Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 11-08-2017, 10:04 AM   #1
whiskeyfed
Pat

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT I4 Turbo A8
To V8 or not to V8

So, I'd like some serious opinions here.

I currently have my 1LT 2.0 on a lease for 3 years (until Oct 2019) and my plan was to buy it outright as soon as the lease was up. I leased because I had just gotten a new job, got lowballed salary wise, and wanted a Camaro. Recently, I have been having TM issues that has really thrown my love of driving this car out the window. I have been doing some thinking and I think I may want to stop modifying, give it back in 2019 and actually buy/finance a 1LE. I don't care about gas mileage. I mean I know you'll all likely say, it is your decision, do what you want, but I still value all of your opinions.

I would probably go for a used 2017-2018. The prices I have seen for used already for 2016 SS are around 35-40K. MSRP on my car was 29. It seems like a no brainer for that little money and I am already making double what I was when I first took this job in March of 2016. I already have 16k miles on my car with a 10k/year lease agreement that runs from Oct-Oct (whoops). So I would likely have to shell out a grand or two if I continue on this path, BUT, I can always park it and drive my durango to keep miles off if this is something I know I want to do.

1LE owners and SS owners... Are there any arguments or reasons you have why I should not get the V8/1LE and make the switch?

4 Bangers... Aside from gas mileage. Is there a reason I should stay with the 4?

What I have already done to the car...
Ceramic Coating - $500
Intake - $365 (sellable)
Strut Brace - $100 (sellable)
Catch Can System - $400 (maybe sellable)
Window Tints - $200
Headlight bulb replacements - $180 (sellable)
Rock Guards - $40 (negligible)
Spoiler - $100 (sellable)

If I stopped right now I would be in the hole for the ceramic coating, possibly the catch cans, the tints and the rock guards. Barring I can sell the other parts.

I cannot even touch 450hp with my car unless I go forged internals, turbo swap, and tune. Roughly about 2k for internals, 1.5k for turbo and 4-500 for a tune not to mention Intercooler, TB, etc....

I would like honest opinions from all of you.

Subscribe on YouTube Whiskeyfed Camaro

Follow my Build Thread The WhiskeyFed Camaro

Current Modifications: JacFab Boost-O-Lator, Injen Evolution CAI, ZZP Catless Downpipe, RPM 3" Charge Pipe, Mishimoto Oil Filtration/Coolant Systems, R1 Concepts Brakes Package, Eibach Pro-Kit Lowering Springs, PTP Lava Exhaust Wrap & Turbo Blanket

DYNO SHEET: 297whp / 374wtq
Tuned by #danytechtuning
whiskeyfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 10:08 AM   #2
Six.Two SC

Drives: 2018 Summit White Camaro 1SS
To be quite honest, unless you're a chick, SS/1LE/ZL1 or no Camaro!! This is MY opinion.
Six.Two SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 10:12 AM   #3
Megahurtz
Snackbar Tuning

Drives: 2023 SGM ZL1
Always V8. That's the only reason to own one IMO.
Megahurtz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 10:15 AM   #4
gpskinzhut

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Six.Two SC View Post
To be quite honest, unless you're a chick, SS/1LE/ZL1 or no Camaro!! This is MY opinion.
...Annnnnnnd it's a stupid one.

OP: If it's in your budget, go with the V8. Since you have no concerns for fuel economy there's really no reason not to. No regrets here.

2017 ZL1 A10
2017 2SS M6: (SOLD) || 2014 2LT Convertible: (SOLD) || 2010 2LT M6 Supercharged:(SOLD) || 1987 IROC-Z 5.0 M5: (SOLD)
gpskinzhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 10:15 AM   #5
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
This thread, like all the others, will degenerate into a chest thumping “you got to have a V-8 otherwise you’re not a man”… It’ll go 10 pages…

In your case you got a lot of money into The 4, if you can afford to jump, the next move would be a V8. It’s going to cost you a ton…
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 10:15 AM   #6
Bad Anvil Garage

Drives: 2000 GMPPSV SS & 2017 ILE SS
Would you buy a '69 Camaro with a four cylinder?
Bad Anvil Garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 10:17 AM   #7
Walt88

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
The way I look at it is, you clearly are interested in the V8 power. If you keep the 2.0, you will probably always yearn for the V8. The question you have to ask yourself, is if you get the V8, would you ever yearn for the 2.0?

Unless it puts you in the poor house (remember increased insurance costs as well) Get the V8.
Walt88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 10:17 AM   #8
miketan

Drives: 2018 HBM SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Six.Two SC View Post
Eh after driving my 2016 2SS my wife would not agree with your chick comment. When I did my lemon swap she made it a requirement to "Get the same engine and sound... or don't bother!"

OP Have you driven the V8? I drove both before getting mine and was sold on the LT1 the second I put the pedal down in the V8.
miketan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 10:18 AM   #9
whiskeyfed
Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpskinzhut View Post
...Annnnnnnd it's a stupid one.

OP: If it's in your budget, go with the V8. Since you have no concerns for fuel economy there's really no reason not to. No regrets here.
No opinion is stupid! I don't want to turn this into a battle like most of these threads have become. I have an I4 because I wanted a Camaro and i could afford the I4. The recent TM issue has really thrown me off so it would be a manual as well.

Current Modifications: JacFab Boost-O-Lator, Injen Evolution CAI, ZZP Catless Downpipe, RPM 3" Charge Pipe, Mishimoto Oil Filtration/Coolant Systems, R1 Concepts Brakes Package, Eibach Pro-Kit Lowering Springs, PTP Lava Exhaust Wrap & Turbo Blanket

Tuned by #danytechtuning
Old 11-08-2017, 10:18 AM   #10
mcintyre1969

Drives: 1968 SS/RS, 2006 H2 2016 2SS White
It seems everything MAY go electric in our lifetime, get you a bad a$$ dinosaur before they are gone!
Old 11-08-2017, 10:20 AM   #11
whiskeyfed
Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
This thread, like all the others, will degenerate into a chest thumping “you got to have a V-8 otherwise you’re not a man”… It’ll go 10 pages…

In your case you got a lot of money into The 4, if you can afford to jump, the next move would be a V8. It’s going to cost you a ton…
I am trying to avoid your first comment haha. What do you mean by costing me a ton? like insurance, etc?

Tuned by #danytechtuning
Old 11-08-2017, 10:20 AM   #12
whiskeyfed
Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketan View Post
Eh after driving my 2016 2SS my wife would not agree with your chick comment. When I did my lemon swap she made it a requirement to "Get the same engine and sound... or don't bother!"

OP Have you driven the V8? I drove both before getting mine and was sold on the LT1 the second I put the pedal down in the V8.
I did not drive the SS because it was well out of my price range. I have yet to drive one.

Tuned by #danytechtuning
Old 11-08-2017, 10:21 AM   #13
whiskeyfed
Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt88 View Post
The way I look at it is, you clearly are interested in the V8 power. If you keep the 2.0, you will probably always yearn for the V8. The question you have to ask yourself, is if you get the V8, would you ever yearn for the 2.0?

Unless it puts you in the poor house (remember increased insurance costs as well) Get the V8.
I don't imagine I would yearn back for the 2.0 if I had a V8. Although I love my turbo and it moves for a 4 banger. But you are right in saying that I will always want more.

Tuned by #danytechtuning
Old 11-08-2017, 10:23 AM   #14
whiskeyfed
Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcintyre1969 View Post
It seems everything MAY go electric in our lifetime, get you a bad a$$ dinosaur before they are gone!
Sorry I don't know how to do that multilevel quote thing. The only electric I would get would be the tesla P85 or 100d.

Tuned by #danytechtuning