Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-02-2019, 03:30 AM   #1
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
HP tunes locked to programer or can anyone tune it after 1st tune

say I got my car tuned with HP tuners and the guy goes out of business. would I have to buy new credits all over again to get a retune or could anyone retune it with HP. Im wondering if I should buy my own MPV12.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 04:32 AM   #2
wnta1ss

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
Think you have the terms mixed together here.

Credits are the license to tune the vehicle. They are tied to a specific HPT MPVI device and VIN. So if the original tuner skips town, then yes, you would need to buy more credits for another device to be able to tune and flash the car again. This could only be done though, if the first tuner did not lock the tune.

Lock is something where the tuner makes it so the tune cannot be read by anybody else and not rewritten by anybody else. Basically they are taking full control of your ECM, so it's not yours anymore.
wnta1ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 04:36 AM   #3
JCunningham

so i should get my own MVP12 then that way i will always have my tune and never have to buy more credits.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
Old 03-02-2019, 05:37 AM   #4
wnta1ss

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCunningham View Post
so i should get my own MVP12 then that way i will always have my tune and never have to buy more credits.
If you do that, then yes, you could have the credits that you bought tied to your own device. Should need 4 credits for the 2017 Camaro ECM. Since you have an M6, you will avoid the extra TCM credits and unlocking costs.

Issue will be, who tunes it? You might find a tuner who is willing to use your laptop/device (therefore using your credits) or you might not. You would need to discuss it with your prospective tuners. Since these 2017+ cars take so many credits, this should have an effect on how much the tuner charges you. If the tuner does not have to pay 200 dollars buying credits for their device, it should reflect in a lower price. But each tuner has their own ideas so you will need to figure it out. If your tuner insists on using their own device, make sure first, that they do not lock the tune.
wnta1ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 09:09 AM   #5
Dysan911

Drives: 2017 50th Anniversary 2SS
If i'm not mistaken. You typically would buy credits for yourself and then also buy a set of credits for your tuner so that he can tune the file on his side and then he sends you the file and the credits you have allow you to write it to your pcm.
Former Ride: 17 Camaro 2SS, M6 - Fifty | Procharger P1SC | 3.7 Pulley | Stage 2 IC | Race Bypass | DSX FF Kit | JRE Custom E85 Flex Fuel Tune | LT4 Fuel System | JMS Voltage Booster | MSD Plug Wires | American Racing 1-7/8's LT Headers Full System Catback | Baro Breakout Harness | LT4 Map Sensor | Katech Ported TB | MMS Oil Catch Can | 160 Thermo | Solo Performance J-Pipes

Dysan911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 12:37 AM   #6
JCunningham

no you only have to buy credits once for your vin. but those credits are locked to 1 device. if for some reason you cant use the same device. then you have to buy more credits. if your going to do a email tune you have to buy the device with credits. the tuner can then send you the file. you only need credits to load the tune to the car the 1st time per device. not to write the tune.
Old 03-03-2019, 06:29 AM   #7
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
Been through this before and always just buy my own cable and credits now. If you keep the car; It will be cheaper in the end.
Old 03-03-2019, 08:19 AM   #8
squish72

Drives: 2016 2SS 8AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysan911 View Post
If i'm not mistaken. You typically would buy credits for yourself and then also buy a set of credits for your tuner so that he can tune the file on his side and then he sends you the file and the credits you have allow you to write it to your pcm.
What your saying is basically correct. You need credits to unlock your hptuner device to allow you to modify the tune file and to be able to flash it to your car. The person tuning your car will also need credits to be able to unlock that file and be able to modify it on their device, which is usually added into the price of tuning your car. If the tuner uses your hptuner device it will save the need of getting double credits saving money.
squish72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 09:14 AM   #9
danhr
BAMF SS

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS A8
Send a message via AIM to danhr
Here's a good kicker for you. Tuner uses his own cable/credits. Tuner goes out of business or moves out of state. Tuner locked your ECM/TCM.

You now up a certain creek without a paddle

Stock Longblock

800 SAE rwhp. 9.4 @ 145 mph.
danhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 08:03 PM   #10
BlueCamaro6

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS, Hyper Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by squish72 View Post
What your saying is basically correct. You need credits to unlock your hptuner device to allow you to modify the tune file and to be able to flash it to your car. The person tuning your car will also need credits to be able to unlock that file and be able to modify it on their device, which is usually added into the price of tuning your car. If the tuner uses your hptuner device it will save the need of getting double credits saving money.
Here is what I do. Person buys the device and credits for their device, pulls their tune and sends it to me. I modify it and sent it back to them (no credits needed). Person puts the tune in the vehicle since they have the credits on their device.

Dyno tune, okay just bring your device to load the modified tunes with otherwise you're buying credits again for my device.

2016 2SS, A8, NAV, NPP, MRC, Sunroof, Hyperblue (GM buyback)

1999 Trans Am Firehawk, M6, headers, no-cats, slp exhaust, hot cam, intake, 3:73 gears. Red/Blk
BlueCamaro6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 08:10 PM   #11
grampa_ss

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
That's exactly what I did with my remote tuner. I pulled the tune, sent it to him. He modified it, I loaded it. Car screams.
Old 03-03-2019, 08:12 PM   #12
BlueCamaro6

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS, Hyper Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by grampa_ss View Post
That's exactly what I did with my remote tuner. I pulled the tune, sent it to him. He modified it, I loaded it. Car screams.
Did they tune the trans also? I'm curious since your boosted.

2016 2SS, A8, NAV, NPP, MRC, Sunroof, Hyperblue (GM buyback)

1999 Trans Am Firehawk, M6, headers, no-cats, slp exhaust, hot cam, intake, 3:73 gears. Red/Blk
BlueCamaro6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 08:27 PM   #13
grampa_ss

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Yes he did.
Old 03-29-2019, 03:32 AM   #14
StormSS
Banned

Drives: 2018 2SS
Sorry if this is a dumb question but i'm new to all of this. Can the stock tune be put back on the TCM for servicing under warranty? If the answers yes can the dealer see that I have an unlocked TSM? I haven't done any mods and I mainly want to avoid the shudder by locking out the TC slip. I already have the Range for locking out 4 cylinder mode.
StormSS is offline   Reply With Quote