Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-18-2023, 08:04 AM   #1
JKOR

Drives: 2023 1SS 6 speed
Do people buy used tires?

My 1SS has summer only tires. There is probably 2 months at best here in Oregon before temps start dropping below 45deg so, it seems I need to swap out these tires for all seasons at least.
Would anyone consider buying tires that were previously mounted?
JKOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2023, 08:41 AM   #2
Chris Durant

Drives: 2023 Vivid Orange Camaro 1LT
If the miles on them are low and they look almost new, they will sell, I have on my last 3 vehicles upgraded my tires usually under 1500 miles and sold every take off set easily on ebay local and Facebook Marketplace.
Chris Durant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2023, 08:41 AM   #3
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
Some people do buy used tires but Ive found its quite hard to do. Everyone wants you to ship them and I'm not eating that cost, it aint' cheap. Locally is your best probably only option. And then it's kind of pennies on the dollar, too.

I sold a winter tire set and the guy paid, sent me a UPS label(s) and had them picked up. Worked like a charm IMO.
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2023, 08:56 AM   #4
atx_traveler

Drives: blue velvet
I had mine listed on ebay and someone local purchased them. Drove them over and got paid.
atx_traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2023, 09:09 AM   #5
JKOR

Drives: 2023 1SS 6 speed
this is one reason why I wanted a LT1. it came with all season tires.
JKOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2023, 09:18 AM   #6
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Selling summer tires in Oregon... may be tough to sell for local pickup. Shipping is costly for heavy items and the market for summer tires is likely to be distant (which adds cost).
I would suggest looking on ebay for a set of extra wheels. Then you can get a few years out of the summer tires. yes, there are storage issues, and, yes, it's a pain to swap them. To me it just sounds better than sending $800 worth of summer tires to the dump.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2023, 08:28 AM   #7
Msquared

Drives: Chevrolet SS 1LE
You may not need all-seasons in Oregon. It depends on your exact climate, but in general if the temps don't get way below zero a lot and you don't drive in snow/ice, you can keep using summer tires. I believe the coastal parts of Oregon fit that description. Now, the flipside is that my impression is that some of Oregon is also frequently wet (probably the northern part near WA?). In that case, I'd want a great rain tire. The best two rain tires you can buy for street use are both summer tires: the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S and the Continental ExtremeContact Sport 02. They are both better in rain than any all-season tire.
Old 08-19-2023, 08:46 AM   #8
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msquared View Post
if the temps don't get way below zero a lot and you don't drive in snow/ice, you can keep using summer tires.
I live in coastal south jersey, and our winters are pretty mild. I did enough slipping and sliding on summer tires with temps in the 20's for me to be scared. Yes, they do improve once you get some heat into them. But I prefer to have reliable grip all the time.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2023, 11:01 AM   #9
brokedad

Drives: 2017 Camaro ss
I sell mine quite often. I usually run them for the summer and sell them fairly cheap on market place. I just sold some Hoosier drag radials that way. The last set had half tread left and dumped them for $100 for the pair. It beats them taking up space in my garage plus my wife gets half for doing all the posting and questions, I just meet them for the pick up.
brokedad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2023, 12:36 PM   #10
Msquared

Drives: Chevrolet SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlz View Post
I live in coastal south jersey, and our winters are pretty mild. I did enough slipping and sliding on summer tires with temps in the 20's for me to be scared. Yes, they do improve once you get some heat into them. But I prefer to have reliable grip all the time.
It all depends on what model of summer tire you're talking about. The PS4S and ECS tires I mentioned before won't do that. They are used frequently for autocross and track events as rain/cold tires for that very reason. OTOH, the stock SS 1LE Goodyears, for example, will definitely not have good grip in cold/wet conditions.
Old 08-20-2023, 07:04 PM   #11
lt4camaro

Drives: 2021 LT1 10 speed auto
Yes, people buy used tires.
lt4camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2023, 07:12 PM   #12
Iconic
Miller Time Wisconsin

Drives: '24 VOM 1SS 1LE M6. 1 of 4
In an effort to test the validity of this, I have some Goodyear supercar tires for sale that I'm taking off as soon as my 1SS 1LE arrives.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=618798