Old 10-23-2019, 01:32 PM   #15
Jimbeau11

Drives: '18 Black SS 1LE; '01 Corvette Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTRATX View Post
Here you go...

IMG_6983 by J, on Flickr

IMG_6982 by J, on Flickr
With the amount of rust, corrosion on the rotor and hardware looks like these have been around for a while? I've never kept rotors on a track car long enough for them to rust. I've run DBAs for years on my other track car (C5Z) and they are a huge improvement over stock. Used to get close to a full 10 event season on them with DTC70 pads, before they cracked. Never saw tiny cracks like those. Not saying Giro might not be better, but DBA is far from junk. I'm on my 4th event and 2nd set of pads with them on the 1LE with nothing more than minor heat checking. First event was WGI with both my wife and I driving the car with DTC70 pads which are notorious for being tough on rotors. She's a novice and probably a little harder on the brakes. (and if I want her to know I said that I'll tell her......)
Jimbeau11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 11:56 PM   #16
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbeau11 View Post
With the amount of rust, corrosion on the rotor and hardware looks like these have been around for a while? I've never kept rotors on a track car long enough for them to rust. I've run DBAs for years on my other track car (C5Z) and they are a huge improvement over stock. Used to get close to a full 10 event season on them with DTC70 pads, before they cracked. Never saw tiny cracks like those. Not saying Giro might not be better, but DBA is far from junk. I'm on my 4th event and 2nd set of pads with them on the 1LE with nothing more than minor heat checking. First event was WGI with both my wife and I driving the car with DTC70 pads which are notorious for being tough on rotors. She's a novice and probably a little harder on the brakes. (and if I want her to know I said that I'll tell her......)
I used to run DBAs on my C5Z as well. However, after they outsourced their manufacturing to China, I stopped purchasing them, as they didnt last long at all.
OEM Brembos are made in USA. They hold up extremely well imo. I personally dont see a reason to pay the same price for aftermarket rings only vs a whole oem assy.
But that's me. Cheers! PS A novice being possibly harder on the brakes is a myth. Unless they stop the car before each corner entry
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 10:21 AM   #17
Jimbeau11

Drives: '18 Black SS 1LE; '01 Corvette Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
I used to run DBAs on my C5Z as well. However, after they outsourced their manufacturing to China, I stopped purchasing them, as they didnt last long at all.
OEM Brembos are made in USA. They hold up extremely well imo. I personally dont see a reason to pay the same price for aftermarket rings only vs a whole oem assy.
But that's me. Cheers! PS A novice being possibly harder on the brakes is a myth. Unless they stop the car before each corner entry
Everyone has their own experiences and biases. My experience with DBA has been very positive. I never experienced a change in longevity with their C5 rotors between 2009 and 2018. The quality of their replacement rings for this car remains to be seen, but so far they are holding up better than the stock rings.

As far as "myth" is concerned, my experience and observations with over 12 years in the right seat coaching novice students on appropriate braking points, intensity and duration, as well as years conducting tech inspections and having to tell novices they won't be able to drive today unless they brought new pads, would also seem to differ from your experience.

Cheers!
Jimbeau11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 10:47 AM   #18
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbeau11 View Post
Everyone has their own experiences and biases. My experience with DBA has been very positive. I never experienced a change in longevity with their C5 rotors between 2009 and 2018. The quality of their replacement rings for this car remains to be seen, but so far they are holding up better than the stock rings.

As far as "myth" is concerned, my experience and observations with over 12 years in the right seat coaching novice students on appropriate braking points, intensity and duration, as well as years conducting tech inspections and having to tell novices they won't be able to drive today unless they brought new pads, would also seem to differ from your experience.

Cheers!
I certainly respect your opinion. I had started tracking my C5Z a few years before you did yours and by all means I have noticed a difference is ring longevity when they offshored production. Having said that, i haven't used DBAs for a long time now as i had switched my Vette to AP. So i dont have any recent data to be fair.
As far as the myth goes, i know of no reputable club like PCA or BMW that requires novices to switch to DOT4 fluid as a pre-req. Other than bring a car with 50+ % of pad wear.
Meaning a vast majority of novices run on oem fluids.
If they used the brakes so hard as to be * harder * on rotors vs fast experienced guys, all of them would be boiling the fluid and crashing all over the place as a common sight at majority of HPDEs. Thankfully it is not the case and there is a reason for it. Just saying

Peace
Old 10-25-2019, 12:32 PM   #19
TheRealJA105

Drives: 2013 C6Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
I certainly respect your opinion. I had started tracking my C5Z a few years before you did yours and by all means I have noticed a difference is ring longevity when they offshored production. Having said that, i haven't used DBAs for a long time now as i had switched my Vette to AP. So i dont have any recent data to be fair.
As far as the myth goes, i know of no reputable club like PCA or BMW that requires novices to switch to DOT4 fluid as a pre-req. Other than bring a car with 50+ % of pad wear.
Meaning a vast majority of novices run on oem fluids.
If they used the brakes so hard as to be * harder * on rotors vs fast experienced guys, all of them would be boiling the fluid and crashing all over the place as a common sight at majority of HPDEs. Thankfully it is not the case and there is a reason for it. Just saying

Peace
Agreed, Novices will be going much slower than the advanced guys. While they may be on the brakes sooner and longer, the brakes are performing less work because the slower speeds are less kinetic energy. (see also: less heat, less wear)

An intermediate guy who is starting to get some good straight away speed but still over braking probably fits the scenario better than a novice.
TheRealJA105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 08:47 PM   #20
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJA105 View Post
Agreed, Novices will be going much slower than the advanced guys. While they may be on the brakes sooner and longer, the brakes are performing less work because the slower speeds are less kinetic energy. (see also: less heat, less wear)

An intermediate guy who is starting to get some good straight away speed but still over braking probably fits the scenario better than a novice.
Bingo
Old 10-25-2019, 09:33 PM   #21
carguy55

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTRATX View Post
The DBA's are junk. Mine are cracked, unsafe to run at the track and need to be replaced. I mic'd them out at 34MM, which is barely worn. This is on a 1LE being tracked at COTA which is hard on brakes.

Pads used OEM and DCT 70.

Will be ordering Girodisc now and hope they fare better.
How many track days on those rotors?
carguy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 11:35 AM   #22
carguy55

Got my DBAs. Will be interesting to see how long they last with the DTC70, Ti shims and SS track duct kit
Attached Images

Old 11-08-2019, 05:53 PM   #23
carguy55

DBA vs Giro video

Old 11-15-2019, 09:26 AM   #24
olblue75

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
They both have pros and cons.
1LE Front sway bar, Splitter, shocks and struts, Z28 dual mode mufflers, Intake, UCA Bushings, and Toresen 3.91 Diff. 1 piece DSS Drive Shaft, ZL1/C7 Calipers, and 32mm JPSS Rear Bar. ASC race spec splitter and wicker. 6th Gen M017 Wheels. Stainless Works 1 7/8 LTs. DSE and PAFDT Suspension components.
olblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 10:46 AM   #25
Yanbags

Drives: '17 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by olblue75 View Post
They both have pros and cons.
Can you elaborate? Curious to know.
Yanbags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 11:23 AM   #26
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
Is one or both lighter than stock ?

Camaro ZLE 24.xx lbs
Z06 - 19-20 lbs range
DBA
Gerodisc ?

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 03:12 PM   #27
carguy55

1 con, slots eat your pads quicker
Old 11-29-2019, 10:23 PM   #28
Dave-ROR

Drives: A few
IMO just run the stock ones. I got plenty of life out of mine and I'm not exactly slow.
HPDE/DD: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE || HPDE/DD: 2015 Subaru BRZ ||Tow Vehicle: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 8.1L || Weekend toy: 1994 MR2 Turbo || The other weekend toy: 1993 MR2 Turbo || Track car: 1998 Integra Type-R || Race car: 1996 Integra GS-R || New race car build: 1992 Honda Civic Hatchback

Too many cars.. never.
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote