Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-10-2018, 01:23 PM   #1
PhatStackSS
PhaSSt

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Night Fury Cam in '11 SS

I recently just put a Night Fury Cam in my car. (I'm a newbie when it comes to engine work; luckily my brother & father are mechanics and help). My uncle works on race cars & suggested I put different springs and rods in since the Night Fury Cam is bigger than stock. I have been using all stock parts but now thinking about it, should I take his advice.. I mean I am going to but what rods & springs should I get? BTR Chromoly rods have been sitting in my head for a long time, as well as the springs. I just haven't fell through with it yet. Also fuel injectors.. should I get new ones? Or is it better to call whoever from Lethal Racing and get their thought/facts of what I need to get for the cam? I also was thinking of getting new lifters, but I'm assuming the lifters should be fine..? My car has about 65k miles, the lifters look new still. Thoughts on my situation please and thank you!
Old 06-10-2018, 01:48 PM   #2
saluki

Drives: 2017 Silverado
can you list what you have on the car? also if you are still using the stock blue valve springs park the car and don't start it until you change them

'13 SS @ Burkhart Chassis
saluki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 02:59 PM   #3
PhatStackSS
PhaSSt

I am currently putting the Night Fury cam in & Kooks headers. I have a Borla Cat-Back exhaust & Roto-Fab CAI I'll be putting back on it. But everything else is completely stock.
Old 06-10-2018, 03:03 PM   #4
zz430camaro

Drives: 2015 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhatStackSS View Post
I am currently putting the Night Fury cam in & Kooks headers. I have a Borla Cat-Back exhaust & Roto-Fab CAI I'll be putting back on it. But everything else is completely stock.
You must get new valve springs and pushrods for the cam. Texas Speed can get you the correct ones. Its not a bad idea to get new quality lifters but you need to take of the heads to replace the lifters. Dont buy cams from Brian Tooley, they have problems with them. Go to Texas Speed, they can get you a cam or grind you a night fury.
zz430camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 04:02 PM   #5
jergarr

Drives: 11' RJT 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz430camaro View Post
Dont buy cams from Brian Tooley, they have problems with them.
Thats interesting to hear. I've never heard of any problems with them.
Stainless Power Headers w/cats
Fluidampr 25% UDP
Cold Air Inductions Intake
Bo White Ported Throttle Body
ADM Trans Cooler
Some BMR Goodies
jergarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 04:04 PM   #6
PFL

Drives: Camaro SS
Quote:
You must get new valve springs and pushrods for the cam. Texas Speed can get you the correct ones. Its not a bad idea to get new quality lifters but you need to take of the heads to replace the lifters. Dont buy cams from Brian Tooley, they have problems with them. Go to Texas Speed, they can get you a cam or grind you a night fury.

Did you come to that conclusion alone? BTR racing has the best cam.
PFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 04:23 PM   #7
zz430camaro

Drives: 2015 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by PFL View Post

Did you come to that conclusion alone? BTR racing has the best cam.
Let me re-phrase that, dont buy cams from them that are ground by Comp Cams, there is plenty of data to support this. Just ask Bo White, he pulled a BTR stage 3 that was coming apart with pics to prove it. Here is the pic from when he pulled out the cam, would you put one in after seeing that? Its happened to many of them if you search around, sad but true.

Name:  cam lobe fail.jpg
Views: 763
Size:  93.5 KB

Last edited by zz430camaro; 06-10-2018 at 04:41 PM.
zz430camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 04:45 PM   #8
PhatStackSS
PhaSSt

Quote:
Well I already have the Night Fury cam in. I'll be calling tomorrow morning to see what springs & rods are recommended for the cam. & I have heard nothing but good about BT. You're the first I have heard say something negative. I mean everyone has their opinion about things but you'll never know until you test it out yourself. Live and learn
Old 06-10-2018, 05:45 PM   #9
saluki

Drives: 2017 Silverado
Quote:
Don't by springs from texas speed they have problems with them. ask all the guys that used there .650's. ask LS1TECH

no matter that these incidences happened a while ago.

'13 SS @ Burkhart Chassis
saluki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 08:22 PM   #10
bhillakaiceberg

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS & 2017 1SS
LOL!! This thread is full of #FAIL!

BTR Cams and valve springs are fine. Comp Cams are fine. Plenty of folks are running them with no issues.

Yes, comp cams did have a run of bad camshafts, but that was a very small percentage of their overall heavy production.

OP: Yes, you will most def need hardened Pushrods and valvesprings, whether they are BTR or another company. Just make sure you get the correct length.

2017 Chevrolet Camaro 1SS Auto
9.29 @144.57mph ALL MOTOR SBE

#TEAMGPI Gwatney Performance Innovation

bhillakaiceberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 08:40 PM   #11
CamaroDreams76
Tri-County Camaro SWFL

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS/1LE
Good luck talking to lethal racing. They went out of business YEARS ago.

When Lethal went out, BTR picked up the night fury. So BTR would be the one to call.
Old 06-10-2018, 11:48 PM   #12
WHAMMO

Drives: 13' 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhillakaiceberg View Post
LOL!! This thread is full of #FAIL!
If you dont know you need better than stock springs with and aftermarket cam, dont do it yourself. You clearly need to read a lot more on the subject. I dont suggest you to put better springs and pushrods, I command you to do it.

Old setup: TSP 231-236/Tick 660/.105 PR, UDP, SW LT 2'' & HFC, stock NPP & H pipe, VR-DRX CAI, air scoop, Goertz1 manifold, 102mm BBK, 26" Toyo DRs, Forgestars R17x10 & F18x8, rear seat delete, remote Pat G tune Autocal, 7400 limiter, Spec Mini Twin. 91oct. 11.90@122.3, 0-60ft 2.0 / 11.99@123.6, 0-60ft 2.1 DA+819 ...519RWHP SAE

Solid roller SBE LS3, FED, LLSR, 91oct, 605rwhp N/A. Tuned by Pat G. Build by me.
WHAMMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 11:34 AM   #13
jc615
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro and Sierra
He doesn't have to put them in...he just won't have a running car for long lol.

Also, I wouldn't worry about BTR cams. If it was that bad they wouldn't be selling them. Last time we heard about the bad batch of cams was a while ago
jc615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 11:59 AM   #14
Morgan.13

Drives: 2011 camaro 1ss
I just did my night fury cam install, I used the BTR platinum double springs with the titanium retainers, and 7.400 hardened pushrods(you should measure to make absolutely sure). You might want to consider a melling oil pump, and Katech c5-r timing chain. I personally replaced all my litters with new ones when I did mine(40,000 miles on them) for peace of mind. If you’re going to go through all the work might as well do it the right way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Morgan.13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camaro, night fury, opinions, push rods, valve springs