Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 09-22-2020, 12:46 PM   #15
jamala00

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Hyper Blue Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaimer View Post
I can't pull the trigger on deciding on running the Camaro through winter, or picking up a beater vehicle. I went the beater route in the past. I would run the sports coupe unless the roads were bad, then I would take the beater. I would love to be able to leave the Camaro parked in the garage during the times of snow, but I'm not sure if I want to dive back into the beater world either . It is going to be a hassle with being in the way parked in the driveway, extra insurance, extra registration, and possibly extra repair costs.

The other thing is I will probably only have the Camaro for the next 2-3 years. I never hang on to vehicles much longer..so the salt isn't a huge concern but I still don't want chips, pitting, etc. I would likely buy a dedicated set of winter rims/tires if I ran the Camaro through the winter.
I live in WI too and there is no way in the world I'd ever consider driving my Camaro in the Winter. If for no other reason than the salt. To me this is just the price you pay for wanting a car like this living in the snow belt. I rent a storage unit and in the good months my Tahoe is in storage and in the winter months my Camaro will be in storage.

I wish I had another garage stall at home, but I don't. If I was OK with leaving a vehicle outside all day I'd just leave the Camaro outside and Tahoe inside during the good months and the Camaro inside and Tahoe outside during winter, but I'm not OK with letting the sun beat on any vehicle all year round.

Oh by the way, my Tahoe is not a beater so that plays into my decision too. It was purchased new in '18
jamala00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 01:14 PM   #16
z28pat

Drives: 2002 z28, 2018 2ss 1LE
I vote beater
z28pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 04:59 PM   #17
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
I live in Massachusetts, land of road salt.

When I bought my Camaro in 2010, I already had my winter car.

The Camaro hibernates for 6 months and the chassis and exhaust still look new. Other cold temp casualties like hoses, belts, and bulbs also are all original.

If you can afford a winter car, do it!
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 05:55 PM   #18
wwiiavfan

Drives: 2017 1SS Hyper Blue
Your Camaro can’t accidentally slide into the ditch or get creamed by another vehicle if it’s in storage.
wwiiavfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 06:59 PM   #19
RWT

Drives: 2020 Camaro RS
Beater! When I lived in Michigan if I had a sports car, I had a beater. It just relieves all the stress. Even now that I live in the sun belt, I drive a Colorado most days and the Camaro on sunny days.

2020 Camaro RS, V6, 6MT, Satin Steel
2020 Silverado, 5.3L CC, RST, Z71, Shadow Gray
2019 Equinox LS, 1.5L Turbo, Nightfall Gray Metallic
RWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 07:23 PM   #20
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
beater.
Old 09-22-2020, 08:13 PM   #21
Silent_H_

Drives: '21 V6 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR623 View Post
I drive my SS all season (Extreme contact DWS06 tires) in the harsh midwest winter no problems. I'd rather enjoy my car than drive a beater all winter. Just my .02 cents
Sounds like you're in the minority but I'm with you on this. To me, the point of a fun car is to drive it. I'm in the midwest and I got winter wheels/tires to use during those months. I know salt/sand is bad, but modern cars do a lot better than they did 20 years ago with this stuff.

For a while I thought a beater would be great for days when it might hail or something, but then I realized even having to pay insurance deductibles would be way cheaper than buying/insuring/maintaining a beater.

To each their own though! If I could afford it I'd totally have a Wrangler as a 3rd car.
Silent_H_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 08:35 PM   #22
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Drives: '21 Wild Cherry ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamala00 View Post
I live in WI too and there is no way in the world I'd ever consider driving my Camaro in the Winter. If for no other reason than the salt. To me this is just the price you pay for wanting a car like this living in the snow belt. I rent a storage unit and in the good months my Tahoe is in storage and in the winter months my Camaro will be in storage.

I wish I had another garage stall at home, but I don't. If I was OK with leaving a vehicle outside all day I'd just leave the Camaro outside and Tahoe inside during the good months and the Camaro inside and Tahoe outside during winter, but I'm not OK with letting the sun beat on any vehicle all year round.

Oh by the way, my Tahoe is not a beater so that plays into my decision too. It was purchased new in '18
Starting & driving a car at -40-50 is so hard on them. Plus you have ice, scraping, brushing, etc that wreaks havoc on the exterior.

Resale would be my endgame thought. When you can say “Never seen snow” up here it means a lot more than just being cold. It means you took damn good care of it & the new owner will respect that & pay more for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent_H_ View Post
Sounds like you're in the minority but I'm with you on this. To me, the point of a fun car is to drive it. I'm in the midwest and I got winter wheels/tires to use during those months. I know salt/sand is bad, but modern cars do a lot better than they did 20 years ago with this stuff.

For a while I thought a beater would be great for days when it might hail or something, but then I realized even having to pay insurance deductibles would be way cheaper than buying/insuring/maintaining a beater.

To each their own though! If I could afford it I'd totally have a Wrangler as a 3rd car.
You can use your Miata as a beater, I would, but then again, you’re only getting a V6 (1LE or not) is a Notch or two above a V6 Camry. No offense.

Hell, I’ve had full on ass pucker moments in a 80’s 626. In one instance I’m sure the Tahoe that was behind me thought I was toast when I did a 180 & was facing him when I hit a icy spot. Then again he was probably like WTF! when I down shifted to 2nd as I cranked the wheel to bring the FWD wheels into the skid & floored it, spun around, grabbed 3rd & got it under control.

OP, find a cheap, yet well maintained, early 90’s TSI. Those got me through many WI winters. Their AWD is awesome, they are sporty & fun with not bad mileage.

Last edited by gtfoxy; 09-22-2020 at 08:45 PM.
gtfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 08:41 PM   #23
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwiiavfan View Post
Your Camaro can’t accidentally slide into the ditch or get creamed by another vehicle if it’s in storage.
This exactly! Never mind about the Camaro being able to handle the snow, it can. Never mind about you being able to handle the snow, you can. But as for the rest of the idiots that only "think" they can handle the snow...well, they can't and your Camaro might pay the price for that.

Get a beater, if you're worried about cost, just think of all the car wash money and time you will save!
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 08:50 PM   #24
Homer2

Drives: 50th Anni.. coming home 11/01
Lol.. just winter drive it.. they aren't hand built custom cars. Great winter cars actually - well balanced, nannies when u need/want them, turn them off for more fun/control when desired.

Heated steering wheel and seats - winter isnt tough.

Just switched from X-Ice to Alpin PA5s.. looking forward to trying them out.
Built Sept 16/2016 - #2681 of 5955. She came home with me 11/01/16. 50th Anni, 2SS, A8, NPP, NGM Rock Guards, Footwell Lighting, Black Bow Ties, Street Warrior Rotors and Pads, Ceramic Pro, 3M PPF, Oracle Ghosted Side Markers, Kooks 2" headers w/hi flow cats. GPI Stage 1 Cam installed at 305,000 kms.
Homer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 11:56 PM   #25
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer2 View Post
Great winter cars actually
This is idiotic.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 12:44 AM   #26
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Drives: '21 Wild Cherry ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
This is idiotic.
Big city drivers often live under the delusion all roads get plowed as it snows like in the cities.

Up here in rural areas many roads don’t get plowed for days, even over a week, after a big snow storm. Sure the main highways get kinda cleared, but back roads where most people live are down right treacherous. They can have glare ice under several inches of snow. Just taking my kids to school in our AWD Highlander is a chore some times.

One miscalculation & your in the ditch, or worse. Last year like 4 people died in my area because they went off the road & either got trapped in their cars or died of hypothermia trying to get help after setting off on foot.
gtfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 12:48 AM   #27
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
camaros are bad enough in the rain. i would uber somewhere before i drove my car in the snow. 4wd beaters serve so many purposes.
Old 09-23-2020, 06:36 AM   #28
JT58

Drives: Former 2016 Camaro 1LT
The only way I would drive it in the salt belt is with snow tires and cheap wheels. And I would plan on washing it a lot at a hand car wash so you can flush the undercarriage often as possible.

I lived in both Massachusetts and MN had nice vehicles. I literally rinsed the salt off and cleaned the undercarriage after every storm and when the roads were wet and/or salted. It was very difficult- I had special rain pants and rain coat I took with me. I also had a hot water faucet in my garage so I could rinse the salt off at home all winter long. My cars and trucks always looked show room and never had any rust anywhere- even on the under carriage. In the spring or summer I would go under the car and sand and touch up any surface rust on the steel suspension components.

I am anal about it but it worked for me. At least you get to drive your nice car in the winter. If not, get a beater.