Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 07-07-2014, 09:22 AM   #1
Tstormers
Tstormers

Drives: Black 2SS/1LE
Transmission Noise, back-up camera questions

Good morning all,

So I've had my Camaro for 4 days now and I'm hearing a bunch of new noises and I want to get some information on if these are typical or things I should be going to the dealer about, or maybe since this is my first high horsepowered car that I just need to change the way I shift.

On that note, I have an almost shaking feeling and metal shaking noise coming from the transmission on low acceleration shifting from 1-2, 2-3 and sometimes 3-4, 5 and 6 are clean. On down shifting I can remember the sound only once from 2-3. I'm been driving stick for 15 years now (since I learned how to drive) and this is the first time this has ever happened. (first car 99 Honda civic, 07' supercharged cobalt, 13' Honda civic). I'm going to try and get my gf to record the noise today if possible to let you guys here it. the car only has 500km on it (around 300 mlies).

Ok next noise is the engine, it kind of sounds like under low acceleration that I'm driving a diesel almost (I guess its like a diesel drone almost), gf thought it was a bit weird also. But any harder acceleration and faster gears the car sounds great and drives like a dream.

One last question is the rear back up camera. Does everyone's back up camera not have lines to tell you if you are straight (guides). I feel like that would be a good feature as my gf's civic has them and they really help you park straight. Yes so far I've had trouble parking straight, and have had to pull forward a bunch of times to fix it. I am getting better though lol.

Please comment and any of the issues above and let me know what you think, advise and or want to poke fun at ;p.

Tstormers
Tstormers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 09:34 AM   #2
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
The OEM back up cameras do not have lines on them. Can't comment about the engine noise while cruising.
Old 07-07-2014, 09:42 AM   #3
Ragnar
Destroyed by flooding

Drives: Wife's car
The rattle noise in the clutch is normal, nothing to worry about! On the exhaust noise, do you have NPP? If so, the noise may be the baffles opening.
Ragnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 09:49 AM   #4
markgws6

Drives: 2019 Chevy Equinox Premier AWD
There are a ton of threads about the transmission/driveline noises you are hearing at low speeds. I had it on my car and I too thought it was very noisy and was annoying and embarrassing. However, if you take it to the dealer they are likely to tell you it is normal. Some have have added a separate clutch reservoir (stock shares the brake fluid with the clutch). Your engine noise under low RPMs/high gears I would say might be normal but could not say for sure. I would say avoid driving like this. Any RPM below about 1500 is too low and you should be downshifting to a lower gear for any extended driving. There might be some threads on this noise too. Welcome!!
Old 07-07-2014, 10:12 AM   #5
Mark T
American Gold Whisperer

Drives: 2014 White 1LE 2SS/RS/NPP/Rec/Nav
You may want to do the 5&20 fuse pull to reset the computer and fuel settings. It might be the dealer put in regular gas, or worse, 85 octane or something cheap.

I did the fuse pull on mine, and even though I thought it ran good, runs great now. Smoother engine and shifting plus more power.
Old 07-07-2014, 11:19 AM   #6
White_SS/RS

Drives: 14 1LE
If the trans noise sounds like a metallic back and forth clunking, that is the spring dampeners in the clutch. It happens when you load up the clutch with torque from the engine but the drive train hasn't matched the engine speed yet. It can be solved using a numerically lower gear, ie. first instead of second or you need to throttle up and slightly slip the clutch to smooth out the power transfer to the drivetrain. I'm pretty confident that this will resolve the problem seeing that you also have the dieseling sound, which comes from lugging the engine. These two issues kinda go hand in hand. Give it more throttle, the clutch is much more aggressive that your previous cars, and it just wants to go.
Old 07-07-2014, 12:24 PM   #7
Cool1LE

Drives: 2014 Blk 2SS/1LE
The lines are not on the camera due to some patent BS that Chevy didn't want to pay for.........its on a string somewhere in here
I use the lower part of the car shown in the camera to line things up, this with the warning pings works well after you get used to it
Cool1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 01:21 PM   #8
Tstormers
Tstormers

Quote:
Originally Posted by White_SS/RS View Post
If the trans noise sounds like a metallic back and forth clunking, that is the spring dampeners in the clutch. It happens when you load up the clutch with torque from the engine but the drive train hasn't matched the engine speed yet. It can be solved using a numerically lower gear, ie. first instead of second or you need to throttle up and slightly slip the clutch to smooth out the power transfer to the drivetrain. I'm pretty confident that this will resolve the problem seeing that you also have the dieseling sound, which comes from lugging the engine. These two issues kinda go hand in hand. Give it more throttle, the clutch is much more aggressive that your previous cars, and it just wants to go.
This is exactly what it sounds like!!!
Though I hear it down shifting also...

So i.e. not enough RPM to facilitate changing gears?

Thank you all very much for your help. I might do the fuse pull as well to make sure all is how it should be.
Old 07-07-2014, 01:30 PM   #9
Tstormers
Tstormers

This is a sound bite of my drive to work. Went through a bit of gravel on the road, but you can definitely hear the sound around the 1:20 mark.

(I didn't know how to post a sound file so I zipped it.)
Attached Files
File Type: zip Voice 003.zip (1.30 MB, 81 views)
Old 07-07-2014, 01:49 PM   #10
LT1Zob

Drives: 23 LT1 / 19 Z06 / after 6 5th gens
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T View Post
You may want to do the 5&20 fuse pull to reset the computer and fuel settings. It might be the dealer put in regular gas, or worse, 85 octane or something cheap.

I did the fuse pull on mine, and even though I thought it ran good, runs great now. Smoother engine and shifting plus more power.

Could you please explain the steps of the 5&20 pull? Im interested in doing this. Also, may be a dumb question, but i added a CAI. Will the fuse pull make a difference with CAI addition?
LT1Zob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 02:24 PM   #11
White_SS/RS

Drives: 14 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tstormers View Post
This is exactly what it sounds like!!!
Though I hear it down shifting also...

So i.e. not enough RPM to facilitate changing gears?

Thank you all very much for your help. I might do the fuse pull as well to make sure all is how it should be.
Yeah downshifting too. It happens to me sometimes when I come into a parking lot in 2 or 3rd and gradually slow down. When I push the clutch in to stop or downshift I can hear it spring back.

A little is ok because it's a designed protective measure but a lot of it, to the point it makes the car lurch, will lead to drive train issues down the road.
Old 07-07-2014, 04:11 PM   #12
Mark T
American Gold Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gzobian View Post
Could you please explain the steps of the 5&20 pull? Im interested in doing this. Also, may be a dumb question, but i added a CAI. Will the fuse pull make a difference with CAI addition?
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38964
Old 07-07-2014, 07:00 PM   #13
LT1Zob

Drives: 23 LT1 / 19 Z06 / after 6 5th gens
Thank you Mark, pulled them about an hour ago. I read thru and 1 thing that varied is how long people waited to put the fuses back. Some said 30-60 mins, others hours and others overnight. How long did you wait?
LT1Zob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 08:04 PM   #14
Mark T
American Gold Whisperer

I think I pulled them for about 3 hours. Mainly because I took the wife out to dinner.

The point of the wait is to make sure the volatile memory power has time to discharge. I dont know how long the minimum it takes, overnight might be safe overkill. But 3 hours did it for me. The difference was obvious.