Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

AWE Tuning

Old 08-17-2016, 09:36 PM   #1
Medic701

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Bass speaker engine roar noise

Ok so I installed some 12 inch jal audio bass speakers and now you can really hear the bass roar sound from the engine management at low RPM's I have discovered that if you let the engine run for around 20 to 30 min the roar goes away until you shut it off and restart it. I understand that the system has a engine sounds that goes through the speakers however OMG!!! its driving me crazy now with the bass speaker system. Anybody know if there is a certain wire or something I can do to stop the noise.

Last edited by Medic701; 08-23-2016 at 11:25 AM.
Medic701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 11:52 PM   #2
LesserO2Evils
GM repeat offender...

Drives: 16 2SS
Been here.....still screwing with it. Little help on this forum.

Go to factory amp and unplug the 2nd to rear plug. It will have only about 5 wires to it(the least). That will cancel your ANC system and stop the noise. You have an SS, so you do not have engine sounds being pumped thru the audio. It is the noise cancellation for your phone that is causing the interference. Be warned, this will also stop your turn signal sounds, and your rear camera "beeping". Maybe other things I have not noticed yet.
Now if I could just get my damn amp to quit cutting out over 1/4volume....

INCOMING: ‘22 ZL1, Satin Steel. A10. PDR.
Ordered: 03/02/22.
LesserO2Evils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 10:37 AM   #3
KenH.

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 NPP MRC
If you have noise in your subs with the engine running you should find a different place to ground your amp, preferably as far away from any other ground wires as you can, but don't make your ground wire excessively long either. . You may also try using a ground loop isolator if you are tapping into speaker wires to get your rca outputs.
KenH. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 11:44 AM   #4
Medic701

But the rumble sounds like it's rumble noise at lower rpm and goes away after awhile
I thought they had a engine sound management system through the speakers I don't think it's a ground issue
Old 08-18-2016, 12:03 PM   #5
KenH.

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 NPP MRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medic701 View Post
But the rumble sounds like it's rumble noise at lower rpm and goes away after awhile
I thought they had a engine sound management system through the speakers I don't think it's a ground issue
Take what I'm saying with a little grain of salt. It has been 10 years since I did anything car stereo, but I was an mecp certified installer back in my day, and did place 3rd in my class at IASCA world finals in 2003 so I at least used to know wtf i'm talking about

Most ground loop noise is high frequency but I've heard rumbling noises too. This has to do with either ground loop or poorly shielded cabling, or maybe in very very rare case the resonant frequency of your exhaust at those times lines up with your subwoofer enclosure or subwoofer itself's resonant frequency, but in the case of resonant harmonics you would still hear it and see your speakers moving while the amp is turned off.

A couple things you could do to test where the noise is being introduced:

1. run your rca cables to an external source outside the car such as a boom box and make sure you are not running them over your power lines. Routing your signal and power wires together is the best way to introduce noise.

2. Change your ground location. Don't ground directly to the battery or to the battery ground point.

If your rca cables give you noise free sound from an external source it's probably your line converter connections, the converter itself, or the way you have the cables routed when its all together in the car.

The SS has no fake engine sounds piped through the speakers. It doesn't need to fake being a badass.
KenH. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 08:07 PM   #6
Medic701

I will try it
Old 08-20-2016, 12:16 AM   #7
LesserO2Evils
GM repeat offender...

Drives: 16 2SS
Disconnect the plug I advised above. 2seconds-will resolve the issue. I promise.
KenH is absolutely correct- in general. But your issue is specific to this car.

INCOMING: ‘22 ZL1, Satin Steel. A10. PDR.
Ordered: 03/02/22.
LesserO2Evils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 08:12 AM   #8
Medic701

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesserO2Evils View Post
Disconnect the plug I advised above. 2seconds-will resolve the issue. I promise.
KenH is absolutely correct- in general. But your issue is specific to this car.

ok
Old 08-23-2016, 10:11 AM   #9
Medic701

Ok so I did several checks and I gave up so I took it back to a Custom Audio sound install (who installed the subs) and they looked at it and they contacted a GM audio person (who I have no ideal). They said that the SS have a "fake engine audio". it works at low RPM and Low speed. this is driving me F^&# crazy (sry). They said they do not know how to remove the sound.
Old 08-23-2016, 10:25 AM   #10
sub_ETCS_ret

Drives: 2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack
Quote:
Ok so I did several checks and I gave up so I took it back to a Custom Audio sound install (who installed the subs) and they looked at it and they contacted a GM audio person (who I have no ideal). They said that the SS have a "fake engine audio". it works at low RPM and Low speed. this is driving me F^&# crazy (sry). They said they do not know how to remove the sound.
Why would the SS have fake engine noise?!?! That makes no sense. I can see the 1LT and 2LT but not the SS.

Could you also do me a favor and correct your spelling in the title? It's "Bass" not "Base".
"Submariners are a bunch of intelligent misfits that somehow seem to get along, understand each other and work well together." - overheard from a surface officer explaining to another sailor about Submariners
sub_ETCS_ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 11:27 AM   #11
Medic701

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub_ETCS_ret View Post
Why would the SS have fake engine noise?!?! That makes no sense. I can see the 1LT and 2LT but not the SS.

Could you also do me a favor and correct your spelling in the title? It's "Bass" not "Base".
I dont know who else to contact on this issue.
I pulled fuse 21 and love the npp sound.

Fixed
Old 08-23-2016, 11:37 AM   #12
sub_ETCS_ret

Quote:
Fixed
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesserO2Evils View Post
Go to factory amp and unplug the 2nd to rear plug. It will have only about 5 wires to it(the least). That will cancel your ANC system and stop the noise. You have an SS, so you do not have engine sounds being pumped thru the audio. It is the noise cancellation for your phone that is causing the interference. Be warned, this will also stop your turn signal sounds, and your rear camera "beeping". Maybe other things I have not noticed yet.
Now if I could just get my damn amp to quit cutting out over 1/4volume....
Did you try this? I've seen in a couple posts that this works.
"Submariners are a bunch of intelligent misfits that somehow seem to get along, understand each other and work well together." - overheard from a surface officer explaining to another sailor about Submariners
Old 08-23-2016, 11:48 AM   #13
sub_ETCS_ret

Read this post and maybe the whole thread:

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showpo...0&postcount=12
Old 08-23-2016, 11:52 AM   #14
sub_ETCS_ret

Show your installer this thread as well:

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=441516