Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

AWE Tuning

Old 07-22-2023, 09:48 AM   #1
Whoomba

Drives: 2024Camaro 2SS CE Convertible
Do the run flat tires save you?

Morning all. When I got my 14 I sprung for the spare tire kit. If I read it right the 24 has no cubby for it so anyone have experiences with the run flats some of these come with, good or bad?
Whoomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2023, 10:14 AM   #2
GXP08jrf

Drives: 2016 1LT 'Vert
Avoid

I've said it before, and I'll say it again:

Run flats have terrible ride qualiy 100% of the time you're driving vs traditional construction. This saps driving enjoyment for every minute your backside is in the driver's seat.

In 30+ years of driving, I've only had to repair a flat at the side of the road twice. The inconvienience of degraded ride vs the inconvienience of changing a flat or investing in a roadside support plan for a tow is way out of balance with RFTs/RoFs.

I've never driven on a RFT/RoF that I liked, and when replaced with a triditional tire, my enjoyment factor went up substantially whether it was an SUV, DD or performance car. Non-RFTs were always better from a driving perspective and in all aspects exept the potential of a blowout.

For local or suburban/urban drives I'll rely on AAA if I get a flat. For longer trips I have a ModernSpare that I can throw in the trunk. If I'm in a situation where the wait for a tow or AAA is make-or-break, I'm sure that's an extremely bad day already...

Ask me how I really feel about RFTs, I'll say they're complete garbage, but opinions vary.
GXP08jrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2023, 12:08 PM   #3
The Maverick
Somewhere in the Kalahari

Drives: 2021/18 (de-fresh) 3LT RS
An alternative view: I have hours and hours in the driver's seats of two sixth gen RS's (totaling about 50K miles) where the runflats did not totally sap my driving enjoyment -- but the runflats are noticeably harsher when encountering some road features. On the flip side, the runflats have provided a great convenience on a number of occasions, allowing me to get straight on to a destination without any delay despite an unexpected flat or slow-leak condition.

If I manage to score a second set of wheels, I plan to give the Michelin Pilot Sport 4's (a non-runflat option frequently recommended in the forums) a try, or may give them a shot when the factory runflats on my 2021 are due for replacement.

Last edited by The Maverick; 07-22-2023 at 02:35 PM.
The Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2023, 01:40 PM   #4
Plasar

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Vert M6
Thumbs up

• I’m a lifetime run flatter since BMW standardized on them many years ago.
  • They ride like rocks.
  • They cost an arm and a leg.
  • They are worth every penny for the 5 times I’ve had a screw (slow leak) in my tire and the one time I got a bad slash in the sidewall - no drama, no stress, just drive under 50 MPH to get it repaired.

Post 2017 ZL1 vert RFTs (haters welcome)
Plasar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2023, 02:39 PM   #5
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
No particular feelings about tires, and I certainly don't own Goodyear or Michelin or any other tire company either, so let's ditch the "hater" verbiage. With that out of the way, run-flat tires are objectively crap by every ride quality metric, just as GXP08jrf described above.

People have different preferences. To some the peace of mind knowing that they can drive 50 or so miles with a slash or a screw in their RFT to the nearest tire place, no matter how unlikely, is worth the continuous, tangible sacrifice of ride quality, tire noise (oh yeah) and traction, a loss they sustain 100% of the time.

To others, all this is unacceptable, they would rather call a flatbed or their insurance company, or have someone bring a temporary spare to mount on the side of the road the 0.01% of the time this might happen. It's a personal call, and I'm in this second camp, still remembering the drive off the tire shop when the Goodyears were replaced with PS4S rubber and thinking oh my, what an upgrade, this is almost like a different car.

Plasar, if such mishaps already happened to you 6 times, you either live and drive in an area with badly maintained and debris filled roads, in which case runflats ride even worse, or you're very unfortunate (or both )

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18

Last edited by arpad_m; 07-23-2023 at 11:41 AM.
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2023, 05:52 PM   #6
BluinSC

Drives: BVM 1SS
Run flats are also terrible ( bordering unsafe) in the rain especially as they wear.

I personally made the switch to all seasons after the stock tires wore out.

If its just a summer car i think you'll be fine. But theres no reason to stick with them if its a daily.
BluinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2023, 09:26 PM   #7
Whoomba

Drives: 2024Camaro 2SS CE Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluinSC View Post
Run flats are also terrible ( bordering unsafe) in the rain especially as they wear.

I personally made the switch to all seasons after the stock tires wore out.

If its just a summer car i think you'll be fine. But theres no reason to stick with them if its a daily.
Except for the no spare thing.
Whoomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2023, 10:15 PM   #8
Mark114

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoomba View Post
Except for the no spare thing.
There are companies that sell a spare kit. Or you can create one yourself for less. It will take a lot of space in the trunk but it will fit.
Mark114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2023, 06:00 AM   #9
RollyM

Drives: 2023 Camaro 2SS
Personally can't stand run flats. Loud, hard, terrible in rain. They are the first things to go when I buy a car that comes with them.
Old 08-02-2023, 08:37 PM   #10
wintertopdown

Drives: 22 Convertible V8 LT1
Well anytime I “road to the tire shop” they never had the runflats in stock and also refused to plug the screw or nail, leaving me riding around leaking air.. Had to find some guys hustling willing to plug my Runflat tire.

My Windows Sticker: https://cws.gm.com/vs-cws/vehshop/v2...FE3D78N0129849
wintertopdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 09:26 PM   #11
Shock and Steel

Drives: 2023 Camaro Convertible 2LT
My 2023 2LT has run flats, and the ride is pretty rough. It’s my daily driver, and I’m pretty sure regular all-season tires would give a better ride. I don’t want to change the tires because I already have a hefty payment, and can’t just throw $1000-$1500 on a new set, when these tires are new.

I used to have a 2007 Corvette C6, and it had summer run-flats on them. At 14k miles the tires were pretty worn, and I upgraded to the GM big brake kit with Z06 wheels. I chose Nitto all-season tires, recommended by the Corvette shop I worked with. They were excellent. Granted the C6 had the Z51 handling package, but the ride definitely improved from run-flats to regular all-season tires.
Shock and Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2023, 04:47 PM   #12
dfwcowboy

Drives: 2024 ZL1 M6, 1969 Cessna Skylane
I had run flats for 4 years on my 2LT. I never ran anything else so I have nothing to compare, but had no issues with ride quality. For the one time I did get a flat the tire got me to the tire shop, but the ride was extremely squirrelly. I certainly wouldn’t want to go very far with it. Don’t think I’ll ever use them again.
dfwcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2023, 05:35 PM   #13
RamAir02
Shadow Gray '19 ZLE M6

Drives: '19 ZL1 1LE M6
Not a fan of runflats. I carry a $10 tire repair kit in all my cars (idk the individual tool names but the simple plugs, the t-handle cleanout tool and the t-handle plug tool) and have AAA roadside. With those two options, I feel well covered and no need to carry a spare.
PPF | Paint Correction | ZL1 Addons Rock Guards | ZL1 Addons Lift Pads | ZL1 Addons Feather Lite Tow Hook | JWM Smoked Sidemarkers | Wildhammer Smoked Rear Reflectors | JWM License Plate LEDs | RotoFab CAI | ADM IC Reservoir v2 | BC Forged RZ05 | SPL Toe Arms | BW Brake Deflectors | CMS Roll Bar | Schroth Profi II ASM Harnesses
Sold: '99 Trans Am (bolt-ons & cam) | '00 WS6 (bolt-ons, heads, cam, 12 bolt) | '05 CTS-V (bolt-ons, short throw) | '10 SS/RS M6 (short throw, CAI, coilovers, LTs, catback, JRE tune) | '01 WS6

YouTube
RamAir02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2023, 06:19 PM   #14
Chris Durant

Drives: 2023 Vivid Orange Camaro 1LT
Saved us big time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoomba View Post
Morning all. When I got my 14 I sprung for the spare tire kit. If I read it right the 24 has no cubby for it so anyone have experiences with the run flats some of these come with, good or bad?
I have a brand new 2023 1LT, has the Carbon Flash Wheel Tire Option which are the RunFlats.

After a grueling long day making the deal work with my son and our new pup along, we head home, halfway home from the dealership 11 miles or so, we get a warning that the right front tire is down to 20 PSI then in mere seconds to 0. Were going 65 on the hwy, I slow down, get over and get off 1st exit. No idea what happened or what to do, were both crazy tired and hungry, the pups getting tiree of being held, we call onstar, there nice but we get disconected 4 times, they tell us it will be hours until a tow can make it to us and safely town the 0 PSI front tire car to the dealer. Also it was 108 degree day, being stuck was not great.

We realize after a half hour we have run flats, back to dealer on the run flat, they replace it free and were on our way.

I do not know what happened, did we hit something on the hwy, did the run flat fail, what I do know is I was able to drive where I needed to and the issue was taken care of much faster than if it was a non run flat.

The car drives great, the noise is not noticable on descent roads, more so on crap roads, but overall, I think the run flats saved us a major hassle and possibly avoided an accident at 65mph as well.
Chris Durant is offline   Reply With Quote