Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-30-2019, 10:04 AM   #1
Camaro 79

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
Exhaust Help

I've been searching since I bought the Car (September 2018), and I will be honest, I'm at a loss as to what to do with the Exhaust. For reference, I've had a 2010 Mustang GT, 2015 Camaro SS, and 2016 Mustang GT and I never had any issue finding a solid exhaust for them. I currently have a SS m6 with NPP and I want to keep the NPP functionality.

So every time I think I know what I want to do, something comes up that steers me away from it. Here are my 3 options -

1) Flowmaster American Thunder axleback - I'm hesitant to do this because of the Valve rattle that tends to come with exhaust, and the lack of customer service. I do like the sound and I really like how the different modes really change the volume.

2) Borla S-Type axleback - I don't really like the sound, it's very expensive, and it seems like the NPP loses its effectiveness.

3) Retaining the NPP muffler, but replacing the midpipe and removing the secondary cats. I am most leaning towards this option, but this is the furthest from my understanding. I was ready to pull the trigger on the Borla 60606, but there are so few sound clips with this mated to the NPP muffler. I also checked out the Corsa Double X pipe, but have heard nothing with this set up. I reached out to an exhaust shop, and they mentioned that they can do a custom (recreate the Borla 60606) midpipe, but I know even less about that option.

Here's what I'm looking for - louder (and if possible deeper) than the current NPP, especially when I'm above 3k rpm. It's my daily, so I don't want any drone. Ideally, I rather go with the more affordable option, but the last thing I want to do is cheap out and not be happy with the end result.

Let me know what you guys think, thank you for the help (and patience).

EDIT - Does anyone have any sound clips of a 60606 bolted up to the stock NPP muffler?

Past -
2016 Ford Mustang GT Performance Pack
2015 Camaro SS
2010 Ford Mustang GT

Last edited by Camaro 79; 05-30-2019 at 02:51 PM.
Camaro 79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 10:10 AM   #2
VinnAY
Account Suspended

Drives: 18 1SS/1LE
I would recommend the AWE Touring axle-back but select a good retailer that stands by the product with a good return/customer service policy, as AWE itself does not and I don't recommend them as I had install and fitment problems with mine. Sounds amazing though, no drone, and huge 4.5" tips look amazing.
The 2d cat delete won't make much difference IMHO. Flowmaster I think I may be misremembering has a drone problem, and the Borla, again IMHO, is way overpriced.
Axle back worked out well for me I think we had similiar desires to what you say you want, too.
VinnAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 10:32 AM   #3
Camaro 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnAY View Post
I would recommend the AWE Touring axle-back but select a good retailer that stands by the product with a good return/customer service policy, as AWE itself does not and I don't recommend them as I had install and fitment problems with mine. Sounds amazing though, no drone, and huge 4.5" tips look amazing.
The 2d cat delete won't make much difference IMHO. Flowmaster I think I may be misremembering has a drone problem, and the Borla, again IMHO, is way overpriced.
Axle back worked out well for me I think we had similiar desires to what you say you want, too.

How does this compare to the stock NPP exhaust? I do like the way it sounds, but I'm not a fan of how it gets rid of the NPP functionality.

Past -
2015 Camaro SS
2010 Ford Mustang GT
Old 05-30-2019, 10:38 AM   #4
artey34

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE - Hyper Blue
I plan to go with AWE touring non resonated cat back. Just debating between 2nd cat delete or not. No drone, sounds great, easy install
artey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 11:42 AM   #5
enzia35

Drives: '16 Garnet Red 1SS
I just splurged on the Borla ATAK. Honestly the best game in town if NPP functionality is important.
enzia35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 11:45 AM   #6
Camaro 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by enzia35 View Post
I just splurged on the Borla ATAK. Honestly the best game in town if NPP functionality is important.
Honestly, apart of me is considering just biting the bullet and going for it. But it's a bit raspy, and I'm trying to move away from that.

The NPP sounds too similar to the AWE from the sound clips that I've heard

Past -
2015 Camaro SS
2010 Ford Mustang GT
Old 05-30-2019, 11:51 AM   #7
mikem2104

Drives: 18 2SS 1LE, 20 Canyon Denali
i just finished the awe touring cat back with 2nd cat delete, been driving on it for about 3 weeks now. its very different from the npp, and much louder

Current Garage:
18' 2SS 1LE, Hyper Blue
23' GMC Canyon Denali
Previously:
20' GMC Canyon Denali
16' 2SS 6MT, Hyper Blue, Kalahari, 20" PVW Chrome Split wheels, NPP, MRC (Total Loss)
14' Ford Edge Sport
06' Saab 9-7x,13' Nissan 370z Sport, 12' VW Jetta GLI, 02' Olds Bravada
mikem2104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 12:01 PM   #8
VinnAY
Account Suspended

Drives: 18 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro 79 View Post
How does this compare to the stock NPP exhaust? I do like the way it sounds, but I'm not a fan of how it gets rid of the NPP functionality.
Its def louder than stock, but not obnoxious, there are times I'd like it to be quieter, of course the NPP function is gone. Retaining NPP is where things get much more expensive with the aftermarket systems.
VinnAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 12:18 PM   #9
Camaro 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikem2104 View Post
i just finished the awe touring cat back with 2nd cat delete, been driving on it for about 3 weeks now. its very different from the npp, and much louder
I am thinking of going with just the axle back, but that is good to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnAY View Post
Its def louder than stock, but not obnoxious, there are times I'd like it to be quieter, of course the NPP function is gone. Retaining NPP is where things get much more expensive with the aftermarket systems.
I think that's where I'm running into the issue. The sounds I do like all get rid of the NPP functionality, and the ones I don't retain it. That's why I'm starting to lean towards keeping it and just going with a mid pipe situation

Past -
2015 Camaro SS
2010 Ford Mustang GT
Old 05-30-2019, 12:23 PM   #10
blazzin1

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS R6P
Take a look at Stainless Works! I have their full system in my car and love it! It retains NPP functionality too!
blazzin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 01:17 PM   #11
Camaro 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazzin1 View Post
Take a look at Stainless Works! I have their full system in my car and love it! It retains NPP functionality too!
Okay, now this is definitely what I was looking for. It's much deeper, a good bit louder and gets rid of some of the rasp. I had overlooked it because I didn't know it had NPP functionality. Thanks!

Is there any drone on this? I'm probably going to go with just the axle back.

Past -
2015 Camaro SS
2010 Ford Mustang GT
Old 05-30-2019, 01:25 PM   #12
blazzin1

Quote:
Okay, now this is definitely what I was looking for. It's much deeper, a good bit louder and gets rid of some of the rasp. I had overlooked it because I didn't know it had NPP functionality. Thanks!

Is there any drone on this? I'm probably going to go with just the axle back.
No drone on mine!!! Get in touch with “Juiced Motorsports”, they’re here on the forum. They’ll give you about the best price you’re going to get on any exhaust system!

“Juiced1” is his forum name!

TBH, if budget is a concern, I still don’t see anything wrong with the FlowMaster system. I almost went with that myself, but because I was installing headers too, I decided to go full Stainless Works. Very happy with my decision, but for a stand-alone system, the FM is good stuff too!
Old 05-30-2019, 01:34 PM   #13
Camaro 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazzin1 View Post
No drone on mine!!! Get in touch with “Juiced Motorsports”, they’re here on the forum. They’ll give you about the best price you’re going to get on any exhaust system!

“Juiced1” is his forum name!

My man! I appreciate it. I definitely will. Just a couple of quick questions.

1) Is there a big difference when you change the mode on the exhaust? For example, if I need to quiet it down will I actually notice it?

2) how does it compare to the NPP in terms of volume? I'm listening to all the sound clips, but it's hard to really gauge. If the NPP is a 5 out of 10, is the SW a 7/10?

Past -
2015 Camaro SS
2010 Ford Mustang GT
Old 05-30-2019, 01:41 PM   #14
blazzin1

Quote:
My man! I appreciate it. I definitely will. Just a couple of quick questions.

1) Is there a big difference when you change the mode on the exhaust? For example, if I need to quiet it down will I actually notice it?

2) how does it compare to the NPP in terms of volume? I'm listening to all the sound clips, but it's hard to really gauge. If the NPP is a 5 out of 10, is the SW a 7/10?
1) I can certainly tell a difference between the two modes, but in my opinion it isn’t a drastic difference. Like inside your garage, yes, quite noticeable. But out on the street, not much.

2) I think your numbers are about right. It’s a little louder/deeper than NPP, but not “obnoxious”!