Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Transmissions

Phastek Performance

Old 12-23-2016, 02:19 PM   #1
JaxChris

Drives: '16 2SS GD1 MX0 NPP F55 IO6
Requirements for eLSD/PTM transplant to SS?

GM doesn't plan to offer a "kit" for this, which is unfortunate.

We all pretty much know that modern systems prevent an affordable change between auto & manual cars -- but what about switching to the eLSD? Am I wrong in thinking it only requires a single harness run to the rear and an update to the BCM & HMI to support the eLSD swap? I can't imagine there is a major physical interface difference on the BCM to support the I/O for the eLSD.

<fantasy>GM offered all goodies on each trim of V8 Camaros, including eLSD, PTM, PDR, rear end ratios, etc</fantasy>
JaxChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 03:24 PM   #2
travislambert

Drives: '17 ZL1
I had the same question.

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=477258
travislambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 03:45 PM   #3
travislambert

From what I found, the physical wiring is trivial. It's simply a new module that ties into the GM LAN. Whether or not the software will align and work correctly... who knows. I think there's a chance it could work without a software update, especially on the '17s.

I suppose somebody will try it at some point.
Old 12-24-2016, 11:05 AM   #4
1LE caSSper

Drives: White 1LE
This could be interesting for everyone else especially the other track junkies ^^
1LE caSSper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 10:06 PM   #5
JaxChris

BCM programming shouldn't be an issue. Now, if there is a different part number from '16 to '17 on the SS, then the '16s would possibly be SOL.

As for wiring, most of the harnesses just are modular for every vehicle using the Alpha platform -- Camaro included.

My biggest concern is software on the HMI. The '16 & '17 MY's have a different HMI unit with more RAM and the image from those HMI's are likely not compatible with the '16 MY. I believe most of the control modules in Alpha can be set to VIN learning mode using a GM MDI2.

Ofer said he was working on getting the PDR parts and putting together a kit/service to add it to the '16 & '17 SS owners. If he is able to get PDR on the '16 HMI (or perform a HMI swap into '16 MY's) then PTM can be done as well.

To those wondering why look at the cost of adding these parts... well GM canned 3rd shift LGRAP, cut total production output by 50% after winter freeze and is not setting a dealer commitment for ZL1. That means inventory will never be on the lot and discounts will never be available. With so many SS owners that got 15-25% off their car, if it only takes 5k to add PTM/eLSD/PDR and another 7k for LT4 or 10k for even bigger power, that puts the SS owners at equal or better abilities and only being into their car for about 45-50k -- not 70k.

We won't get to enjoy the A10 transmission, but for 20k less I can deal with that.

If GM didn't have developmental delays associated with the A10 that pushed back its' launch for the ZL1 and the ordering banks had officially opened before people started getting 2016 closeout deals, then maybe more people would've waited for the ZL1. If you already bought the SS, jumped to the ZL1 within 2 years is a total waste of capital and negative equity will increase your total ZL1 investment to 80k.

Sorry, I got carried away in the post.

tl;dr = '16 SS discount ruled, add lots of stuff, not spend an extra 20k on top of all that for ZL1, unless you really want that A10 tranny (which I do, but not for another 20k)
Old 12-28-2016, 07:52 AM   #6
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxChris View Post
BCM programming shouldn't be an issue. Now, if there is a different part number from '16 to '17 on the SS, then the '16s would possibly be SOL.

As for wiring, most of the harnesses just are modular for every vehicle using the Alpha platform -- Camaro included.

My biggest concern is software on the HMI. The '16 & '17 MY's have a different HMI unit with more RAM and the image from those HMI's are likely not compatible with the '16 MY. I believe most of the control modules in Alpha can be set to VIN learning mode using a GM MDI2.

Ofer said he was working on getting the PDR parts and putting together a kit/service to add it to the '16 & '17 SS owners. If he is able to get PDR on the '16 HMI (or perform a HMI swap into '16 MY's) then PTM can be done as well.

To those wondering why look at the cost of adding these parts... well GM canned 3rd shift LGRAP, cut total production output by 50% after winter freeze and is not setting a dealer commitment for ZL1. That means inventory will never be on the lot and discounts will never be available. With so many SS owners that got 15-25% off their car, if it only takes 5k to add PTM/eLSD/PDR and another 7k for LT4 or 10k for even bigger power, that puts the SS owners at equal or better abilities and only being into their car for about 45-50k -- not 70k.

We won't get to enjoy the A10 transmission, but for 20k less I can deal with that.

If GM didn't have developmental delays associated with the A10 that pushed back its' launch for the ZL1 and the ordering banks had officially opened before people started getting 2016 closeout deals, then maybe more people would've waited for the ZL1. If you already bought the SS, jumped to the ZL1 within 2 years is a total waste of capital and negative equity will increase your total ZL1 investment to 80k.

Sorry, I got carried away in the post.

tl;dr = '16 SS discount ruled, add lots of stuff, not spend an extra 20k on top of all that for ZL1, unless you really want that A10 tranny (which I do, but not for another 20k)

I don't see how you don't think the BCM isn't an issue, it "IS" the only and most major issue of the whole upgrade. You can get all of the hard parts and install them, though it may not be cost effective you can do it.

You wont get around programming the BCM via the dealer / GM, that part wont happen at all in regards to a true OEM offering. You cant just take a BCM from a Camaro that has eLSD and put it into a car that doesn't and it will work, doesn't work like that. The BCM is VIN tied to the vehicle it comes from, in order for it to work the VIN has to match that vehicle.

The dealer can only program the BCM calibration for your VIN into the BCM, that happens when the log into the GM Global system and contact the mothership. Even if you try to provide a VIN from a Camaro that has eLSD it wont work as it will fail the VIN check.

The only option would be if Chris White has broke the code for the Camaro ZL1/1LE BCM and can do a segment swap into your BCM. He will have to have your BCM to do this. He knows his stuff and can work wonders on GM BCM mods.

The only downside if you ever go to the dealership for any warranty work and there is an update for your VIN/BCM, that update will erase the modified BCM calibration that Chris puts in your BCM. Then you will have to ship him your BCM again for him to re-flash it. You cant even have a second BCM waiting either since they have to be programmed on the vehicle for them to work, you cant really "hot swap" the BCM.

GM is getting smart, they are taking out every loop hole they can in regards to mods. Litigation has shown that ever years down the road the manufactures can be held liable for changes made to a vehicle, so now those manufactures are doing what they can to prevent those unauthorized mods.

Heck, last year the domestic manufactures were trying to get it passed where it was a federal offense to tamper with any of the computer systems on the vehicles with aftermarket programming, in essence they were trying to maintain control over the ECM/TCM/BCM permanently because of down the road repercussions.
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 09:02 AM   #7
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Has anyone priced the full eLSD? I can only imagine how much it would be...

Remember, you would need the full center section, as the pumpkin is different too, as are the axles...not even getting into the other stuff. Like on my car I can see what looks like a little computer plugged into the diff too.
Old 12-30-2016, 02:34 AM   #8
JaxChris

I'm not entirely convinced that the BCM has to be different. Using a CANBUS type vehicle LAN, the eLSD could have its' own controller module mounted anywhere in/on the vehicle and it would only request data points from other modules in making its' determination -- not receiving orders from the BCM.

I still think the bigger challenge is whether the PTM interface can be flashed to the existing HMI's; which is more of a challenge for 2016 cars than 2017 MY.

But again, all a pipe dream until more technical data is available.
Old 02-23-2019, 02:25 PM   #9
EDFHOBBIES
Dyno Show Queen LOL

Drives: 16 SS & 17 ZL1 Both Yellow
Send a message via Skype™ to EDFHOBBIES
I came across a zl1 1le entire diff, axles, and driveshaft for 1000.00 if installed can it be used with out the elsd as an upgrade for strength then modified to use elsd when they figure a patch or hack?

Kong Ported 2650, Crawford Racing Port Injection, Weapon X 112mm Adapter, NW112mm TB, Livernois Ported LT4 Heads, Lingenfelter GT32 stealth cam, Haltech Elite, and Carbon by Trufiber
EDFHOBBIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 08:44 AM   #10
travislambert

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDFHOBBIES View Post
I came across a zl1 1le entire diff, axles, and driveshaft for 1000.00 if installed can it be used with out the elsd as an upgrade for strength then modified to use elsd when they figure a patch or hack?
It would probably bolt up, but unless the wiring and software stars aligned you'd just have an open differential. That would be a major downgrade.

If you want a factory option for upgraded strength, maybe look into getting a differential from a ZL1 convertible?

2023 Camaro SS 1LE A10
2023 Camaro ZL1 1LE M6
2017 Camaro ZL1 M6
2016 Camaro SS M6 w/LT4 (Sold)
Old 02-24-2019, 09:55 AM   #11
EDFHOBBIES
Dyno Show Queen LOL

Convertible diff, axels and driveshaft?

Kong Ported 2650, Crawford Racing Port Injection, Weapon X 112mm Adapter, NW112mm TB, Livernois Ported LT4 Heads, Lingenfelter GT32 stealth cam, Haltech Elite, and Carbon by Trufiber
Old 02-24-2019, 10:25 AM   #12
travislambert

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDFHOBBIES View Post
Convertible diff, axels and driveshaft?
Yeah, but I'm only suggesting to investigate the option if you're looking to upgrade. I don't know that everything will fit perfectly. I suspect it'll work just fine, but sometimes there are unforeseen differences.

2023 Camaro SS 1LE A10
2023 Camaro ZL1 1LE M6
2017 Camaro ZL1 M6
2016 Camaro SS M6 w/LT4 (Sold)
Old 02-24-2019, 12:23 PM   #13
EDFHOBBIES
Dyno Show Queen LOL

Okay ty

Old 02-25-2019, 07:01 AM   #14
DorkMissile

Drives: 18 1SS 1LE HyperBlue
FYI - The ELSD center section will not bolt into the SS cradle - you will need the 1LR/ZL1 rear cradle also. I have seen whole rear cradles with he diff, axles, suspension on eBay for $1300