Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Phastek Performance

Old 08-19-2017, 11:58 AM   #15
RS-Chevy-SS

Drives: Hyper Blue 1SS NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by soloknight6 View Post
Damn 4k miles with a lifter that sounds that bad? Even with the issue, gotta say these are tough engines. They'll take care of you OP. That's what the warranty is for! If they replace your engine, make sure they put OIL IN IT.
The problem is the sound isn't always there. Its much more prevalent when cold or sitting an hour than when you're just getting off the freeway. It's odd but something is not right that's for sure.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
RS-Chevy-SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 12:08 PM   #16
soloknight6
SoCal HT5! SD

Drives: 2016 red hot 2ss M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS-Chevy-SS View Post
The problem is the sound isn't always there. Its much more prevalent when cold or sitting an hour than when you're just getting off the freeway. It's odd but something is not right that's for sure.

Sometimes the DI injector sound is more obvious when the car is cold. Like I said, injector noise is normal, but it's a consistent ticking sound, like a sewing machine. But the knock in the video is not normal, it is erratic, not consistent. If you hear that sound, hot or cold, RECORD IT, SHUT IT DOWN, and have it TOWED to the dealership. If anyone's car sounds like the OP, GO TO THE DEALERSHIP. IT NEEDS REPAIR BEFORE FULL ENGINE FAILURE OCCURS!!!

I guess it's possible for the lifter to only be knocking when the engine is cold or isn't lubricated.
Old 08-19-2017, 12:11 PM   #17
RS-Chevy-SS

Quote:
Sometimes the DI injector sound is more obvious when the car is cold. Like I said, injector noise is normal, but it's a consistent ticking sound, like a sewing machine. But the knock in the video is not normal, it is erratic, not consistent. If you hear that sound, hot or cold, RECORD IT, SHUT IT DOWN, and have it TOWED to the dealership. If anyone's car sounds like the OP, GO TO THE DEALERSHIP. IT NEEDS REPAIR BEFORE FULL ENGINE FAILURE OCCURS!!!
Sad part is I brought it to them for repair months ago and they failed to identify it. It took me doing my own research and finding the TSB.

I am very familiar with the DI tick. I had an 08 cobalt SS, one of the first with DI and it was loud but a consistent tick tick tick. This is not normal at all.

What are the chances I get a new LT1 out of this? Damn car has 13k miles and has an engine failure, although not a catastrophic failure, it's still an engine failure. My '14 Malibu has 56k on it with the LTG turbo engine and no issues.

Old 08-19-2017, 12:27 PM   #18
soloknight6
SoCal HT5! SD

Drives: 2016 red hot 2ss M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS-Chevy-SS View Post
Sad part is I brought it to them for repair months ago and they failed to identify it. It took me doing my own research and finding the TSB.

I am very familiar with the DI tick. I had an 08 cobalt SS, one of the first with DI and it was loud but a consistent tick tick tick. This is not normal at all.

What are the chances I get a new LT1 out of this? Damn car has 13k miles and has an engine failure, although not a catastrophic failure, it's still an engine failure. My '14 Malibu has 56k on it with the LTG turbo engine and no issues.

If they find enough internal damage, they may replace it. Some people on this board with the same engine malfunction have gotten new engines out of the deal. Engines installed and run without oil, but still a new engine. Sort of. Maybe 50k miles of wear.
Old 08-19-2017, 12:30 PM   #19
RS-Chevy-SS

Quote:
If they find enough internal damage, they may replace it. Some people on this board with the same engine malfunction have gotten new engines out of the deal. Engines without oil, but still a new engine. ��
Not sure how to feel about this, on one end I hope the motor is ok, on the other I hope they find damage and replace the engine. Tough spot.

Old 08-19-2017, 01:01 PM   #20
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
It seems it's not just the camaro that's affected, and not just the 6.2l engines. It would appear that many models in the GM lineup with AFM are affected according to the tsb.
Yes, that was the case with the Gen 5 L99. The problem went back to various V8 engines including trucks, Buicks, Cadillacs, etc. By the time GM started putting the inferior lifters in Camaro L99s, the problem was already well known, and so was the solution. Yet they kept right on using the old design lifters, perhaps until the stock was entirely depleted.

So how is it that now, more than 15 years later, it's still problem?
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 01:05 PM   #21
LibertyHill

Drives: 16 2SS 6MT NPP MRC / 15 K1300S
I wonder if this failure is more prevalent in autos where the system is actually used?

Rohana RFX-5 10/11, M/T 275/305, Eibachs, Hellwigs, Hurst SS, DMS LT4 SC 596HP/589TQ, DMS Low-side, Kooks 2LTs, MBRP Race, Rotofab, MMS CC
LibertyHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 01:15 PM   #22
PinHead
Banned

Drives: Duramax
Send an a well used oil sample into Blackstone ASAP. Debris from a failed AFM lifter, (and/or collateral engine damage) will show up.

https://www.blackstone-labs.com/
PinHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 01:18 PM   #23
PinHead
Banned

Drives: Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyHill View Post
I wonder if this failure is more prevalent in autos where the system is actually used?
No,

GM has had a problem with their AFM/DoD on several GM engines for several years now.

I'd delete AFM/DoD in a HP Engine.

The issue is too many small parts failures at RPM.

We're already paying a Gas-Hog tax, they should allow an AFM Delete in Factory built SS and ZL1s.
PinHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 01:27 PM   #24
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
I'm not going to hit the panic button (not yet), but mine sounds the same exact way. For the noise to be as evident as the one shown here, I sometimes have to very lightly rev the engine just after start up (been noticing it for 2 days) It does go away after a few minutes My car has 3700 miles...

I'm going for ride now and not worrying about it... been thinking about trading up to a Zl1 vert anyway.

Hopefully the OP comes back from the dealer with good news. Let us know...
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 01:36 PM   #25
RS-Chevy-SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinHead View Post
Send an a well used oil sample into Blackstone ASAP. Debris from a failed AFM lifter, (and/or collateral engine damage) will show up.

https://www.blackstone-labs.com/
Car is at the dealer now. Waiting to hear back.
Quote:
No,

GM has had a problem with their AFM/DoD on several GM engines for several years now.

We're already paying a Gas-Hog tax, they should allow an AFM Delete in Factory built SS and ZL1s.
Agreed. Especially since I don't have any AFM on my M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chutzpah View Post
I'm not going to hit the panic button (not yet), but mine sounds the same exact way. For the noise to be as evident as the one shown here, I sometimes have to very lightly rev the engine just after start up (been noticing it for 2 days) It does go away after a few minutes My car has 3700 miles...

I'm going for ride now and not worrying about it... been thinking about trading up to a Zl1 vert anyway.

Hopefully the OP comes back from the dealer with good news. Let us know...
Is it as loud as mine? Definitely not normal.
Old 08-19-2017, 01:49 PM   #26
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
As loud or louder... sounds fine now.(warmed up) One thing to note though is my car sputters like it's missing a cylinder, for 1-2 minutes while cold. If I wait for it to warm up, all is good withe world.
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 01:50 PM   #27
RS-Chevy-SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chutzpah View Post
As loud or louder... sounds fine now.(warmed up) One thing to note though is my car sputters like it's missing a cylinder, for 1-2 minutes while cold. If I wait for it to warm up, all is good withe world.
I've had mine do that as well.
Old 08-19-2017, 05:11 PM   #28
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
No,

Deleting the AFM in software will do nothing to extend the life of crappy lifters.The problem is that they don't hold pressure and collapse when the engine is off. A full delete requires new lifters and other parts in the heads. There were kits available for the L99, not sure what Gen 6 people can do about it. I'm watching this thread because I want to know what I'm in for if and when I trade my Gen 5 for Gen 6...maybe not, huh?
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote