Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

AWE Tuning

Old 07-07-2018, 10:54 AM   #1
ItsChristianInHD

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2LT RS 3.6L
Interested in buying a polished/buffer.

Hey guys. I’m looking to change from hand waxing/polishing to a machine.
What is the best polisher/buffer that’s pretty reasonably priced. But does the job well.
I am going to be new at it, so, also recommendations on what polish and polisher is the best for a new person?

Thank you, Christian.
ItsChristianInHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 11:05 AM   #2
travislambert

Drives: '17 ZL1
I have this one from Adam's:
https://adamspolishes.com/shop/exter...-polisher.html

It's a little more expensive than some, but the quality exceeds the price. The pictures don't do it justice. It's truly a high-quality polisher.

The long throw and speed settings make it a great choice for a beginner.

2023 Camaro SS 1LE A10
2023 Camaro ZL1 1LE M6
2017 Camaro ZL1 M6
2016 Camaro SS M6 w/LT4 (Sold)
travislambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 11:24 AM   #3
ItsChristianInHD

What do you use? Polish wise.
Old 07-07-2018, 11:40 AM   #4
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
The best, most reliable dual action polisher on the market is the Flex 3401. You cannot go wrong with that machine.

I also have the new Makita PO5000C gear driven dual action polisher. Great machine I love it. We will see how reliability and longevity is in the future.

You can get a decent polisher from Porter Cable. The 7424XP is a good polisher, but it does vibrate you to death. It is cheap and will last forever.

Harbor Freight sells a decent dual action polisher. You can get it for about $50 with a coupon. The backing plate is junk though so most people buy a Flex or Meguiar's backing plate and replace the original one.

I don't recommend buying a polisher with a chemical products name printed on it. They are just polishers made by the normal manufacturers, and you pay a premium price for the name on it (Adam's, Griots, Meguiar's, Chemical Guys-Torq, etc.)

Those are the 4 that I would recommend. Based on hours and hours and hours of use.
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 11:42 AM   #5
KirkH

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsChristianInHD View Post
You cannot go wrong with Meguiar's. Optimum is great too. Chemical guys polish is junk.
Old 07-07-2018, 12:43 PM   #6
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Just this morning I saw the Dallas paint correction guy's youtube video comparing the Harbor freight unit to the griot's. He makes a pretty compelling case to save yourself $100 and get the HF unit.

https://youtu.be/_PFddUJEFTA
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 01:52 PM   #7
ItsChristianInHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkH View Post
The best, most reliable dual action polisher on the market is the Flex 3401. You cannot go wrong with that machine.

I also have the new Makita PO5000C gear driven dual action polisher. Great machine I love it. We will see how reliability and longevity is in the future.

You can get a decent polisher from Porter Cable. The 7424XP is a good polisher, but it does vibrate you to death. It is cheap and will last forever.

Harbor Freight sells a decent dual action polisher. You can get it for about $50 with a coupon. The backing plate is junk though so most people buy a Flex or Meguiar's backing plate and replace the original one.

I don't recommend buying a polisher with a chemical products name printed on it. They are just polishers made by the normal manufacturers, and you pay a premium price for the name on it (Adam's, Griots, Meguiar's, Chemical Guys-Torq, etc.)

Those are the 4 that I would recommend. Based on hours and hours and hours of use.

Out of those. Which one would you prefer to give to a newbe? I want good results but I do not want to butcher my paint.
Old 07-07-2018, 02:48 PM   #8
travislambert

Drives: '17 ZL1
Quote:
I just use the Adam's polish too. Even the heavy correcting polish isn't too abrasive which makes this a great kit for the do-it-yourselfer.

https://adamspolishes.com/shop/exter...ish-combo.html

3M makes better polish and pads for the professional, but their stuff cuts fast and an amateur can get themselves into trouble quick.

Someone mentioned earlier to avoid the rebranded units, but I don't see a big reason to do that. From what I remember before I bought mine, the parent brand that makes the unit for Adam's sells the same-exact polisher for $400+. (Unfortunately I can't find a reference at the moment.)

Bottom line though... just about any unit will get the job done. I like polishers with a long throw because I think they're easier to use. I pick Adam's because I know their products get vetted for quality and if there is ever an issue they'll make it right. (GM trusts them enough to resell their products too.)

2023 Camaro SS 1LE A10
2023 Camaro ZL1 1LE M6
2017 Camaro ZL1 M6
2016 Camaro SS M6 w/LT4 (Sold)
travislambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 03:12 PM   #9
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Everybody always talks about product and which buffer you should buy and no one really talks about the procedure. The procedure of using a polisher is an easy skill to master, and 100 times more important than what brand /manufacture you buy. You can buy any one of the polishers mentioned above and get good results. Just get a good medium pad from Lake County or Griots, or any good detailing source. , and for a new car you can use Meguires 205 polish from the auto parts store. Then go to YouTube and autogeek and watch about 50 videos on how to use a buffer polisher.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 03:24 PM   #10
KirkH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
Everybody always talks about product and which buffer you should buy and no one really talks about the procedure. The procedure of using a polisher is an easy skill to master, and 100 times more important than what brand /manufacture you buy. You can buy any one of the polishers mentioned above and get good results. Just get a good medium pad from Lake County or Griots, or any good detailing source. , and for a new car you can use Meguires 205 polish from the auto parts store. Then go to YouTube and autogeek and watch about 50 videos on how to use a buffer polisher.
I agree. The cheaper machines can definitely get the job done with the right pads and polish. The big differences between cheap vs pricey are vibration and heat.
Old 07-07-2018, 04:09 PM   #11
ItsChristianInHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by travislambert View Post
I just use the Adam's polish too. Even the heavy correcting polish isn't too abrasive which makes this a great kit for the do-it-yourselfer.

https://adamspolishes.com/shop/exter...ish-combo.html

3M makes better polish and pads for the professional, but their stuff cuts fast and an amateur can get themselves into trouble quick.

Someone mentioned earlier to avoid the rebranded units, but I don't see a big reason to do that. From what I remember before I bought mine, the parent brand that makes the unit for Adam's sells the same-exact polisher for $400+. (Unfortunately I can't find a reference at the moment.)

Bottom line though... just about any unit will get the job done. I like polishers with a long throw because I think they're easier to use. I pick Adam's because I know their products get vetted for quality and if there is ever an issue they'll make it right. (GM trusts them enough to resell their products too.)
Alright sweet. My uncle uses Adams on his Lamborghini he loves their stuff.
Old 07-07-2018, 04:10 PM   #12
ItsChristianInHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
I’ll have to give it a try. My fear is to ruin my paint. I’m used to doing it by hand where I can control myself better than having a machine ruin the finish because of my Inexpirence.
Old 07-07-2018, 04:13 PM   #13
KirkH

Quote:
I’ll have to give it a try. My fear is to ruin my paint. I’m used to doing it by hand where I can control myself better than having a machine ruin the finish because of my Inexpirence.
You wont ruin your paint with a DA polisher and foam pads. With a rotary polisher, yes you can damage your paint.

That is, unless you drop the polisher on the paint or something!
Old 07-07-2018, 04:15 PM   #14
KirkH

Quote:
Out of those. Which one would you prefer to give to a newbe? I want good results but I do not want to butcher my paint.
Most newbies go for the Porter Cable 7424XP. It was my first.

If you are a "tool guy" and buy the best tools because you know in the long run that's the best way , go with the Flex.