixing up products I looked into.

Last edited by SnakeEyeSS; 05-27-2018 at 02:15 PM.
SnakeEyeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 02:39 PM   #8
Gunmetalmissle

Drives: 16 ngm ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeEyeSS View Post
Are you putting the oil on your valves? That not how engines are supposed to work. In GDI the fuel is sprayed past the valves, the crap,,/oil that gets on there is hardly enough to clean anything, in fact that's the problem! If you are soaking the valves in oil might as well do the overwrought deep clean and hand scrubbing process. Nearly every GDI anymore calls for synthetic and uses it from the factory, yet people still have problems.
The deposits are largely from the oil that comes in contact with the valves from blow by, recirc, valve seals, etc. Synthetic oil leaves much less deposits behind when it burns off. In addition, GM supposedly went to great lengths to minimize the events that lead to build up so it is not necessarily the same as every other GDI engine.

Truck motor with 117k, and 3,000 mile Mobil 1 changes and minimal build up:

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=527593

Based on my research the experts seem to universally agree you do not want these deposits let loose through your engine as they cause damage.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=18
Gunmetalmissle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 03:10 PM   #9
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Almost all of these products are Polyetheramine (techron) and diesel fuel, with a few % pixie dust. And they don't really do much besides make smoke (diesel).

If you want your head cleaned, do a walnut shell treatment.

But until we see significant trends of excessive buildup in a lt1 or lt4 with documented performance hits, it's all a waste of money.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote