Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Phastek Performance

Old 07-31-2015, 08:35 PM   #15
130R

Drives: SS
Awesome! Thanks for sharing.

As for the sound, the belching (if you will) sounds a lot like off-throttle engine mapping for an EBD (Exhaust Blown Diffuser). When it's on-throttle, I think it sounds rather good...
130R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 12:17 AM   #16
Nor Cal ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8cd View Post
This thing is going to hurt some Italian egos.
Not from an engine sound perspective. Sounds terrible compared to an Italian V6.
Nor Cal ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 03:49 PM   #17
130R

Looking at pictures of the race car, the exhaust exits on the side of the car just ahead of the rear tires, so they're not utilizing an EBD.

I can only assume they're using the same principle to keep the turbos spooled-up when the driver is off throttle. That kind of off-throttle mapping has a very unique sound...
Old 08-02-2015, 05:15 PM   #18
1Coopgt

Drives: All Black 2012 1LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 130R View Post
Awesome! Thanks for sharing.

As for the sound, the belching (if you will) sounds a lot like off-throttle engine mapping for an EBD (Exhaust Blown Diffuser). When it's on-throttle, I think it sounds rather good...
The exhaust is coming out the sides of the car just in front of the rear tires under the number 66. Don't think they have exhaust blown difusser . The popping is just unburned fuel hitting the hot exhaust . They probably have the computer mapped to blip the throttle automatically on downshifts . Also they probably have a lot of overlap with the cams .
Old 08-02-2015, 08:10 PM   #19
1Coopgt

Drives: All Black 2012 1LS
I'll add this one .

Old 08-02-2015, 11:20 PM   #20
shine2013

Drives: 2008 Mustang GT
TT but I still love it!
Old 08-08-2015, 01:05 PM   #21
130R

As I suspected, the odd sound in the corners is an anti-lag system, similar to what the F1 guys were doing with EBD's, but using an off-throttle map to keep the turbo's spooled up instead:

"In effect, Hameedi said, the GT delivers the same throttle response one might expect from a turboed race car with special anti-lag hardware. In grossly simplified terms, these systems dump fuel directly into the turbo to keep them on boost.

“Obviously, you can’t do that on a production car—the [catalytic converters] would get a little upset.” Hameedi said. “But we’re accomplishing that same end goal purely with software operating in the background to keep the turbo spooled. These are complex algorithms that are completely seamless to the driver. All they know is that when they step on the throttle, the turbo and torque is there.”

Like I said, it's a very unique sound you don't normally hear on most race cars, but unmistakable, when you do.

If you're interested in how this works, click the 'these systems' link under "A software response to turbo lag"' and scroll down to "How ALS Works".

There's some pretty interesting tidbits in the rest of the article about the car: http://www.pcworld.com/article/29172...-know-why.html
Old 08-08-2015, 01:15 PM   #22
Mikebrinda

Drives: Ferrari F430 Spider F1 Azzurro Arge
Quote:
Originally Posted by 130R View Post
As I suspected, the odd sound in the corners is an anti-lag system, similar to what the F1 guys were doing with EBD's, but using an off-throttle map to keep the turbo's spooled up instead:

"In effect, Hameedi said, the GT delivers the same throttle response one might expect from a turboed race car with special anti-lag hardware. In grossly simplified terms, these systems dump fuel directly into the turbo to keep them on boost.

“Obviously, you can’t do that on a production car—the [catalytic converters] would get a little upset.” Hameedi said. “But we’re accomplishing that same end goal purely with software operating in the background to keep the turbo spooled. These are complex algorithms that are completely seamless to the driver. All they know is that when they step on the throttle, the turbo and torque is there.”

Like I said, it's a very unique sound you don't normally hear on most race cars, but unmistakable, when you do.

If you're interested in how this works, click the 'these systems' link under "A software response to turbo lag"' and scroll down to "How ALS Works".

There's some pretty interesting tidbits in the rest of the article about the car: http://www.pcworld.com/article/29172...-know-why.html
Excellent find.
Mikebrinda is offline   Reply With Quote