Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 06-21-2018, 12:19 PM   #1
Silverwing

Drives: Yellow 2018 SS
Mode selector switch removal

Hey guys. I recently purchased my 2018 SS with super low miles but the previous owner appears to have spilled something sticky in the driving mode selector switch.

If I try and select a different mode, it works, it's just super stiff and sticky in some angles.
Does anybody know if I can just pop the switch off to clean underneath? Or will that break a retaining tab of some kind. Thanks in advance.
Silverwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 03:44 PM   #2
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
The whole console comes up pretty easily. There are threads on that in the Audio sub forum since people are hardwiring things under there.

You might try some all purpose cleaner, detail brush and compressed air first.
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 05:19 PM   #3
Silverwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkH View Post
The whole console comes up pretty easily. There are threads on that in the Audio sub forum since people are hardwiring things under there.

You might try some all purpose cleaner, detail brush and compressed air first.
I don't want to go spraying a cleaner into the crevice until I can see their are no electronics/exposed terminals or wires directly underneath the rocker switch.

I'll check out the audio section in case someone put a picture of the rocker switch removed but it really feels like it comes right off. I'd just like confirmation from someone that has removed it that it comes off and back on easily and without breaking.
Old 06-21-2018, 07:38 PM   #4
KirkH

Spray some APC on the brush and brush around then blow out with air. Detailers do it all the time.
Old 06-22-2018, 07:27 AM   #5
Silverwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkH View Post
Spray some APC on the brush and brush around then blow out with air. Detailers do it all the time.
Yea? I'll give that a try, I always always under the impression APC can discolor plastics. Thanks.
Old 06-25-2018, 12:58 PM   #6
Silverwing

Tried that and I just couldn't get underneath the button. At it's highest position (most stress on it from lifting from the bottom) I can only get a can of air nozzle in there and blow, which didn't work.

When I went out there to clean it over the weekend it was really hot out which I think softened the sticky material because it seemed fine while I was cleaning it, but today when I went out to work it was back it it's stiff and sticky self.

I really really need to pull it off to properly clean underneath it. Can anyone recommend a removal procedure or some steps?
Or even some wisdom that it wont break if I try to pull it off?

I'll be posting this in a couple other sub forums to see if anyone has done this or knows.

Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks.
Old 06-25-2018, 01:06 PM   #7
KirkH

It was worth a try before you go any deeper.

Loosening the console and lifting it up is , I think, 4 screws. Lift up the console and you should be able to remove the switch to clean.
Old 07-13-2018, 10:49 AM   #8
Silverwing

Okay so just a small update. I managed to get a contact cleaner that's safe for plastic and went nuts underneath the button, after soaking I move the buttton back and forth repeatedly until I can feel it loosen. I continue this motion until most of the liquid dries (45 seconds to a minute or so).

That's enough for it to break completely loose and feel great again. However, once the car gets going and the a/c is on for awhile it seems to stiffen back up. Kinda like the a/c is thickening the sticky substance under the button. (I'm sure it's got to be soda)

So after driving the car around a bit it's back to it's sticky self. I go back under the button and soak it in some contact cleaner again and it works. It's loose again but it seems like this is an ongoing fight even though I've been meticulous with the car since I got it.

Probably gonna try it a couple more time before I give up and just pull the whole center console out to get to the button and run a damn hose on it. lol
Old 07-13-2018, 11:08 AM   #9
Kise

Drives: 16' 2SS, 06' Silverado SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverwing View Post
Okay so just a small update. I managed to get a contact cleaner that's safe for plastic and went nuts underneath the button, after soaking I move the buttton back and forth repeatedly until I can feel it loosen. I continue this motion until most of the liquid dries (45 seconds to a minute or so).

That's enough for it to break completely loose and feel great again. However, once the car gets going and the a/c is on for awhile it seems to stiffen back up. Kinda like the a/c is thickening the sticky substance under the button. (I'm sure it's got to be soda)

So after driving the car around a bit it's back to it's sticky self. I go back under the button and soak it in some contact cleaner again and it works. It's loose again but it seems like this is an ongoing fight even though I've been meticulous with the car since I got it.

Probably gonna try it a couple more time before I give up and just pull the whole center console out to get to the button and run a damn hose on it. lol
"soda" what are ya from PA

removing the console is your best bet to avoid any damages.
my friend had the same situation and he just used windex with some kind of wire or something and it worked to an extent.
once that cold hits it will always stiffen up unfortunately.
Kise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 09:09 AM   #10
Silverwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kise View Post
"soda" what are ya from PA

removing the console is your best bet to avoid any damages.
my friend had the same situation and he just used windex with some kind of wire or something and it worked to an extent.
once that cold hits it will always stiffen up unfortunately.
Let me guess, you guys call it "pop"? lol

I've called it soda my whole life. Born in NY raised in FL. I got a friend from Indiana and he calls it pop. I'm sure they are plenty of other names for it I've never heard of lol.

Yea, I tried the whole wire coat hanger with a towel on the end, problem for me is while I can fit the wire under the button I can't fit anything on the wire to fit under the button. So nothing cloth based can really squeeze under there.

I've sprayed a couple more times and it seems like every time it helps a little bit more. The only time it really stiffens up now is when I'm in the car for an extended period with the A/C running.

I figure I'll leave it as is for a bit and see if it still bugs me.
Old 07-23-2018, 09:56 AM   #11
MANNAXMAN

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverwing View Post
Let me guess, you guys call it "pop"? lol

I've called it soda my whole life. Born in NY raised in FL. I got a friend from Indiana and he calls it pop. I'm sure they are plenty of other names for it I've never heard of lol.
Cali native here and I've always called it soda. I think "pop" is a Midwest thing. I had a gf that was from Michigan. She learned to call it soda after living in California for a while. When I went with her to Michigan for a high school reunion, everyone called it pop, but with a Michigan/Midwest accent.
1961 Volkswagen Beetle with Sliding Ragtop Sunroof (2009-Present)
1964 Volkswagen Beetle with aftermarket Sliding Ragtop Sunroof (Sold)
Follow me on Instagram - @gen6_2ss_vert
MANNAXMAN is offline   Reply With Quote