Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 01-11-2019, 05:18 PM   #15
snowolf_rs

Drives: 2017 Summit White Camaro RS 1LT
I went back by today and kept asking if they could tell me what exactly failed, but they kept saying they couldnt tell me without taking the engine out and charging me for it. The first engine was bone stock and i had it less than 2 months. This time around i had ZZP catted downpipe, ZZP intake tube, jacfab valve, and was tuned by danytech. Running 93 octane and dexos 5w30 oil
snowolf_rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 09:06 PM   #16
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
Ask for the original engine replacements invoice if they ask why say insurance purposes. It should list what failed not saying it's gonna be the same thing but will give you a good idea atleast.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 09:10 PM   #17
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Start The Machine View Post
I know right. Who gets the oil wrong? Thank you for the laughs. I like how you give him credit for the correct can Lol.
Well their cans are really nice i had one on my 5th gen thing worked flawlessly. For some reason they just think the LTG is the same as a Turbo V6 build. Worse is they have free R&D videos from Mishimoto and they can't be helped to admit they need to adjust things.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Old 01-11-2019, 09:26 PM   #18
snowolf_rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil-Bee-NH View Post
Ask for the original engine replacements invoice if they ask why say insurance purposes. It should list what failed not saying it's gonna be the same thing but will give you a good idea atleast.
I have the original invoice, thats how i know its the same thing. I showed it to the service manager, and thats when he told me it was the exact same thing and that my tune didnt cause it.
Old 01-11-2019, 11:30 PM   #19
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowolf_rs View Post
I have the original invoice, thats how i know its the same thing. I showed it to the service manager, and thats when he told me it was the exact same thing and that my tune didnt cause it.
So why did they decide not to warranty it this time? it's a pre-existing condition and it's been verified it has nothing to do with your tune. I do understand that by tuning you voided the warranty but clearly your dealership is one of those you touch anything it's all on you types.

Old 01-11-2019, 11:37 PM   #20
snowolf_rs

Quote:
So why did they decide not to warranty it this time? it's a pre-existing condition and it's been verified it has nothing to do with your tune. I do understand that by tuning you voided the warranty but clearly your dealership is one of those you touch anything it's all on you types.
They claim that they sent GM the logs from my ECM, and that GM said my warranty is automatically voided because i modified the stock files. Doesnt matter that the same thing happened when stock, theyre trying to say i caused it this time by putting more stress on the engine than stock, and that GM wouldnt let them cover it if they wanted to
Old 01-12-2019, 01:09 AM   #21
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowolf_rs View Post
They claim that they sent GM the logs from my ECM, and that GM said my warranty is automatically voided because i modified the stock files. Doesnt matter that the same thing happened when stock, theyre trying to say i caused it this time by putting more stress on the engine than stock, and that GM wouldnt let them cover it if they wanted to
Lawl not sure which to believe but if it's a 2nd engine repair i imagine GM requested the ECM logs this time around. Just them saying those simple bolt-ons and an ecm tune put to much stress on the engine is pathetic unless they're admitting there's a manufacturer qc issue lol. We already know the QC on the LTGs is piss poor tons of missing clips and bolts on 60% of them.

Old 01-18-2019, 05:14 PM   #22
snowolf_rs

Well, contacted GM and explained everything, and they also refused to cover the car. So looks like im gonna bite the bullet and go forged internals, then continue the build from there.
Old 01-18-2019, 09:21 PM   #23
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

That sucks man. Atleast with forged internals your safe for the long haul.

Old 01-18-2019, 09:55 PM   #24
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
Don't forget to have injectors flow tested.

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 06:43 PM   #25
6th_gen_gino

Drives: 2016 camaro 2.0t gray
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtor_ZL1 View Post
Don't forget to have injectors flow tested.
Agreed
6th_gen_gino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 01:59 AM   #26
PDXSSCE
Yee-aay-ee!

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS CV CE
Quote:
...We already know the QC on the LTGs is piss poor tons of missing clips and bolts on 60% of them.
When shopping for a pre-owned LTG, what can someone check to mitigate the possibility of experiencing catastrophic failure?
Old 01-20-2019, 02:47 AM   #27
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXSSCE View Post
When shopping for a pre-owned LTG, what can someone check to mitigate the possibility of experiencing catastrophic failure?
There are several things that should be asked what the dealership your using says should be your go somewhere else or stay with them decision. Here's a few things I've compiled to ask if I was to buy a used LTG.

1. Was it a rental? Yes I know most rentals were V6's but there's always a possibility.

2. Was it at any time modified or tuned? They can check the flash counter for this there are some ghost tunes but if they checked hard enough they could pick-up obvious changes.

3. What's the warranty? I'd demand factory warranty extension but that's just me because your inherting someone else's possible mistakes.

4. Check the timing cover for oil seap. Some of these timing cover gaskets are poorly QC'd

5. If it's an A8 demand the TSB be performed on the car before signing also if it's 10k plus miles i'd have them check for TC damage or have it in the paperwork to be covered if shudder returns. The new GM 2019 Fix is a Band-Aid fluid excuse again but there's reports they are flashing TCM calibrations.

6. Do your own inspection of suspension and undercar parts and underhood parts.

Old 01-20-2019, 03:58 PM   #28
snowolf_rs

Im for sure going to get the injectors looked at. I do have a question though, in going this route with forged internals and being able to make more power, around what could i expect to make before hitting another barrier like fueling issues, etc? Right now i would like to add a bigger throttle body and intercooler, and go either ZFR or Z54 turbo later in the year, but im wondering if i would have to change other things in the car to make that work fully