Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 08-01-2020, 06:13 PM   #1
oneplustwo

Drives: 2018 Torch Red SS 1LE with Whipple
My experience replacing AC belt on Whipple supercharged SS 1LE

Thought it might help someone to share my experience here.

First the process I would recommend:
1. Remove the air box, whipple belt, serpentine belt, whipple crank pulley, and tensioner pulley.
2. Get the belt on the crank pulley and on as much of the AC pulley as possible.
3. Use a 27mm twelve point socket on the ARP crank bolt.
4. Have a friend turn the crank while you push the belt toward the engine and onto the AC pulley.
5. Turn the crank around enough to verify the belt is seated correctly on both pulleys.
6. Put everything back!

What didn’t work for me.
1. I was not able to do this myself after many attempts. I wasn’t strong enough and couldn’t get enough leverage in the tight space to both turn the crank and push the belt at the same time. But with two people it was pretty easy. I wish I had started with two people! It would have saved me a lot of scratches on my forearms! (There are so many sharp plastic edges in there!)
2. I tried ac pulley first and crank pulley second. Might have worked with two people but I got closer with the other method when I was trying to do it myself the original way.
3. I tried not removing the whipple crank pulley, but it was helpful to have the extra clearance without it there. If you had a deeper 27 pt socket you might be able to get away with not removing it.

Hope that helps!