Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 04-18-2019, 08:35 AM   #1
Checkmate1

Drives: Garnet Red / ZL1 1LE
Thumbs up MT ZL1 1LE vs A10 ZL1 1LE - Owners Reviews Here!

All,

Let's use this thread for all A10 owners to chime in on their driving experience between the MT and the A10 ZLE's.

Forgetting the engagement factor, curious about the ride quality of the supposedly 'softer' set up of the A10's.

This way, we can have one thread that consolidates all accounts.

I request the owners to be very thorough/detailed in their feedback and hopefully very objective.

Cheers!
Old 04-18-2019, 09:13 AM   #2
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
Definitely feels softer in the rear. The M6 feels more aggressive while taking off.
Old 04-18-2019, 10:06 AM   #3
Jdzumwalt

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE, the comeback
I’m on the fence on buying a new manual. Would love to hear a honest review on the auto. I plan on tracking mine a lot.
Jdzumwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 10:14 AM   #4
Checkmate1

Quote:
Originally Posted by URBAN LEGEND View Post
Definitely feels softer in the rear. The M6 feels more aggressive while taking off.
So the M6 is more racecar? When you say aggressive - the M6 is more eager, snappy and happy?

I would also love if you could get the weight of the A10 ZLE with a full tank of gas. Curious if the added weight is what's making it softer/less aggressive.
Old 04-18-2019, 10:18 AM   #5
Sooner Cole

Drives: 2019 ZL1-1LE A10
I've had both. I had a 18 ZL1-1LE M6 and a new 19 ZL1-1LE A10. The A10 feels faster to me. It is just always in the power band. I know the HP is the same, but at as far as a "feel", the A10 feels much faster. I have not had the new A10 on the track, as I just got it and it is broken in. I will update as I get more seat time.
Old 04-18-2019, 10:19 AM   #6
drfeelgood

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Convertible A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner Cole View Post
I've had both. I had a 18 ZL1-1LE M6 and a new 19 ZL1-1LE A10. The A10 feels faster to me. It is just always in the power band. I know the HP is the same, but at as far as a "feel", the A10 feels much faster. I have not had the new A10 on the track, as I just got it and it is broken in. I will update as I get more seat time.
hard to imagine track times and drag times wont all be better with the A10... its a remarkable transmission
'17 White ZL1 A10 Convertible - TM ported TB - RotoFab CAI - 2.3" griptech upper pulley - Kooks 1 7/8" Headers with High Flow Cats - Borla S-type Catback - Audio Overhaul - NavTV M650-GM - 20" BlackDiForza- Michelin Pilot Sport4S - Tuned at BRC Raceworks (606rwhp/675trq)

'14 CTS-V Coupe - ZL1 lid - Ported TB - Ported Snout - AirRad CAI - 8.66" lower - 2.55" upper- Greenbelt - SW Headers - SW Catback - Varimax Intercooler Pump - Track Attack Intercooler-Tuned at BRC Raceworks (551rwhp/516trq)

'17 Maserati Levante- STOCK
drfeelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 10:39 AM   #7
Checkmate1

Quote:
Sounds good. I am a MT enthusiast as engagement matter more to me.

That being said, Chevy did a good job with the A10. I am curious how much more weight was added when everything was said and done for all the added plumbing/cooling etc. Weight as we know ruins everything.

Having driven a 'regular' ZL1 with the A10, it left me wierd considering it just felt like a fast GTR and I felt the weight also. Curious as to more feedback.
Old 04-18-2019, 11:38 AM   #8
URBAN LEGEND

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkmate1 View Post
So the M6 is more racecar? When you say aggressive - the M6 is more eager, snappy and happy?

I would also love if you could get the weight of the A10 ZLE with a full tank of gas. Curious if the added weight is what's making it softer/less aggressive.
The M6 feels more aggressive on regular drives. As soon as you take off you can feel the difference in gearing. I still haven’t been WOT on the A10. I believe that happens this weekend.

I still have both cars so it’s easy comparing from day to day. I should weigh them both and see what happens.
Old 04-18-2019, 11:41 AM   #9
URBAN LEGEND

Quote:
I really think this comes down to “feel” as we expect the A10 to rip on roll runs.
Old 04-18-2019, 11:42 AM   #10
DevilsReject97
Nightmare

Drives: Your mom crazy in bed
I drove both the manual and A10 versions of the regular ZL1. The M6 and the A10 are geared differently, which is why you feel a difference. In terms of performance, I fully expect the A10 will be the faster car...because it's always in the power band.

The one exception of course will be on super twisty tracks, where I think the manual will still shine more...

A10 = 2.85 final drive
M6 = 3.73 final drive
Old 04-18-2019, 11:43 AM   #11
URBAN LEGEND

My wife’s feedback after driving the A10 a few times was that everything seems easier in the A10 car but the M6 is more entertaining at times.
Old 04-18-2019, 01:19 PM   #12
SFV1LE

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue ZL1 1LE
The A10 will put down faster lap times for the average driver, and fast drag times will be much easier. But the M6 should dyno higher HP due to HP loss from AT torque converter, unless this trans somehow breaks this standard law of physics.

I found it surprisingly easy to put down a quick lap time my M6 ZL1 1LE on my first weekend at Buttonwillow, considering it's the first time I've tracked a manual. Coming from 9 years in a dual clutch sequential, the M6 is a great trans, so easy and fun to shift with rev match.
SFV1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 02:19 PM   #13
DevilsReject97
Nightmare

Drives: Your mom crazy in bed
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFV1LE View Post
The A10 will put down faster lap times for the average driver, and fast drag times will be much easier. But the M6 should dyno higher HP due to HP loss from AT torque converter, unless this trans somehow breaks this standard law of physics.
Something you may want to keep in mind is that the newer auto trans are not seeing the serious power loss that they used to when being dyno'd. Not only are they more efficient, but the better setups are actually producing very similar numbers to the manuals.

Both cars in the mid 550's on the dyno pretty consistently, although I've seen a few over that from both categories. Seen a A10 dyno 575 hp corrected...
Old 04-18-2019, 02:57 PM   #14
Aliveguy5

Drives: 2017 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsReject97 View Post
Something you may want to keep in mind is that the newer auto trans are not seeing the serious power loss that they used to when being dyno'd. Not only are they more efficient, but the better setups are actually producing very similar numbers to the manuals.

Both cars in the mid 550's on the dyno pretty consistently, although I've seen a few over that from both categories. Seen a A10 dyno 575 hp corrected...
Thank you for this... I think what people are really feeling (mainly on the track) is this. This engine has insane low end torque and call 650hp whatever you want. When you are coming out of a corner with 650 tq available at 2k rpm the car is going to move. However torque power out of corner is so more manageable than HP power of out a corner. I.E. I'd much rather come out of the apex putting down the torque power at 3,500 rpm vs dropping the HP at 5,500 rpm. Why I personally can think torque is easier to steer through however hearing this engine wail at 5,500 rpm through all the gears is an awesome sound and makes it seem like you are going warp speed. I've always driven a 6 speed and my previous Z was one as well. My wife asked me to get the 10 speed and I did. No regrets at all but there is a reason why in the hands of Randy Probst he was .1 faster in the manual. Having control is key.

Now highway rips and roll races.... A10 hands down the, M6 doesn't stand a chance if power is equal.
Aliveguy5 is offline   Reply With Quote