Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 07-02-2014, 06:43 AM   #1
Swacer

Drives: 2018 GT350
Exclamation Adhesion for OEM GFX

Hello,

I have a 2012 SS with the gfx package. Just recently I noticed that my ground effects on the rear isn't tight/flush on the one side. When I say this, I mean that on my passenger side, right behind my rear tire, the ground effects isn't attached firmly to the car, there is about 1/2" gap that I can push back flush with the body and then it comes back off toward me. The driver side is fully connected and flush.

My first thought was, since we've had such humid weather of late, the tape that is used to hold that together has let go, and I need to replace it.

I have 3 questions in regards to that:

1. Am I right to assume that the tape has let go? I was looking at the installation instructions, and I can't seem to find WHERE exactly the tape is applied.

2. How can I get to the inside liner there? I thought about taking the rear tire off, and then pulling the inside of the fender well lining down, but I'm not sure that is going to get me where I need.

3. What double sided tape does GM use for this installation? If I can't get the GM kind, what readily available double sided tape would be able to do the job?

Thanks!
Old 07-02-2014, 06:44 AM   #2
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
might have better luck posting this in the cosmetic/lighting mods subforum
Old 07-02-2014, 07:30 AM   #3
Swacer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
might have better luck posting this in the cosmetic/lighting mods subforum
Alright, Mods, can you move this over please?
Old 07-02-2014, 04:28 PM   #4
mycamaro2011

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT Victory Red
can you take a pic of it.
i used the 3m tape primer on the back of mine.
but you want a good 3m double sided tape. but if you need to do a section your prob going to need to remove the whole gm efx. ps the tape on it is a pain in the butt to remove.
mycamaro2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 06:30 AM   #5
Swacer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycamaro2011 View Post
can you take a pic of it.
i used the 3m tape primer on the back of mine.
but you want a good 3m double sided tape. but if you need to do a section your prob going to need to remove the whole gm efx. ps the tape on it is a pain in the butt to remove.
I don't have a picture, but its the section behind the rear tire, about 8" of tape kicked the bucket. I was able to pull the fender back a little and heated and scraped off about 4 inches of the previous tape as best as I could. I used a razor blade also to scrape it down as far as I could. I then washed both sides, wiped it with alcohol, and then applied a new 4 inch piece of stage 2 3M tape. I held it for about 3-4 minutes, let go, and the fender is holding this morning. Now, I will need to test it for water, and i question the long term reliability, but we shall see.

I think double sided tape was a very cheap idea on GM's part...it should be glued.