Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 03-15-2019, 04:28 PM   #1
yankee

Drives: 2018 Camaro LT RS, 2015 Mazda 3
How fast did you got used to the car's dimensions and field of view?

I did my first test drive today. The car feels awesome. Also, at least on the sides, I can see better than in my Mazda 3, which seems to have less window in the blind spot

The windshield, yes, is kind of small but I can bypass that.

My real issue, at least at first sight, was with the length of the car. It seems huge for what I am used to, like a big truck. No idea how to park it. No idea how much space I have in front of me or on the sides. I had to turn left / right from the middle of the lane to feel somewhat comfortable.

I am not complaining at all, I want to be somewhat sure that I will be comfortable with it after a while.

I want to go and buy it tomorrow. How fast did you got used to its dimensions?

Thanks!
yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 04:36 PM   #2
Azerlazer26

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS
Coming from a 2017 Honda Accord Touring sedan i got used to the size/visibility within a day or two. Length wise it was very similar to my Honda but visibility was the thing that I and most other people needed to get used to. Before you drive in tight spots, get a true feel for the car. Take it to an open space and experiment.
Azerlazer26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 04:37 PM   #3
Soleil

Drives: Camaro 50th anniversary edition
As I drive it only in sommer I need every spring a few weeks to get used to is. To park in front of a curb is always a challenge as mine is lower. and it is really difficult to judge the distance.
Soleil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 04:48 PM   #4
RobbyBeefcake87

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Size

I got used to the visibility almost immediately but, the rear view isn't much but to me is only an issue when parking and the camera takes care of that.

The footprint of the car took me a while, mostly from up close with the 1le's extra wide stance.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE - GM cai, black bowties, suede knee bolsters, 1le plate frame, black fuel door, dark tails + 3rd brake light, euro side markers + led's, GM all weather floor mats, velossatech big mouth, GM strut brace.
2017 Corvette Grandsport (sold) - untouched.
2006 GTO (sold) - iat relocation, air box mod, monero side marker lights.
RobbyBeefcake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 05:06 PM   #5
Mr_Jones
DaBatMan

Drives: "Candi" 2018 2LT RS M6
Coming from a VW CC I still dont feel confident enough to back in as I did with the VW in my single car garage. Overall the length is about the same but the Camaro is 2" wider and I cant quite judge all that junk in the trunk I'm carrying now, LOL. Its been a week... Maybe I'll man up and try it this weekend.

Current Wives: 2018 Camaro 2LT RS MT / 2008 Avalanche 5.3L AFM

Ex-GF's: 2010 VW CC Lux 2.0T/ 2004 Mazda RX-8 GT MT/ 2001 A6 3.0T MT/ 2001 Navigator / 1995 Accord EX MT
Mr_Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 05:11 PM   #6
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
When I get a new car, I find an empty parking lot on a Sunday afternoon and take a couple 1L Coke bottles to set out to see how close I can get , where the curb is and just the general dimensions of the car. Put 1 behind you and see how the camera works and how actually far it is , instead of just looking at the lines etc. etc.… You can prevent a lot of road rash this way.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 05:21 PM   #7
Amiaji

Drives: 2018 1SS Camaro
Once I figured out how to raise the seat up I had no problem seeing out of the car. the part that took me a while to get used to was the length of the hood. I had been driving a Frontier for the previous 20 years and it has a much shorter hood.
Amiaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 05:33 PM   #8
ItsChristianInHD

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2LT RS 3.6L
Took me a day or two. I came from a Cruze.
ItsChristianInHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 05:43 PM   #9
HCI2000SS

Drives: 2018 Camaro V6/RS
In most situations I don't find the visibility nearly as bad as the general masses would have you believe. The hardest parts for me are when having to turn on a steep incline or decline. When pulling into a parking spot I always error on the conservative side by parking back a bit. That long hood and low chin will creep up on a curb before you know it. Other than that I feel the car has fine visibility where it counts. Having the mirrors adjusted just right really help too
HCI2000SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 05:51 PM   #10
matt fe2o3

Drives: 2SS Hyper Blue
Just a few days for me. The issue of forward low windshield view went away quickly. The side -coupe blind-spots are an issue and mirrors, even with lane change alert don't help 100% - I might put some small mirrors out on the top outboard of the existing mirrors - second lane sight with mirrors is not great.

The rear is a lot closer to your butt than you think. It seems longer/farther back due to the rear window height and angle.

My wife had a 95' Mustang she bought new in 95' (handed down to son and RIP after 20 years - LOL) and the visibility on the sides was much better because the belt line was far lower.
Old 03-15-2019, 05:55 PM   #11
yankee

Drives: 2018 Camaro LT RS, 2015 Mazda 3
Did your first test drive put you in a bit of a doubt before getting the car?
I do like the car, maybe too much, but the field of view takes a portion of my excitement away. If you say that this will pass, I will buy it.

Going to the dealer tomorrow (I got a great offer, $9000 off MSRP for a 2.0 LT RS), which is pretty far from me so I don’t have time for extended test drives.

I only owned a Fiat Panda and a Mazda 3 to which I got very comfortable in 15 min. The Camaro seems like a space ship compared to those
yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 05:57 PM   #12
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
About 2000 miles.

Before then it was harder for me to judge distance on the right side and front of the car, as the curbs or obstacles disappear from view as you get near. Now, I can place the front within a few inches of where I want it when parking, and don't feel like I have to take right hand turns so wide.

It's more important to adjust the drivers seat and side mirrors optimally vs most cars. Side mirrors should be adjusted outward so you don't see the sides of the car anymore, the idea is they extend your view past where the rear view mirror ends.

And yes... it is a pretty big car for how much interior space it has.
DaveC113 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 06:14 PM   #13
Zboy136

Drives: Red Hot 17 1LE
On a 30 mins drive home I went from feeling super nervous of the field of view, to being completely fine and loving it.
Zboy136 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 06:32 PM   #14
DevilsReject97
Nightmare

Drives: Your mom crazy in bed
I never had any issues...she felt like a glove....