Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

Phastek Performance

Old 07-12-2018, 10:04 PM   #29
ItsChristianInHD

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2LT RS 3.6L
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burly View Post
You can not go wrong with the 5.5” Lake Country pads and backing plate. Another suggestion which is not totally necessary but I would get some 3” pads and a backing plate. The 3” is great for the bumpers and smaller areas, like polishing the side windows. I bought a second used Griots DA which I dedicate for 3” stuff.
I’ll have to think of that second idea down the line. Now did you purchase a 5in backing plate and 5.5 in pads? I’m on amazon right now, really all my car and the girlfriends mustang as are minor clear coat scratches.
ItsChristianInHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 05:15 AM   #30
Burly

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsChristianInHD View Post
I’ll have to think of that second idea down the line. Now did you purchase a 5in backing plate and 5.5 in pads? I’m on amazon right now, really all my car and the girlfriends mustang as are minor clear coat scratches.
Yes, 5” plate and 5.5” pads. I would start with 4 orange cutting pads and 4 white polishing pads. Use orange to correct any obvious scratches and swirls, follow with white pad to polish. You should use at least 2 white pads for the Camaro, one for each side of car split down middle. Prime pad with 4-5 pea sized drops of product and then use only 2-3 drops per working section. When done with pads, immediately clean them out, smear with a little Dawn dish soap, agitate till it foams, rinse out with warm water until water runs clear, wring out water. Let dry with pad face down and store totally dry in a sealed container.
Burly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 07:52 AM   #31
ItsChristianInHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burly View Post
Yes, 5” plate and 5.5” pads. I would start with 4 orange cutting pads and 4 white polishing pads. Use orange to correct any obvious scratches and swirls, follow with white pad to polish. You should use at least 2 white pads for the Camaro, one for each side of car split down middle. Prime pad with 4-5 pea sized drops of product and then use only 2-3 drops per working section. When done with pads, immediately clean them out, smear with a little Dawn dish soap, agitate till it foams, rinse out with warm water until water runs clear, wring out water. Let dry with pad face down and store totally dry in a sealed container.
Alright! Thanks man if I have questions I’ll ask.
Old 07-15-2018, 12:03 PM   #32
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsChristianInHD View Post
Oh really? I was thinking of switching to a 5 inch backing plate and polish pads. Now I don’t know what brands to get for the plate and pads? Can someone guide me on that?

All of the entry level DA polishers use a 5/16" threaded backing plate. Lake Country makes a 5" and a 3" flexible plate. I'd suggest you get both, as there are many areas on a Camaro that a 5.5" pad won't fit. With the 3" plate, you can also use 3.5" pads.

Lots of good pads on the market. Lake Country, Megiuars, Buff & Shine, Scholl Concepts to name a few.

When using a SMAT abrasive like M205, the cutting ability can be moved up or down based upon what type of cut the pad has.

You can use it with a medium cut pad and remove light swirls. For a higher gloss, use with a no cut pad.

Some things you will need besides the machine, pads, polish are......a pad brush or compressed air.....keeping your pads clean is very important for consistent results when polishing.
You'll be getting two different things on your pads, paint residue, and spent polish residue.
Not cleaning your pad after each section will change the cutting ability of the polish/pad, and will cause inconsistent results.

Another thing you will need is either Isopropyl Alcohol or Carpro Eraser. After you have polished the section you need to remove the polish residue off the paint. This ensures whatever type of coating, sealant or wax you are using will bond properly to the paint.

The last and most overlooked thing most people do when polishing their paint is improper use of lighting.
Nothing is worse than spending hours to polish your paint, only to take it out in the sunlight and see that you didn't remove the defects. Using a light to check the section after polishing is crucial to ensure your getting the results you want.

Also the speed at which you move the machine is very important. Most people get a machine in their hands for the first time and move it way too fast. This doesn't give it the time to do it's job properly.

Also.....here is good information for polishing curved areas.

Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, 3.91 gear, Eaton True-trac, DSS 1000hp axles.

Last edited by Joe M 2012 2SS; 07-15-2018 at 12:45 PM.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 03:55 PM   #33
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by travislambert View Post
I have this one from Adam's:
https://adamspolishes.com/shop/exter...-polisher.html

It's a little more expensive than some, but the quality exceeds the price. The pictures don't do it justice. It's truly a high-quality polisher.

The long throw and speed settings make it a great choice for a beginner.
Thanks!
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 04:04 PM   #34
ItsChristianInHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe M 2012 2SS View Post
All of the entry level DA polishers use a 5/16" threaded backing plate. Lake Country makes a 5" and a 3" flexible plate. I'd suggest you get both, as there are many areas on a Camaro that a 5.5" pad won't fit. With the 3" plate, you can also use 3.5" pads.

Lots of good pads on the market. Lake Country, Megiuars, Buff & Shine, Scholl Concepts to name a few.

When using a SMAT abrasive like M205, the cutting ability can be moved up or down based upon what type of cut the pad has.

You can use it with a medium cut pad and remove light swirls. For a higher gloss, use with a no cut pad.

Some things you will need besides the machine, pads, polish are......a pad brush or compressed air.....keeping your pads clean is very important for consistent results when polishing.
You'll be getting two different things on your pads, paint residue, and spent polish residue.
Not cleaning your pad after each section will change the cutting ability of the polish/pad, and will cause inconsistent results.

Another thing you will need is either Isopropyl Alcohol or Carpro Eraser. After you have polished the section you need to remove the polish residue off the paint. This ensures whatever type of coating, sealant or wax you are using will bond properly to the paint.

The last and most overlooked thing most people do when polishing their paint is improper use of lighting.
Nothing is worse than spending hours to polish your paint, only to take it out in the sunlight and see that you didn't remove the defects. Using a light to check the section after polishing is crucial to ensure your getting the results you want.

Also the speed at which you move the machine is very important. Most people get a machine in their hands for the first time and move it way too fast. This doesn't give it the time to do it's job properly.

Also.....here is good information for polishing curved areas.

Thanks for the info man!!
Old 07-25-2018, 01:56 AM   #35
GrimReaperSS

Drives: 2001 Onyx Black/Ebony SS. 427/M6
Recently bought the Makita PO5000C myself, have yet to use it. Still need to purchase pads and such. Ive been cruising Autogeek.net for awhile, a ton of info and videos on there as well as their Detailing 101 by Autogeek Facebook page. It can get a bit product happy/"fan boy-ish" over there as far as brands go, but you can navigate through it.
GrimReaperSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 10:05 PM   #36
USAFS197

Drives: 2018 Audi TT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody B View Post
I was too in similar dilemma like you when I was searching for a good polisher when I bought my Ford Fiesta ST. After doing bit research, I decided to go for the products of TopCoat F11. And then there's no looking back. Their quality exceeds the price. Before I used to wash my car with Soap and water-which I no longer use it now. Just spray on, rub it in and buff it. Shines like new.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody B View Post
I would recommend using TopCoat F11 polish and sealants. They're kinda good in removing stains along with Micro scratches and swirl marks. Just spray on, rub it in and buff it. Shines like new.
You've only made two posts on Camaro5/6, both of which endorse F11. I would think anyone would find that to be highly suspect.
About as fast as the TT RS
2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Sold
2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Sold
2019 Corvette Z06
Sold
2021 Charger Hellcat Redeye Widebody
Sold
USAFS197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 10:19 PM   #37
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFS197 View Post
You've only made two posts on Camaro5/6, both of which endorse F11. I would think anyone would find that to be highly suspect.
BUSTED! The reviews at autogeek are not good. General rule of thumb is if you find something being touted on Facebook, it’s usually a employee.

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...ht=topcoat+f11
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 01:57 AM   #38
solobaric

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS
Great thread
Old 07-27-2018, 06:48 AM   #39
24v
Account Suspended

Drives: 2018 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe M 2012 2SS View Post
I think the forced rotation DA's really help with this issue. I recently bought the Makita and polished my wifes 2018 Accord with it. There are a lot of little areas around body curves, etc on that car and I had no issues using a 5.5" pad for the whole car.

With that said, I have never really polished with anything other than a rotary polisher, and it has been years. Please take my comments with a grain of salt.
24v is offline   Reply With Quote