Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro Convertible

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-25-2020, 05:03 PM   #1
Warsteiner

Drives: 2016 Red Hot 2LT RS Vert
I finally found the perfect fit for a sub!

I have been searching and searching for the right sub for my 2016 vert. I previously had a single 10" in a truck box that was modified for down fire. Basically the shop just put an extra piece of wood on the short side to make it a square. This still limited me to a pretty shallow mounted sub.

Today I got my new replacement. They have a 10" and 12" option from Kenwood. Here it is: https://www.kenwood.com/usa/car/excelon/p-xrw1202db/

It fits perfectly under the top when the top is down. It is just over 9" tall. The top does not look to touch it much but it does sit right up next to it. Now I don't have much experience with Kenwood subwoofers but this thing sounds pretty good to me. Also I am pretty sure you could fit almost any sub in there you want. I am thinking about putting a type-r in there myself if I feel it is warranted.

The construction of the box is pretty good and for its size it was very light weight. I had no issues at all getting it in the trunk opening. I will post again later in the week once I have had more time to put it through the paces.

I just thought I would share this since I know how difficult it is to find a box that fits anything other than shallow mount in our trunks without spending a ton of $$$ on a custom box. I know I took a gamble when I ordered this that it would fit but so far it has paid off big time.

Wars
Old 07-25-2020, 05:11 PM   #2
Ajs16400

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS Convertible
Pictures???????
Ajs16400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 10:55 AM   #3
Plasar

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Vert M6
Thumbs up

Congrats Warsteiner, I came to the same conclusion.

* JL makes several models too - 6.5, 8, 10, 12 inch, and at least 2 classes of sub speaker.
* Here's the one I chose, the 10 inch - JL Audio CS110LG-TW3, $419.99 at Crutchfield.
* Fits perfectly with the top down height-wise and length/width-wise inside of the fabric divider
* I had my installer screw in a handle for carrying if I take it out.
* We used a SpeakON connection for quick connection/disconnection.

Crutchfield JL-Audio-CS110LG-TW3

* Here's a link to my full install.

ZL1 vert stereo upgrade
Attached Images

Last edited by Plasar; 09-25-2020 at 09:51 AM.
Plasar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 01:55 PM   #4
Warsteiner

Here are some pics with the top up. I tried with top down but they did not come out well on my phone. I have an older Galaxy S9 and the camera kinda sucks.
I put my scraper on to so you can kinda see how tall it is compared to the side cutouts for the top. It is just barely shorter than it.

Name:  20200726_144823.jpg
Views: 1205
Size:  230.2 KB
Name:  20200726_144819.jpg
Views: 1198
Size:  185.6 KB
Old 08-02-2020, 04:38 PM   #5
Drago77
Treasure Coast Camaro 5

Drives: 19 2SS vert, Mosaic Blk, A10
I have the JL TW3 12 in mine, powered by a JL 500 watt mono amp. The Bose really messes up the sound quality, but it's a big imprivement over stock. As previously mentioned, fits perfect under the top. It's a bit wider than the 10" (which I had originally and blew) so I had to mount the amp next to the Bose crap, but it's definitely an improvement
Drago77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 10:03 PM   #6
Nitefall17

Drives: Camaro 1SS A8 Vert
These will work also:
https://www.kicker.com/trtp-down-fir...ded-enclosures.
Nitefall17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 10:04 PM   #7
Nitefall17

Drives: Camaro 1SS A8 Vert
I have one of these in 10"
https://www.kicker.com/TB-Series-Subwoofer-Enclosures.
Nitefall17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 11:52 AM   #8
unixadm

Drives: 2017 2SS Convertible Nightfall Gray
How can a subwoofer be wired in? I know the amp/wiring is under floor in trunk...but there isn't a subwoofer input of course (wouldn't that be a great feature..plug and play options for expanding system).

I have seen threads of people spending $5000+ on a custom stereo upgrade...i want to do it myself, with limited budget just to give some better bass and better sound to the crappy system
unixadm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 01:53 PM   #9
Warsteiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by unixadm View Post
How can a subwoofer be wired in? I know the amp/wiring is under floor in trunk...but there isn't a subwoofer input of course (wouldn't that be a great feature..plug and play options for expanding system).

I have seen threads of people spending $5000+ on a custom stereo upgrade...i want to do it myself, with limited budget just to give some better bass and better sound to the crappy system
You will need a line out converter and an amp. There are a ton of ways to hook up the converter and amp. You will have to do some searching and see your options. There are plenty of people on here that have posted on adding an amp. You can do it for a lot less than $5K. Since the battery is already in the trunk wiring for the amp is not that bad. Things don't get expensive until you start looking at replacing everything and using an amp interface with a DSP. Then prices can get up there.

I replaced all of my speakers and added a 5 channel amp with a amp interface from PAC. All together I am sitting around $2.5K. But I did it a little at a time so that cost was spread out.
Old 08-15-2020, 02:17 PM   #10
NZuercher

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro 2LS
I'm looking at some similar options to install a low profile subwoofer in the trunk in the space under the convertible top. My top two options as of now are:

PowerBass PS-ADF110T 10" down-firing enclosure with integrated 175 Watt amplifier. Accepts speaker level inputs, so nothing else would be needed. https://powerbassusa.com/us/en/produ...ing-Enclosure/ Cost is $270

Or

Kicker 47TRTP122 12" down-firing enclosure, combined with a separate JVC KS-DR3001D 400W (2ohm RMS) amp. https://www.kicker.com/comprt-12-inc...aded-enclosure Cost is around $475

Obviously the Kicker is a larger and more powerful system. But, is there enough difference to be worth nearly double the cost? Does anyone have any experience with either of these?

Also, if I go the Kicker option, are there any other recommendations for a single channel 400-500 Watt amp (preferably with speaker level inputs, low pass filter & auto turn on)?

Finally, I am just planning to use T-splices to tap into the door speaker outputs from the Bose amp. Does anyone know the color code for the factory speaker wiring? I understand the plugs and the wire colors are different between the Coupe and the Convertible.

I have a 2017 Convertible 2LT-RS with factory Bose system. The Bose system sounds very good and clear in the upper ranges, but for me is lacking at the low end. So, I'm just wanting to add a little boost to the lows (125Hz and below).
NZuercher is offline   Reply With Quote