#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 06-30-2022, 05:55 PM   #1
Akura

Drives: ´18 ZL1 A10 Red Hot 😍
Question Red Line FS 5W40

Hi,

Did not find, so did not read, opinions about this oil in our cars.

What do you think? I know is not a Dexos2 oil (but is one of the best rated in other car brands due to the ester base used), and this brand/oil is very difficult to find it in Spain (must buy it in other countries).

Just want to know if effort is worth it, thank you!
Attached Images

Akura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 06:09 PM   #2
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
I would go with 5W30 instead of 5w40 if you can find it or 0w40!
Old 06-30-2022, 07:34 PM   #3
SFV1LE

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue ZL1 1LE
What about Motul 5w40 X-clean? It's Dexos 2 and Motul, a great brand. Thought Motul was available in Europe.

https://www.amazon.com/Motul-X-Clean...6635603&sr=8-9
SFV1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 08:07 AM   #4
Akura

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT4Greg View Post
I would go with 5W30 instead of 5w40 if you can find it or 0w40!
Using before Mobil 1 0w40 but RedLine seems much better, and no need of 0w because temperatures here are not so extreme.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFV1LE View Post
What about Motul 5w40 X-clean? It's Dexos 2 and Motul, a great brand. Thought Motul was available in Europe.

https://www.amazon.com/Motul-X-Clean...6635603&sr=8-9
Motul was my second option, but in every comparison I read the ester base from RL is much better and complete than Motul, that's why I want to try it.

Old 07-02-2022, 12:07 AM   #5
Raisin Man

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro
I’ve been using Red Line for years in my cars - including a newer 2022 ZL1. Pleased with the results.
Raisin Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 04:57 PM   #6
Akura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raisin Man View Post
I’ve been using Red Line for years in my cars - including a newer 2022 ZL1. Pleased with the results.
Thank you sir!

Old 07-03-2022, 01:07 PM   #7
XXX ZL1

Drives: 2023 ZL1 M6
Used Redline in our race cars for 20 years. Great oil and handles the heat extremely well.
High PSI Billet Valve Covers, Mighty Mouse Wild CC

Signature Forged 20x10.5/20x11.5, 295/30-315/30,
BMR springs, BMR Cradle lockout, AAD Billet
Control/Trailing arms

2023 Vivid Orange ZL1 M6 - sold
2019 Riverside Blue ZL1 A10 - sold
XXX ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 04:00 AM   #8
Akura

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXX ZL1 View Post
Used Redline in our race cars for 20 years. Great oil and handles the heat extremely well.
Great info! Thank you sir!

Old 07-04-2022, 08:40 AM   #9
cariboocreek

Drives: 2023 Corvette C8
What do you believe an oil different from oem recommended will do for you?
2019 Camaro SS Convertible
2019 Corvette Grand Sport Convertible
2013 Corvette Grand Sport
2013 Challenger SRT 392
1995 Camaro Z28
cariboocreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 12:07 PM   #10
SFV1LE

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue ZL1 1LE
"I read the ester base from RL is much better and complete than Motul, that's why I want to try it."

It's oil, you will never see any results or improvements. As long as you aren't using something completely wrong like 0w20 non-synth and running it hard every weekend on track in 90+ weather, you wont "see" anything.

With all due respect... you're planning to use a non-Dexos, non-warranty oil vs something like Motul or Mobil 1 Dexos 2 because of a comparo someone was paid to write, by an oil company, about non-existent evidence of supposed marginal differences in wear or mileage or something like that. It's BS IMHO.

If you don't have a warranty anymore, ignore this part... the only difference you may see is the $20-30k+ cost to replace your motor when it fails due to nothing related to the perfectly good Redline oil you used (yes Redline IS good oil, but not "better" than Motul), when GM says sorry your warranty was voided due to using this non-Dexos oil. If you already don't have a warranty, go for it the Redline will be fine.
SFV1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 03:47 PM   #11
Camaro1973

Drives: 2019 ZL1
Quote:
"I read the ester base from RL is much better and complete than Motul, that's why I want to try it."

It's oil, you will never see any results or improvements. As long as you aren't using something completely wrong like 0w20 non-synth and running it hard every weekend on track in 90+ weather, you wont "see" anything.

With all due respect... you're planning to use a non-Dexos, non-warranty oil vs something like Motul or Mobil 1 Dexos 2 because of a comparo someone was paid to write, by an oil company, about non-existent evidence of supposed marginal differences in wear or mileage or something like that. It's BS IMHO.

If you don't have a warranty anymore, ignore this part... the only difference you may see is the $20-30k+ cost to replace your motor when it fails due to nothing related to the perfectly good Redline oil you used (yes Redline IS good oil, but not "better" than Motul), when GM says sorry your warranty was voided due to using this non-Dexos oil. If you already don't have a warranty, go for it the Redline will be fine.
The biggest issue is they have to push low ash oils with more detergents and less anti wear additives for emissions. Oil recommended by GM doesn’t make it better oil. On stock cars it’s ok, but it’s lacking in zddp and other anti wear additives.

A good mid or high saps oil is honestly better.

LME 377 LT4 Short Block | Magnuson 2650 80mm upper w/13% lower (9.06) | DSX Lid & Valve Covers | CSP Custom Cam w/32% fuel lobe | CID Heads | NW 103mm TB | Roto Fab Big Gulp | CSP 2" Headers w/Green GESI Gen 2 Cats | Borla 3" Full Cat Back w/ S-Type| Mighty Mouse Wild Catch Can| Custom Holley Low side Fuel system| TooHigh PSI Port Injection w/Holley Controller | Forced Inductions Interchiller w/2 gallon fender tank | TK Performance built 10L90
Camaro1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 05:49 PM   #12
Akura

Quote:
Originally Posted by cariboocreek View Post
What do you believe an oil different from oem recommended will do for you?
Why do you believe sticked "bio healthy" fruits are better to you than normal walmart fruits?

Quote:

Don't have warranty (I am in EU sir...) and no stock engine, so I want the better for my engine, not a brand who paid for dexos2 logo and engineered the oil with EPA restrictions in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro1973 View Post
The biggest issue is they have to push low ash oils with more detergents and less anti wear additives for emissions. Oil recommended by GM doesn’t make it better oil. On stock cars it’s ok, but it’s lacking in zddp and other anti wear additives.

A good mid or high saps oil is honestly better.
This... and with a catless car your post become much more true, thank you.

Old 07-05-2022, 03:14 AM   #13
Mac7504

Drives: 2003 Monte Carlo SS SLP, 2022 ZL1
It seems to me you had your answer all along so why even post? And I mean this in the nicest way possible...
Mac7504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 06:29 AM   #14
Akura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac7504 View Post
It seems to me you had your answer all along so why even post? And I mean this in the nicest way possible...
Did you already decided in your dilemma?

Banks vs Aeroforce gauges