Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-28-2022, 01:08 PM   #85
SATINSTEEL1LE
Account Suspended

Drives: 21 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1LE View Post
Maybe you could buy a base 1SS and have vengeance build their 600 HP package all for $50K, but a new 2SS 1LE MSRPs for more than $50K, and I think Vengeance package is probably close to $10K.

Can you share any links or anything?
Not to be a dick but $10k is like nothing for Vengeance racing packages. A stage three kit through them is going to be more like $25k.
SATINSTEEL1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 01:14 PM   #86
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATINSTEEL1LE View Post
Not to be a dick but $10k is like nothing for Vengeance racing packages. A stage three kit through them is going to be more like $25k.
My stage 3 mods for my ZL1 were $15k out the door after taxes but that was in Dec of 2020, I'm sure pricing has gone up some.
Z OH 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 03:20 PM   #87
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATINSTEEL1LE View Post
Didn't take it any sort of way all man, no worries. You're right though, prices are up and last car I modded was a 5th Gen. I am not 100% sure what their 600 package costs, but a cam package is at least $11k on average from what I have seen online and that seems to be the low end avg too.

No way anyone would sell a new 2SS with ANY package for $50K was my only point, my numbers are still probably low balling it too.
Old 06-28-2022, 03:56 PM   #88
pauly1119

Drives: 2018 ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z OH 6 View Post
My stage 3 mods for my ZL1 were $15k out the door after taxes but that was in Dec of 2020, I'm sure pricing has gone up some.
I can’t wait until my warranty is up and I can start my mods. I won’t do anything with my bumper to bumper remaining. I have another 2.5 years to go. God knows what it will cost by then.
pauly1119 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 04:14 PM   #89
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauly1119 View Post
I can’t wait until my warranty is up and I can start my mods. I won’t do anything with my bumper to bumper remaining. I have another 2.5 years to go. God knows what it will cost by then.
I always looked at it the other way around. If I am going to blow my powertrain warranty, at least everything else will be covered while I have my bumper to bumper in place.

That was many moons ago though.....an LS3 and not an LT4. I think my rationale will still be the same when I get my ZL1 next year though, I am itching to mod and I dont even own the car yet.
Old 06-28-2022, 06:27 PM   #90
Z OH 6

Quote:
I've modified the last 4 or 5 vehicles I've had within the warranty period. I look at this way, if you're buying a reliable platform to begin with, which the ZL1 is other than the oil pump situation in 2017-2018, then it's safe to say after a few thousand miles, if something isn't broken, then it's going to perform normally for the life of the vehicle. Obviously when modifying you take full responsibility when something breaks, but if you know for a fact that you want to mod the car, I just can't see waiting until its out of the warranty period to fully enjoy the vehicle. I haven't had a single issue with the vehicles I've modded, just use a reputable shop and you'll be fine.
Old 06-28-2022, 07:43 PM   #91
pauly1119

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1LE View Post
I always looked at it the other way around. If I am going to blow my powertrain warranty, at least everything else will be covered while I have my bumper to bumper in place.

That was many moons ago though.....an LS3 and not an LT4. I think my rationale will still be the same when I get my ZL1 next year though, I am itching to mod and I dont even own the car yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z OH 6 View Post
I've modified the last 4 or 5 vehicles I've had within the warranty period. I look at this way, if you're buying a reliable platform to begin with, which the ZL1 is other than the oil pump situation in 2017-2018, then it's safe to say after a few thousand miles, if something isn't broken, then it's going to perform normally for the life of the vehicle. Obviously when modifying you take full responsibility when something breaks, but if you know for a fact that you want to mod the car, I just can't see waiting until its out of the warranty period to fully enjoy the vehicle. I haven't had a single issue with the vehicles I've modded, just use a reputable shop and you'll be fine.
Makes a lot of sense actually. Maybe I’ll dive in sooner then expected.
Old 06-29-2022, 09:11 AM   #92
ZX-10R

Drives: 2019 ZL1 Riverside
Oil pump is still somewhat an unknown. As far as I know the weak/thin oil pump ring that fails hasn't changed on the '19+ - does anyone have pictures of both?

Mods are always a risk but running 15 psi on this engine isn't exactly high risk if you have the fuel and keep intake temps in check
ZX-10R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 11:43 AM   #93
pauly1119

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX-10R View Post
Oil pump is still somewhat an unknown. As far as I know the weak/thin oil pump ring that fails hasn't changed on the '19+ - does anyone have pictures of both?

Mods are always a risk but running 15 psi on this engine isn't exactly high risk if you have the fuel and keep intake temps in check
I have a late production 18 built 6/25/18 but I think anyone that does mods that doesn’t include a katech oil pump would be taking a risk. A cam would be on my list so it would be a no brainer.
Old 06-29-2022, 11:50 AM   #94
Z OH 6

Quote:
I have a late production 18 built 6/25/18 but I think anyone that does mods that doesn’t include a katech oil pump would be taking a risk. A cam would be on my list so it would be a no brainer.
Go for it and enjoy the car the way you want it.
Old 07-15-2022, 11:31 AM   #95
Driv200

Drives: 2022 C8 Z51
OP Reply: Thank you all for great detailed feedback. I can better make the choice for me and my weekend only needs with track days a few times a year favors the ZLE. However, I turn 50 this year, and the ZL1 with magnaride & aftermarket aero might serve my body best. I have never chosen a less track model. ZLE for me. This thread has been a welcomed read. Thank you. To completely throw a curve ball, I just purchased a new C8. Timing and opportunity. The ZLE used market has spiked in unison with the rest of the market. Favoring a new ZLE, $73k-$85k, the price points crept up closer to C8 territory. Inflated C8 values still command a premium over MSRP, but when you’re already at $75k for new ZLE, it’s worth exploring the C8 for an extra $30k. Different car completely, but similarly rewarding in many ways in a new package. Probably that 50yr old DNA. 😂 At lease it’s still in the GM family. And I already ordered headers, high flow cats, & exhaust. Not going soft yet. 😀
Attached Images

2022 Corvette C8 Z51 with mods
2024 = Always come back to ZLE. Actively Looking.
Driv200 is offline   Reply With Quote