Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 02-02-2020, 08:02 PM   #1
cirpower

Drives: Camaro ZL1
Help, how to get oil dipstick back in when fitting headers

Hi all, fitting my Kooks 2 inch headers all went well, but now I am struggling to get the oil dipstick back in. Any help and tips are very welcome! cheers cirpower
cirpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 10:33 PM   #2
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
yep somebody under the car and the header should be loose, and no spark plug wire etc. If that sucker is not straight at the point of contact... then no go.. push all you like.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 10:32 AM   #3
parbreak

Drives: 2017 50th Camaro SS
We didn't have any problems with Kooks 1 7/8", but yes, headers loose and no wires.
50th Anniversary Edition |Borla Atak and 60606 mid pipes| Kooks 1 7/8" | ProCharger Stage II |305/45/17 DRs | Circle D 3500 stall | LT4 fueling | Custom made Lowside Aux Pump | Alky Control Meth | DSX E85
parbreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 01:52 PM   #4
cirpower

Thank you both for the replies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by parbreak View Post
We didn't have any problems with Kooks 1 7/8", but yes, headers loose and no wires.
Did you also put it in from underneath?

cheers
cirpower
Old 02-03-2020, 05:15 PM   #5
L78toLT1

Drives: Hyper Blue 2016 2SS 6M
It will go in from the top. I had a hell of a time when i installed my headers. The next time i removed it, I practiced with it by pulling it out of the hole, then reversing the motions and putting it back in. Seems like I had to rotate it clockwise while pushing down. I got really good at it!
2016 Hyper Blue 2SS/6m/MRC/NPP/Silver Rally stripes/ZL1 wheels & brakes/GForce DS and axles/ZLE Cradle Bushings/FE4 ARB front & rear/SEMA Grill/Rotofab dry/95mm TB/Magnuson 2300/Full LT4 fuel system/JMS boost-a-pump/E85 Sensor/Ported CID heads from LME/Cammotion PD cam/Thompson Motorsports forged shortblock/catted Kooks 1 7/8 headers /JRE remote tuned
L78toLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 05:16 PM   #6
oldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cirpower View Post
Thank you both for the replies!

Did you also put it in from underneath?

cheers
cirpower
you put it in through the top, but somebody guiding it underneath is helpful. it needs to twist as it snake down. As long as it is straight into the hole it slips in, but if it is cocked, the tube is sharp it just bite into the side and not go anywhere. So some wiggle, some twist and slides right in.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
Old 02-03-2020, 05:34 PM   #7
Lemmy Camaro
Theoren Hanks

Drives: 17 Camaro SS
I got mine in from the top. Headers loose and no plug wires. Took 25 minutes or so of poking and playing with it along with one person on top and one under the car. Just play around with it and it should go in no problem. Check your harness underneath your coolant tank too. Make sure that is pulled away from your header. Mine came loose from its zipties and burned. Not related, just a little PSA
Lemmy Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 06:10 PM   #8
oldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemmy Camaro View Post
I got mine in from the top. Headers loose and no plug wires. Took 25 minutes or so of poking and playing with it along with one person on top and one under the car. Just play around with it and it should go in no problem. Check your harness underneath your coolant tank too. Make sure that is pulled away from your header. Mine came loose from its zipties and burned. Not related, just a little PSA
Yep I bent a large diameter wire and made a hook, there is a hole in the frame rail about midway, so I snaked the wire in and then folded the wire over the harness and back toward the tire. I could not find my fir zip ties (push mount cable ties) or I would have just used them.,,,
Old 02-03-2020, 06:19 PM   #9
00Form

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Yeah, I just went through this with my 2" kooks. I loosed the headers, looked from the bottom to figure out where it needed to end up, looked at the orientation of the tube based on the mounting/retaining screw. I was able to get it to the area it needed to be. From the bottom I was able to get it into the hole.
00Form is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 10:15 PM   #10
cirpower

Update: Once the header was completely loose, I was able to get it in from the top. Loosened header completely to put dip stick in position, then mounted the header and gasket with one bolt. I might have been lucky, but once it was in position it went right in no problem. Thanks for all the help!
Old 02-11-2020, 01:52 PM   #11
Vrodviddy

Drives: 2018 Camaro ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by cirpower View Post
Hi all, fitting my Kooks 2 inch headers all went well, but now I am struggling to get the oil dipstick back in. Any help and tips are very welcome! cheers cirpower
I feel your pain.. Took me like 4 hours. lol. But she will go. loosen headers helps a bit.
Vrodviddy is offline   Reply With Quote