Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

Bigwormgraphix

Old 07-07-2018, 04:40 PM   #15
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsChristianInHD View Post
I’ll have to give it a try. My fear is to ruin my paint. I’m used to doing it by hand where I can control myself better than having a machine ruin the finish because of my Inexpirence.
A comment like that shows you have no experience, which you said is the case, I understand. The more you read about random orbital buffer, the more you will know that it's not like what you grew up with, you can hold a random orbital buffer on the paint for an extended period of time and do no damage, that's because of the way it works, (random movement) and the foam pad (Heat dissapation)

"All polishers do damage" is one of the great urban myths left over from the 1970s…

I wrote this a couple years ago on polishers:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1dfrvhekpg...isher.pdf?dl=0
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 06:03 PM   #16
dfwcowboy

Drives: 2024 ZL1 M6, 1969 Cessna Skylane
I've been using my Porter Cable 7424 for almost 15 years and it's still going strong. At the time I got it there wasn't nearly as many choices as you have today, but Porter Cable still manages to sell a lot of 7424s because they hit a great balance between price and performance.

If I were to replace my 7424, I might look into a cordless option. I have no idea how well they work, but it would be nice to ditch the cord. Otherwise I'm happy with the 7424 and don't see any need to get anything else.
dfwcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 06:13 PM   #17
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfwcowboy View Post
I've been using my Porter Cable 7424 for almost 15 years and it's still going strong. At the time I got it there wasn't nearly as many choices as you have today, but Porter Cable still manages to sell a lot of 7424s because they hit a great balance between price and performance.

If I were to replace my 7424, I might look into a cordless option. I have no idea how well they work, but it would be nice to ditch the cord. Otherwise I'm happy with the 7424 and don't see any need to get anything else.
Reviews are good on the new cordless polishers but you are looking at $450-500. So far they haven't made sense for me but if I were somewhere that I couldn't use the generator, it would be good.
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 06:15 PM   #18
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Quote:

A cordless is all I've used in the last three years. However they're really for a new car with not much swirl or damage. To do true correction, you're going to need a corded polisher. But I love the griots cordless, you're right .....getting rid of the cord is absolutely outstanding, and when you're down on your knees and reaching completely out stretched with your arm doing rockers, it's light so you can do a really good job. One battery does the whole Camaro, no problem.

Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 07:01 AM   #19
ItsChristianInHD

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2LT RS 3.6L
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
A comment like that shows you have no experience, which you said is the case, I understand. The more you read about random orbital buffer, the more you will know that it's not like what you grew up with, you can hold a random orbital buffer on the paint for an extended period of time and do no damage, that's because of the way it works, (random movement) and the foam pad (Heat dissapation)

"All polishers do damage" is one of the great urban myths left over from the 1970s…

I wrote this a couple years ago on polishers:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1dfrvhekpg...isher.pdf?dl=0
Nice read! This is really helpful.
ItsChristianInHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 07:02 AM   #20
ItsChristianInHD

Thank you guys, you were all extremely helpful! I’ll go onto amazon and give an update on what I bought.
Old 07-08-2018, 07:06 AM   #21
ItsChristianInHD

Chemical Guys BUF_209 Porter Cable 7424XP Detailing Complete Detailing Kit with Pads, Backing Plate and Accessories (13 Items) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003UW1IQU..._v3FqBbZ9EJWA4
Is this a good deal or a not worth it?
Old 07-08-2018, 07:26 AM   #22
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Why not go with this and save $100?

Harbor Freight polisher - $70
polishing pad - $10
Meguiars 205 - $20 at walmart
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 09:46 AM   #23
ItsChristianInHD

I like that idea better, now is 205 better than ultimate?

Last edited by ItsChristianInHD; 07-08-2018 at 10:11 AM.
Old 07-12-2018, 09:23 AM   #24
DangerZL1

Drives: 2023 Black ZL1 Auto
I've read that 205 is about the same as Ultimate, its just under the Mirror Glaze line vs the Meguiar's line. 205 is my favorite polish.
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 11:55 AM   #25
ItsChristianInHD

Ohhh alright. I’m goin out to harbor freight tonight after work. And then hitting up O Riley’s afterwards to get pads, a new backing plate and 205.
Old 07-12-2018, 05:47 PM   #26
Mcmillion

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1998 SS 1992 Typhoon
If you want to accomplish a light polish with wax and like the Megs products, the Megs 301 finish wax a is nice one step, compared with 205 and then waxing after. If it's going to be your only polisher I'd get a 5 in backing plate, these Camaro's have lots of angles and curves you don't notice until you polish. FWIW if you want to increase the budget for some newer tech the long throws really save a ton of time, I really like my Griots Boss G15.
Mcmillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 08:16 PM   #27
ItsChristianInHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcmillion View Post
If you want to accomplish a light polish with wax and like the Megs products, the Megs 301 finish wax a is nice one step, compared with 205 and then waxing after. If it's going to be your only polisher I'd get a 5 in backing plate, these Camaro's have lots of angles and curves you don't notice until you polish. FWIW if you want to increase the budget for some newer tech the long throws really save a ton of time, I really like my Griots Boss G15.
Oh really? I was thinking of switching to a 5 inch backing plate and polish pads. Now I don’t know what brands to get for the plate and pads? Can someone guide me on that?
Old 07-12-2018, 09:46 PM   #28
Burly

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsChristianInHD View Post
Oh really? I was thinking of switching to a 5 inch backing plate and polish pads. Now I don’t know what brands to get for the plate and pads? Can someone guide me on that?
You can not go wrong with the 5.5” Lake Country pads and backing plate. Another suggestion which is not totally necessary but I would get some 3” pads and a backing plate. The 3” is great for the bumpers and smaller areas, like polishing the side windows. I bought a second used Griots DA which I dedicate for 3” stuff.
Burly is offline   Reply With Quote