Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 03-10-2019, 10:37 PM   #1
protovack

Drives: 2019 2LT 2.0T M6 Riverside Blue
Tracking a stock 2.0T

I'd like to do some light tracking in my new 2.0T.
I do not have the heavy duty cooling and brake package.
I have a small amount of track experience and most likely I'd be running in the C group, going about 7/10. Basically I just want to have fun, whip around the track a little, but not trying to post record times or anything.

I was thinking of getting the front brembo upgrade kit, and putting in Castrol SRF.

Will I run into any over-heating issues engine wise? If so, what is the worst that will happen?

thanks
protovack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 12:06 AM   #2
RobertAvitia
BYND GARAGE

Drives: 17' 1LT Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by protovack View Post
I have a small amount of track experience and most likely I'd be running in the C group, going about 7/10. Basically I just want to have fun, whip around the track a little, but not trying to post record times or anything.

I was thinking of getting the front brembo upgrade kit, and putting in Castrol SRF.

Will I run into any over-heating issues engine wise? If so, what is the worst that will happen?

thanks
I’ve tracked my car with out any issues. Also stock and have a track day this weekend too.
RobertAvitia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 12:29 AM   #3
Start The Machine

Drives: 2016 M6 2.0T
Quote:

thanks
Are you wanting to do auto x or road courses? Where do you plan to track the car at? The Ridge? Pacific Raceways?
RS Package, HD Cooling Package, Brembo 6 Piston Front Brakes, SRP Racing Pedals, Soler Performance Throttle Controller, Dyno Tuned by Trifecta, Velossa Tech Ram Air, Mishimoto Intake, aFe Air Filter, Mishimoto Charge Pipes, ZZP 67mm Throttle Body, Trifecta T40 Stage 2 Turbo, JacFab Recirculation Valve, PTP Turbo Blanket, ZZP Catted Downpipe, Mishimoto Pro Cat-Back Quad Tip Exhaust, Mishimoto Catch Cans, Mishimoto Coolant Reservoir Tank, GM SEMA Grill, Ikon Motorsports Front Fascia Extension, Ikon Motorsports 1LE Spoiler, American Authority ZL1 Side Skirts, AMPP Quad Tip Rear Valance
Start The Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 02:38 PM   #4
protovack

Hah, I see you are from the PNW

I live in Elma, so the Ridge. I've been to the Turn2 track days in the past and had a blast.
Old 03-11-2019, 04:51 PM   #5
Start The Machine

Quote:
Hah, I see you are from the PNW

I live in Elma, so the Ridge. I've been to the Turn2 track days in the past and had a blast.
I'd imagine you would be fine with just the stock non-hd cooling package radiators on a road course. I don't think there is an aftermarket option for just the main radiator. Mishimoto makes an oil cooler for our cars though$$$

I plan on doing the Track Night in America thing. I haven't looked into Turn 2 yet? Do you have a preference?
RS Package, HD Cooling Package, Brembo 6 Piston Front Brakes, SRP Racing Pedals, Soler Performance Throttle Controller, Dyno Tuned by Trifecta, Velossa Tech Ram Air, Mishimoto Intake, aFe Air Filter, Mishimoto Charge Pipes, ZZP 67mm Throttle Body, Trifecta T40 Stage 2 Turbo, JacFab Recirculation Valve, PTP Turbo Blanket, ZZP Catted Downpipe, Mishimoto Pro Cat-Back Quad Tip Exhaust, Mishimoto Catch Cans, Mishimoto Coolant Reservoir Tank, GM SEMA Grill, Ikon Motorsports Front Fascia Extension, Ikon Motorsports 1LE Spoiler, American Authority ZL1 Side Skirts, AMPP Quad Tip Rear Valance
Old 03-12-2019, 01:28 AM   #6
protovack

i have not done a track night in america but I'd like to try it sometime.

http://www.turn2lapping.com/

Turn2 track days have 3 run groups that go every 20 minutes all day. There is food, full staff, turn workers, EMS, it's a well run organization, professional, but very personable people.They use www.motorsportsreg.com for registration. $350/day, and lots of days from April to October. They also do an afternoon/evening lapping session that is a bit cheaper, when the days get longer, that I haven't tried yet.

Yea I think I would be fine with stock everything, at least for a while. I think with this car, I'll try to get away from the whole WOT after every exit, aim for your absolute top safe speed before the next turn, and then slam the brakes to make the turn, then repeat. I'm going to focus on running a smooth line, making my shift in advance, and diving into the corners without having to mash my brakes beforehand. I once had an instructor tell me to try driving a road course without any brakes whatsoever. He was teaching me to modulate my throttle inputs and think ahead. No brakes forces you to pick a perfect line and modulate your throttle at all times, before, during, and after the turn. It also forces you to think ahead to the next turn and not over-accelerate. Also, this kind of throttle management can help you stay in the boost.

Stock 2.0T seems like a great car to try that in

Last edited by protovack; 03-12-2019 at 01:39 AM.
Old 03-12-2019, 09:15 AM   #7
Start The Machine

Quote:
i have not done a track night in america but I'd like to try it sometime.

http://www.turn2lapping.com/

Turn2 track days have 3 run groups that go every 20 minutes all day. There is food, full staff, turn workers, EMS, it's a well run organization, professional, but very personable people.They use www.motorsportsreg.com for registration. $350/day, and lots of days from April to October. They also do an afternoon/evening lapping session that is a bit cheaper, when the days get longer, that I haven't tried yet.

Yea I think I would be fine with stock everything, at least for a while. I think with this car, I'll try to get away from the whole WOT after every exit, aim for your absolute top safe speed before the next turn, and then slam the brakes to make the turn, then repeat. I'm going to focus on running a smooth line, making my shift in advance, and diving into the corners without having to mash my brakes beforehand. I once had an instructor tell me to try driving a road course without any brakes whatsoever. He was teaching me to modulate my throttle inputs and think ahead. No brakes forces you to pick a perfect line and modulate your throttle at all times, before, during, and after the turn. It also forces you to think ahead to the next turn and not over-accelerate. Also, this kind of throttle management can help you stay in the boost.

Stock 2.0T seems like a great car to try that in
Thanks for the info. I can't wait to finally get this thing on an actual track this year. PM me what dates you plan to run.

Also, PM me if you have any questions or need help wrenching on this car. I've installed every engine mod myself in my garage. If you ever plan to tune your car, go see Vince with Trifecta in Kirkland. He will dial you in.