Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-20-2019, 05:25 PM   #1
BevoZL1

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Gen5 ZL1 vs 19 SS/1LE

Really on the fence about trading my ZL1 for the new SS/1LE. There are no videos that I have seen comparing the 2 cars while racing. Just curious if there are any gen6 owners who have beat the gen 5 ZL1 in the 1/4 mile at the strip? Is it really that much better than my Z, I don't feel like its straight line faster after my test drive the other day.
BevoZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 06:27 PM   #2
Blueclyde

Drives: 2023 ZLE
If you’re only interest is in 1/4 or 1/8 mile drag racing, then you should not be considering a 6th gen SS 1LE. Yes, you could take it to a drag strip but the SS 1LE is specifically configured for a road course.

If your 5th gen ZL1 is an automatic, it’s probably a better car for the drag strip. I’ve had 2 different 5th gen ZL1’s and they were both manuals. That is a great car. The manual trans was not so great for the drag strip. I did take one of those to a road course several times and it was great there. I can tell you that I have also had a 6th gen 2SS,without the 1LE package, and turned similar lap times to my 5th gen ZL1. In general, in stock form, the 6th gen SS is pretty equivalent to a 5th gen ZL1. Take it from someone that has had both.
Blueclyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 06:39 PM   #3
BevoZL1

Straight line speed is my passion and I am interested in getting into road course racing just haven't had the time. Regardless, I think your info about the two is great as I decide if I want to buy the new SS/1LE. Very hard to part with my manual ZL1 especially because it only has 5,000 miles on it. Do you think they feel the same power wise at WOT and the SC screaming vs the SS/1LE?
Old 03-20-2019, 06:50 PM   #4
Blueclyde

Quote:
Originally Posted by BevoZL1 View Post
Straight line speed is my passion and I am interested in getting into road course racing just haven't had the time. Regardless, I think your info about the two is great as I decide if I want to buy the new SS/1LE. Very hard to part with my manual ZL1 especially because it only has 5,000 miles on it. Do you think they feel the same power wise at WOT and the SC screaming vs the SS/1LE?
My last 5th gen was a 2014 ZL1 with a cold air intake and an ATI lower pulley with 5% overdrive on the SC. It was a manual transmission. I could never hook that car up at the drag strip and I’m convinced my 6th gen 2SS A8 would have turned a faster time at the drag strip. That said, the ZL1 sounded and felt considerably faster. I turned similar times at the same road course in both cars. The 6th gen SS is a sneaky fast and capable car, even if it doesn’t feel that way compared to a 5th gen ZL1. I think you would be better suited to move into a gently used 6th gen ZL1. You won’t be disappointed, as that will 100% feel faster and be faster than your 5th gen.
Old 03-20-2019, 07:15 PM   #5
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
I bought a 13 ZL1 M6 new and traded it for a 16 2SS A8. My very first 1/4 mile run in the SS was 0.3 sec faster than my best ZL1 pass.

The ZL1 was hard to get rolling but pulled hard once it was so it trapped 3 mph faster. That was in good air. When both cars are hot, the SS would take the gen5 ZL1 every time.

I now have a 2SS M6 but the tracks were closed for winter before I was past the break in mileage so I’ve never drag raced it. I expect the SS M6 will be equal to the ZL1 M6. Maybe a tenth faster if it’s not too bad to launch. The stock ZL1 was a be-otch.

If the car is a toy, keep the ZL1. If it’s driven, the gen6 is much, much better. You can feel the size/weight difference and the interior is nicer.

I think the new 1LE is the best Camaro of all time but the increased cost of tires/brakes ruled it out as a driver. The SS has everything needed for a amateur at the track (I’ve only been once).

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 08:08 PM   #6
BevoZL1

Thanks for the info guys. If I pull the trigger it will be a crush orange 1LE. The slightly used ZL1 6 gen is an option. But at that price point I would sacrifice speed for a bran new car that only I have touched. If I go this route I will factory order it.
Old 03-20-2019, 08:18 PM   #7
Blueclyde

Look, the 6th en SS 1LE is an awesome car for the money but it is a car that is configured for the road course. It is stiff and harsh to daily drive. You should drive it and then drive a loaded 2SS with an auto trans. Those are 8 speeds for 2018 and 10 speeds in 2019 That might be your best bet if you want to drag race. There are guys on here going seriously fast with 6th gen SS automatics with minor mods and drag radials.
Old 03-20-2019, 10:11 PM   #8
Bosse'sBoss

Drives: '16 Camaro SS 6 spd manual transm.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueclyde View Post
My last 5th gen was a 2014 ZL1 with a cold air intake and an ATI lower pulley with 5% overdrive on the SC. It was a manual transmission. I could never hook that car up at the drag strip and I’m convinced my 6th gen 2SS A8 would have turned a faster time at the drag strip. That said, the ZL1 sounded and felt considerably faster. I turned similar times at the same road course in both cars. The 6th gen SS is a sneaky fast and capable car, even if it doesn’t feel that way compared to a 5th gen ZL1. I think you would be better suited to move into a gently used 6th gen ZL1. You won’t be disappointed, as that will 100% feel faster and be faster than your 5th gen.
Automatic transmission would be faster, but you will lose the great driver involvement feeling of a manual transmission. My 5th gen ZL1 was automatic, my 6th gen has manual transmission. Guess which one I enjoy driving more? The 6 speed manual
'14 Camaro ZL1 w/. Recaro seats
'11 Mustang GT 5.0 w. track package
'02 Porsche 911 Carrera
'05 Infiniti G35 coupe sport
Bosse'sBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 08:20 AM   #9
Laststandard

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueclyde View Post
Look, the 6th en SS 1LE is an awesome car for the money but it is a car that is configured for the road course. It is stiff and harsh to daily drive.
Not really. Mag ride in tour mode is pretty darn comfy.

But yeah, if straight line is your concern I'd stick with an auto SS.
Old 03-21-2019, 09:44 AM   #10
Reaper_HWK

Drives: None yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by BevoZL1 View Post
Really on the fence about trading my ZL1 for the new SS/1LE. There are no videos that I have seen comparing the 2 cars while racing. Just curious if there are any gen6 owners who have beat the gen 5 ZL1 in the 1/4 mile at the strip? Is it really that much better than my Z, I don't feel like its straight line faster after my test drive the other day.
If all you do is want to beat a new SS in a drag race, why don't you just spend a few G's and increase the boost/program your ZL1? It would destroy a new SS then in a straight line anyway. I think you can safetly add another 150hp.
Reaper_HWK is offline   Reply With Quote