Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-02-2019, 04:22 PM   #57
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis SS View Post
Says the guys that wants to sell his product...hummm.
At the end of the day all your saying is a person denied a claim would have ways to fight it but, that doesn't always mean they would win.

IF you really want to sell to the guys who don't want to have their car sitting on a lot while they fight with GM or risk paying legal fees.. Put your money were your mouth is and get GM to approve your product as a add-on like some of the other manufactures have done with other products.

If not all I'm hearing from you is words words, words... Buy my product you can fight GM... words words words.... the Service mangers that you worked with for years don't know their jobs...word words words....
...or guarantee that the OE warranty will not be affected or they will step in to pay the bill and fight the dispute.

It would also be great for the Can manufactures to guarantee the valves will remain clean.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 04:35 PM   #58
Elite Engineering

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Thanks for the comments. While I completely agree, it just not an easy task.

We have worked with many of the engineers at GM Milford Proving Grounds (MPG) in Milford, MI for about 20 years, some are very close friends. Many of these engineers acknowledge the benefits, and actually have our Catch Cans installed on their own vehicles. But getting GM to approve any type of modification would take an act of congress.

I was at the proving grounds in September and spoke to a few engineers, and their response, "heck, we have a hard enough time getting the car owners to change their oil on a regular basis"
Elite Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 05:19 PM   #59
mdhopt36

Drives: '17- 1ag37 V6 traded, for 1SS 2018!
I think that last detail is the problem. If a CC is ignored in winter, you can bet the condensation will indeed freeze; and if full, will block the flow of crankcase fumes.
It wouldn't be long before a little crap on the intake stems of valves would be the least of worries.
mdhopt36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 05:31 PM   #60
94boosted

Drives: ‘17 1LE, ‘17 BMW 340, ‘18 F-150
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post
I agree with those statements.

Here's a link to the thread with more pics and info. So far all evidence points to LSPI and intake valve deposits being non-issues so far.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...gh+mileage+lt1
Thank you for sharing that thread, I've looked through all 19 pages of that thread and I think the thread does just the opposite (regarding deposits not LSPI). The only two posts with actual evidence (pictures):

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showp...&postcount=193

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showp...&postcount=232

Both clearly show what the intake valves look like with no CC, if we could get some pictures of motors with 50, 75 or even 100K miles I'm willing to bet we'd see a lot more carbon deposits.

Unfortunately 95% of that thread contains mostly anecdotal evidence (I don't have a catch can and I don't feel a difference in power after x miles) and banter from both sides.

A properly functioning catch can on the dirty side (PCV -> IM) of an LT1 will reduce the amount of oily vapor going past the intake valves, I don't think that statement can be argued. Exactly how much and whether or not it will lead to warranty issues is another issue.
Old 01-02-2019, 06:04 PM   #61
I`m Batman

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS M6
Everyone just have to remember that GM engineers are GODS and they designed a PERFECT engine. Any modification done to it, no matter how minor, it will damage the engine. They also don't have bean counters in the accounting to make them cut cost and pennies on little things so the engineers have free range and can design and produce a perfect engines.

What is GM ROI (Return On Investment) on putting an oil separator on that side? $0. Car will be out of warranty by the time any problems (if any) would pop up. Out of their hands.
I`m Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 09:52 PM   #62
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94boosted View Post
Thank you for sharing that thread, I've looked through all 19 pages of that thread and I think the thread does just the opposite (regarding deposits not LSPI). The only two posts with actual evidence (pictures):

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showp...&postcount=193

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showp...&postcount=232

Both clearly show what the intake valves look like with no CC, if we could get some pictures of motors with 50, 75 or even 100K miles I'm willing to bet we'd see a lot more carbon deposits.

Unfortunately 95% of that thread contains mostly anecdotal evidence (I don't have a catch can and I don't feel a difference in power after x miles) and banter from both sides.

A properly functioning catch can on the dirty side (PCV -> IM) of an LT1 will reduce the amount of oily vapor going past the intake valves, I don't think that statement can be argued. Exactly how much and whether or not it will lead to warranty issues is another issue.
I never said there would be no deposits, I said there's no evidence deposits accumulate to the point they cause a loss of power and require cleaning... the evidence so far supports that conclusion. If you drive at high load/high rpm and get the intake valves over the temperatures mentioned in the video I posted it may also mitigate the formation of deposits. So, not only do we need more pics of intake valves on LT1s, but we need to know how the car was driven as well.

I'm sure plenty of GM engineers know all the answers to this issue but can't say anything. If GM figured out how to make a GDI motor without deposit issues and without adding port injection that would be a competitive advantage. I think it's likely they did accomplish this on the LT1, they knew about these issues for years before the LT1 ever came out. I just can't see the LT1s requiring expensive cleanings like earlier GDI motors but who knows...

I'm not anti-catchcan, I'm anti-people spending money on something they don't need AND possibly losing the warranty on their motor just to make spending that cash they didn't need to spend all the sweeter. It's questionable if the MM warranty act covers CCs, probably NOT, and who wants to find out? So much money and PITA...

As I said, if you're running a lot of boost/custom tune/tracking a lot by all means use a CC, I would.
DaveC113 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 10:21 AM   #63
94boosted

Quote:
I never said there would be no deposits, I said there's no evidence deposits accumulate to the point they cause a loss of power and require cleaning... the evidence so far supports that conclusion. If you drive at high load/high rpm and get the intake valves over the temperatures mentioned in the video I posted it may also mitigate the formation of deposits. So, not only do we need more pics of intake valves on LT1s, but we need to know how the car was driven as well.

I'm sure plenty of GM engineers know all the answers to this issue but can't say anything. If GM figured out how to make a GDI motor without deposit issues and without adding port injection that would be a competitive advantage. I think it's likely they did accomplish this on the LT1, they knew about these issues for years before the LT1 ever came out. I just can't see the LT1s requiring expensive cleanings like earlier GDI motors but who knows...

I'm not anti-catchcan, I'm anti-people spending money on something they don't need AND possibly losing the warranty on their motor just to make spending that cash they didn't need to spend all the sweeter. It's questionable if the MM warranty act covers CCs, probably NOT, and who wants to find out? So much money and PITA...

As I said, if you're running a lot of boost/custom tune/tracking a lot by all means use a CC, I would.
I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree, the "evidence" in the thread you linked thus far shows quite a bit of deposits on lower mileage LT1's, it'll be some time before there is a larger sample pool, especially of higher mileage motors.

I personally feel that for the cost of a CC (~$150) it's money well spent as you're without a doubt reducing the amount of carbon deposits on the intake valves. Are you reducing the deposits by 10, 50 or 90% is not known and subject to many different factors, but you are reducing them.

As for the warranty issue, I've personally ran a CC on many of my own cars over the years and have never had any warranty/dealer problems nor have I ever heard of anyone having warranty troubles because of a CC. That's not to say it can't happen though. In the event of a serious warranty issue one could also spend the <10 minutes to remove their CC but that's unscrupulous.
Old 01-03-2019, 10:30 AM   #64
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94boosted View Post
I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree, the "evidence" in the thread you linked thus far shows quite a bit of deposits on lower mileage LT1's, it'll be some time before there is a larger sample pool, especially of higher mileage motors.

I personally feel that for the cost of a CC (~$150) it's money well spent as you're without a doubt reducing the amount of carbon deposits on the intake valves. Are you reducing the deposits by 10, 50 or 90% is not known and subject to many different factors, but you are reducing them.

As for the warranty issue, I've personally ran a CC on many of my own cars over the years and have never had any warranty/dealer problems nor have I ever heard of anyone having warranty troubles because of a CC. That's not to say it can't happen though. In the event of a serious warranty issue one could also spend the <10 minutes to remove their CC but that's unscrupulous.
How do you qualify "quite a bit of deposits?"

And how do you know they are having any effect at all? Why do you think they will continue to build up over time? That's FAR too many assumptions!

Your assumption that GM doesn't have the resources or knowledge to build a motor that won't suffer the same exact problems as motors many years ago is also quite a stretch. IDK why you'd buy the car if you felt that way.

As I said, people spending money they don't need to, risking screwing up the install or not emptying the can, and risking losing their warranty over a conspiracy theory is ridiculous. IMO you have far more to lose than to gain by using one on a stock motor. And all GM engineers seem to agree with me, so I'll just stop here.
DaveC113 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 11:27 AM   #65
Elite Engineering

Drives: 2010 Camaro

As for LSPI, if you use one of the major brands of full synthetic, unlike just a year ago where only Amsoil had the new additive that now M1 and most big name brand full synthetics that renders the mixture of oil mist and fuel less explosive so the incidence of broken pistons has greatly been reduced, but is still an issue.

We have shared the results in pictures in the past to show examples, but here is more:

Here shows the most common failure we see, the land broken but piston as a whole is still mainly intact. Symptoms are excessive oil consumption and added blow-by:

And here is a more severe example where the piston has broken off completely resulting in severe damage:

Now, lets address intake valve coking. And anyone can do this themselves. Simply on the same day, and same dyno, if you have 20k or more miles do a baseline dyno and then remove your intake manifold and perform a manual intake valve cleaning. Then do an after dyno and see right there the proof.

Here is a C7 LT1 before and after intake valve cleaning:

As you can see studying the chart, the gains increase at higher RPM's, but coking's first symptom to be noticed is a stumble or hesitation off idle as these deposits disrupt the incoming airflow. But don't take our word for it, do it yourself and see.

Then we address the claim that we "fabricated" the FTC report to sell more cans? In the past decades, with over 20,000 of our cans in use, only 1 instance of a warranty being voided. And it was a failed oil pump (impossible to have any affect on the oil pump, and GM LS engines are well known for oil pump issues. When the owner had the oil pump replaced, they found it was in fact the stuck relief valve that is so common and that was disproved. That is the ONLY case. Now, some mentioned a "guarantee"? First of all, there is not a single parts supplier that offers such a guarantee. No header company, brake company, CAI company, zero. So, that would not be possible, and as the FTC site explains, it is a simple process to file a complaint. But again, as our systems retain a closed emissions compliant system that has zero negative effects, in fact it is impossible. And as our E2 and E2-X systems (unlike most every other can) traps far more at 90-95% effective, the mixture does not freeze solid. It is a mix of water, raw fuel, acids, oil, and abrasive particulate matter. Also keep in mind a small 2-3oz capacity can that is only 30% or so effective will trap mainly water and oil and over fill where our smallest E2 and E2-X is 16 oz's making this highly unlikely, and with many customers in Canada using these in -20-30 below temps, not a single instance has ever been seen with ours.

Now, on warranties again, a can that opens and vents to the atmosphere definitely could be grounds as un-metered air can enter causing a lean condition, and many do defeat, reduce, or otherwise alter the factory PCV system to be less effective where ours in every way improves on the engine life.

Lot's more to share technically if anyone wishes, and anyone believing they don't need one, we respect your opinion and while we provide facts and data, we ask why you are dead set on convincing others to not install one? Do you do this with a CAI or headers or even other tires? No, so please respect those that do choose to benefit from these.

Questions? Just ask us.
Elite Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 01:15 PM   #66
Whocares05050

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite Engineering View Post
Questions? Just ask us.
I am afraid that you are just talking to the wall with "some" here. No matter how much.evidence and proof you provide, their response with always be "GM engineers are smarter than you and they said it doesnt need one and this LT1 is lightyears better than other DI engines"... 🤯🤣🤣
Whocares05050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 02:07 PM   #67
Soleil

Drives: Camaro 50th anniversary edition
And all their brothers and sisters are working for FORD because they claim the same.
It is so funny to follow those discussions. If they want (every manufacturer)they could build a product wich never falls apart. But why should they.
Think of our blender, washing machine, dryer, coffee machine, TV.......
Soleil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 02:41 PM   #68
94boosted

Quote:
How do you qualify "quite a bit of deposits?"

And how do you know they are having any effect at all? Why do you think they will continue to build up over time? That's FAR too many assumptions!

Your assumption that GM doesn't have the resources or knowledge to build a motor that won't suffer the same exact problems as motors many years ago is also quite a stretch. IDK why you'd buy the car if you felt that way.

As I said, people spending money they don't need to, risking screwing up the install or not emptying the can, and risking losing their warranty over a conspiracy theory is ridiculous. IMO you have far more to lose than to gain by using one on a stock motor. And all GM engineers seem to agree with me, so I'll just stop here.
They're present and very much visible on low mileage motors, that's how I'd qualify "quite a bit of deposits", it's not a quantitative term. As for their effects on the engine, power output, fuel mileage etc. I'm not claiming to know the exact impact.

Why I think they will continue to build up over time? Logic. If the deposits have built up when the engine has X miles they will continue building up when the engine is at Y miles, unless you remove the cause (oily vapor). The rate at which these deposits build up I don't claim to know, perhaps it's linear perhaps not.

Not once did I say that GM is incapable of building such a motor however it's easy to see why a manufacturer wouldn't install a catch can or catch can like device from the factory, it would require periodic maintenance by the customer. People can't be bothered to read the owners manual, check tire pressures or oil levels let alone drain a CC. Not to mention by the time these deposits are bad enough to actually cause a measurable power or fuel mileage loss chances are the Powertrain Warranty is over.

I'm certain that GDI Engine Technology as well as Oil's themselves have made improvements from the early days of GDI engines, which were awful (I personally had a BMW with an N54 and did my own walnut blast of the valves and intake runners when the car had ~45K miles and was appalled by how many deposits were presents). Again to reiterate, I'm NOT saying that the LT1 is as bad as the N54.

Last edited by 94boosted; 01-03-2019 at 10:36 PM.
94boosted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 03:11 PM   #69
Memphis SS

Drives: 2017 SS A8 Hyper Blue/White Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite Engineering View Post

Lot's more to share technically if anyone wishes, and anyone believing they don't need one, we respect your opinion and while we provide facts and data, we ask why you are dead set on convincing others to not install one? Do you do this with a CAI or headers or even other tires? No, so please respect those that do choose to benefit from these.

Questions? Just ask us.

With all due respect you are a little out of line here. This is the Camaro6 forum, last time I checked it is for Camaro owners to discuss and debate products, as well as express their opinion. As a supporting vendor I would think you would provide product specs and information and not try to dictate discussions.

And yes I've seen several other products come under fire or recommend in topics over the years.

Last edited by Memphis SS; 01-03-2019 at 09:00 PM.
Memphis SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 08:45 PM   #70
I`m Batman

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS M6
Coming from an outside view this is what I see...

All I see is one side is saying that you should have one and presented proof after proofs with Dyno charts, pictures, videos...

Then the other side just say NO, YOU'RE WRONG! With no proofs or dynos or pictures, maybe just butt dyno... JUST NO because someone said so and they said so.
I`m Batman is offline   Reply With Quote