Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Transmissions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-27-2017, 05:06 PM   #1
LtColumbo

Drives: 2017 1LT RS V6 A8, 2020 Fusion
BUMP like getting rear ended...

I only have about 1400 miles on the car, but 2-3 times so far, while slowing down to pull right into a driveway, just as I enter the driveway, I get a BUMP from the rear end, almost feels like getting rear ended. I'm sure it's a transmission downshift or some such thing, but it has only done it while turning into a driveway a few times. It has never done it while just coming to a normal stop going straight.

Thoughts??
LtColumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 05:16 PM   #2
ninetres

Drives: Crush ZLE M6 | 2000 Corvette FRC
My 2017 ZL1 a10 does this. Super annoying
ninetres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 07:54 PM   #3
F_Two

Drives: 2020 1SS 1LE
The entrance to my work has a pretty good rising slope, when I make a right turn into the entrance I feel a slight "bump" and can only assume my rear passenger tire is coming off the ground as the front of the car rises up, the weight transfers to the driver's side, and the stiff frame makes the rear wheel lose contact. The "bump" seems to happen about the time the right rear of the car would start to go over the rise in the entrance.

I never feel a "right turn bump" on flat surface turns.
F_Two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 09:50 PM   #4
TRI6

Drives: 2014 CamaroCross Stock V6 1st Place
Angry 2017 Camaro SS Right Rear thump

When turning to the right and going up the slope to my driveway, the car thumps like the transmission is downshifting. At first the dealer said it was the anti-rollback kicking in. On my second dealer visit for the issue, I was told there was a service bulletin that called for torquing some of the rear link bolts, but this did not correct the problem. I had the head mechanic ride to my house and I showed him how the car clunked. Now after my third visit to the dealer I am being told that the traction control was kicking in and that created the clunk. I still think there is an issue the mechanics just can't put their fingers on. I thought about finding another 2017 SS automatic owner and ask him to drive to the house to see it he would have the same clunk.
TRI6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 04:57 PM   #5
davidbolt

Drives: 2016 silver ss1 A8
Mine dose the same thing.. feels like tire is coming off the ground.. my driveway slopes up a good bit.. I just ignore it now
davidbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 06:37 PM   #6
Wierd Harold

Drives: 2017 2lt rs
Right hand turn? I'll bet it's the differential .
Wierd Harold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 06:51 PM   #7
Kamaro223
Kamaro223

Drives: 2016 RS/LT Camaros
I'm having the same issue, but turning doesn't affect it. Straight, turning, coasting, breaking...I have a bump from behind in what I believe is the 5-4 downshift. Dealers have come along on ride alongs, but it never does it bad enough when they are in the car. I finally am using a G-meter on my phone which captures the feeling. You can clearly see between a normal downshift and the bump from behind downshift. If anyone finds a solution...PLLLLLLLLLLLEASE SHARE. I'm ready to sell this damn thing.
It absolutely sucks to drive this car!!
Old 12-08-2017, 05:31 PM   #8
LtColumbo

Definitely not suspension related. Not a tire coming off the ground. Going VERY slowly (walking pace or less) it still does this. It does feel like differential (feels like getting rear ended), but could be the trans dropping into first while turning??
Old 01-08-2018, 05:27 PM   #9
LtColumbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtColumbo View Post
Definitely not suspension related. Not a tire coming off the ground. Going VERY slowly (walking pace or less) it still does this. It does feel like differential (feels like getting rear ended), but could be the trans dropping into first while turning??
Thinking about this, it can't be the diff as it's an open diff, not limited slip or locking. And someone with an A10 has the same problem.
Old 01-08-2018, 07:16 PM   #10
Chazzz

Drives: 2018 1LT RS V6 A8 Convertible
My best guess is it is sadly an early A8 issue. Hopefully the problem will be found and resolved with limited headaches.
Chazzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 07:30 PM   #11
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazzz View Post
My best guess is it is sadly an early A8 issue. Hopefully the problem will be found and resolved with limited headaches.
My A8 is doing the same on our driveway, just about two seconds before I reach the garage door. Hard to get used to it.

I'd hesitate to call this "early"It's the third model year for the Camaro alone with the A8, and several other GM cars and trucks have used it for years.

I suspect it's a software issue and could be tuned out, given that someone else in this thread also has the same issue with the A10. At the same time I'm pretty reluctant to give up my warranty when the transmission is so likely to need flushes and new torque converters down the road...
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 07:55 PM   #12
Chazzz

Drives: 2018 1LT RS V6 A8 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
My A8 is doing the same on our driveway, just about two seconds before I reach the garage door. Hard to get used to it.

I'd hesitate to call this "early"It's the third model year for the Camaro alone with the A8, and several other GM cars and trucks have used it for years.

I suspect it's a software issue and could be tuned out, given that someone else in this thread also has the same issue with the A10. At the same time I'm pretty reluctant to give up my warranty when the transmission is so likely to need flushes and new torque converters down the road...
Agreed , what I meant by early is the fact that he only has 1400 miles on the car and it is already more than likely having A8 issues.
Chazzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 08:38 PM   #13
LtColumbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazzz View Post
Agreed , what I meant by early is the fact that he only has 1400 miles on the car and it is already more than likely having A8 issues.
I picked the car up (new) from the dealer with 50 miles on it. Dealer trade. I drove it about 2 miles before buying it. It seemed fine! After that, I drove it about a mile to a restaurant. Turning right into the restaurant parking lot, BANG! I literally looked behind me to see of I had been rear-ended! (That has happened to me before...hit and run when I pulled into a driveway.)

Other than some annoying converter lock/unlock every time you lift off the gas and reapply gas, the trans has shifted OK. I'm at 3,400 mi now. I think the car was built May 2017.
Old 01-09-2018, 08:30 PM   #14
Kamaro223
Kamaro223

Drives: 2016 RS/LT Camaros
I starting noticing problems under 1000 miles. I just turned 18k with 5 trips to 2 dealers and no one can fix it. I took it to a third dealer and the guy didn't even know it had an 8 speed so I didn't bother telling him anything else.
The break in excuses are bullshit. The "car needs to learn how you drive" excuses are bullshit. The "that's normal" excuses are bullshit. Where are the answers GM?!?!?!