Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

AWE Tuning

Old 05-11-2018, 08:44 PM   #1
Korosion

Drives: 2016 2SS
First Track Day

Hello I have a 2016 camaro 2SS that has about 15k miles and they have all been very light miles.

Tomorrow morning I am doing a Hooked On Driving event at PBIR and I am wondering if keep everything stock will be okay ie. brake fluid, diff fluid, coolant, brake pads, etc.

There are 4 sessions of about 20 minutes each. I will be driving the car light to moderate. Will I be okay and not damage anything?
Korosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 09:37 PM   #2
hzycamaro

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
I think if it's your first time and you don't track regularly, you should be fine with everything stock. I'm also new to track driving and I had 4 track days. My experience is on your first track day, you won't be anywhere near the limit of your car. And you should be easy and don't push your car before you know how to properly drive on track. That's my personal opinion
hzycamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 09:40 AM   #3
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Probably too late now, but you might want to let your instructor know that everything is still OE.

Norm
Old 05-14-2018, 09:34 AM   #4
whiteboyblues2001

Drives: 1SS, A8, MRC, NPP, Blade Spoiler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Korosion View Post
Hello I have a 2016 camaro 2SS that has about 15k miles and they have all been very light miles.

Tomorrow morning I am doing a Hooked On Driving event at PBIR and I am wondering if keep everything stock will be okay ie. brake fluid, diff fluid, coolant, brake pads, etc.

There are 4 sessions of about 20 minutes each. I will be driving the car light to moderate. Will I be okay and not damage anything?
Sorry I didn't see this earlier, but stock should be fine as long as you followed the directions in the owner's manual. For HPDE's the manual wants you to change to 0W40 or 5W40 oil, change over to the track brake deflector and sheilds, and if you have the automatic trans, get the fluid level set to the track level.

How did it go? Even if you didn't do the things listed above, you should probably been just fine. These cars are pretty well set up for the track stock. In addition to the guidance in the manual, I changed over to DOT4 brake fluid too.
whiteboyblues2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 12:47 PM   #5
Korosion

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyblues2001 View Post
Sorry I didn't see this earlier, but stock should be fine as long as you followed the directions in the owner's manual. For HPDE's the manual wants you to change to 0W40 or 5W40 oil, change over to the track brake deflector and sheilds, and if you have the automatic trans, get the fluid level set to the track level.

How did it go? Even if you didn't do the things listed above, you should probably been just fine. These cars are pretty well set up for the track stock. In addition to the guidance in the manual, I changed over to DOT4 brake fluid too.
It went great!! I was actually running pretty hard and I had zero issues, my temps were normal for track and had zero brake fade, I was very happy at the end of the day. Today I am actually getting my engine oil and diff fluid changed out.
Old 05-17-2018, 12:49 PM   #6
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:

Change the brake fluid to DOT 4 536º boiling point or higher. Otherwise, don't push too hard in braking zones, to prevent losing braking due to boiling your fluid.

If your brake pedal starts to feel a bit squishy towards the end of a lap, immediately back off, and find your way back into the pits to cool off.
Old 05-17-2018, 12:56 PM   #7
Korosion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
Change the brake fluid to DOT 4 536º boiling point or higher. Otherwise, don't push too hard in braking zones, to prevent losing braking due to boiling your fluid.

If your brake pedal starts to feel a bit squishy towards the end of a lap, immediately back off, and find your way back into the pits to cool off.
Yeah I am going to change to DOT4 whenever I track it next which probably won't be for awhile.

Side Note: I bought the car as a certified pre-owned, do you think it is possible the person before me changed it to DOT4? Because as mentioned I was kinda surprised I had zero brake fade under heavy braking throughout the whole entire day. For GM to qualify a car to be a certified pre-owned do they check or even flush the brake fluid?
Old 05-17-2018, 01:19 PM   #8
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Yeah I am going to change to DOT4 whenever I track it next which probably won't be for awhile.

Side Note: I bought the car as a certified pre-owned, do you think it is possible the person before me changed it to DOT4? Because as mentioned I was kinda surprised I had zero brake fade under heavy braking throughout the whole entire day. For GM to qualify a car to be a certified pre-owned do they check or even flush the brake fluid?
They check the level. But DOT4 is not factory required...in my area, most dealers won't even put it in for me at my cost.

I didn't realize the date on this thread!

There was an instructor at the last Camaro Fest who tailed me around NCM road course without losing me in a stock 1SS...no fluid, no special pads, no hp mods...it was a rental.

His skill was such that he was able to keep up with me, and very nearly pass me in about half a lap.

At that moment where he could have passed me - he boiled his brakes.

So the SS is pretty damn good in stock form, especially in the hands of a driver like that.
Old 05-17-2018, 02:10 PM   #9
Lafourche1

Drives: 2019 CLA 450 Mercedes
Quote:

I am going to offer that you should change the fluid to DOT4, very soon. After each track session, you should bleed the brakes a bit. In your case the bleeding is even more needed (stock fluid probably has some bubbles and such). If you are going to go through the work / costs of bleeding, I would suggest going ahead and changing the fluid. I run Motul RBF 600. I ran it in my SS daily and track use. I am now running it in my ZL1 (1st track day Saturday).
Lafourche1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 02:11 PM   #10
Lafourche1

Drives: 2019 CLA 450 Mercedes
Quote:
They check the level. But DOT4 is not factory required...in my area, most dealers won't even put it in for me at my cost.

There was an instructor at the last Camaro Fest who tailed me around NCM road course without losing me in a stock 1SS...no fluid, no special pads, no hp mods...it was a rental.

His skill was such that he was able to keep up with me, and very nearly pass me in about half a lap.

So the SS is pretty damn good in stock form, especially in the hands of a driver like that.
Its the guys on bicycles looking for a point by that always get my goat. Hey someone has to be the slowest driver out there.
Lafourche1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 02:13 PM   #11
Korosion

Quote:

Yeah my dealership is super chill, I will be able to have them put my fluid in at their labor costs. My last Camaro it was a V6 RS and I had a tune, headers, intake, intake manifold, throttle body, intake manifold spacers and suspension work and I blew my motor at 45k miles and they replaced the motor under full warranty. And wow that driver must have been pretty impressive.
Old 05-17-2018, 02:59 PM   #12
Provoste

Drives: E46 S54 race car, 964C2
Quote:

Hmmm, do you remember which instructor? I don't recall any instructors in rental SS's... I split time between the blue and white NCM owned turbo 4 Camaro's- they're a lot of fun on track, though you need to be 1 gear higher than you'd ever think due to the 8AT and low reving high torque 4 turbo 4's. Looking forward to Camarofest this year!
Provoste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 03:39 PM   #13
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafourche1 View Post
Its the guys on bicycles looking for a point by that always get my goat. Hey someone has to be the slowest driver out there.

Quote:
Yeah my dealership is super chill, I will be able to have them put my fluid in at their labor costs. My last Camaro it was a V6 RS and I had a tune, headers, intake, intake manifold, throttle body, intake manifold spacers and suspension work and I blew my motor at 45k miles and they replaced the motor under full warranty. And wow that driver must have been pretty impressive.
You’re extremely lucky. I wouldn’t post that in too many places....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Provoste View Post
Hmmm, do you remember which instructor? I don't recall any instructors in rental SS's... I split time between the blue and white NCM owned turbo 4 Camaro's- they're a lot of fun on track, though you need to be 1 gear higher than you'd ever think due to the 8AT and low reving high torque 4 turbo 4's. Looking forward to Camarofest this year!
I don’t. I remember he was a younger guy. The SS was black. He might not have officially been an instructor now that I think about it. But he could drive!!

Those were awesome little cars. I’m real eager to see what the turbo 1LE can do on track!!
Old 05-17-2018, 04:21 PM   #14
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
Quote:

You’re extremely lucky. I wouldn’t post that in too many places....

haha i blew up my fuse box and pcm in my old cobalt ss tuning it and the dealership replaced it at no cost also just told them car wouldnt start lol whoopsie