Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Transmissions

AWE Tuning

Old 03-27-2018, 08:42 PM   #421
Gray50
Intentionally left blank.

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS Fifty
I dropped the car off last Wednesday. Today, their transmission guy finally looked at it, agreed that it's still shuddering, they got approval from GM to replace the TC, and I should get it back tomorrow or Thursday.

Hopefully, she's all fixed up!
Old 03-30-2018, 08:29 PM   #422
Gray50
Intentionally left blank.

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS Fifty
I got my Camaro back yesterday at lunchtime. They replaced the torque converter and updated the TCM tune. So far, no shudder. The transmission is relearning how I drive, so there have been a few odd shifts here and there. But, that was to be expected.
Old 04-17-2018, 06:02 AM   #423
crosive

Drives: 18 zl1
well, after about 2k, my shudder is back. It's not behaving like it was before however. Before it was worse in V4, but a slower vibration. Now it doesn't seem to change regardless of mode.

Also, I can't duplicate it at city speeds, at all (before, I could easily at 45 mph). It only shows up at freeway speeds (60+), and only after a good 10 minutes of driving (I'm assuming to get the fluid warmer).

It's gotten progressively worse over the past week or so. I'm gonna let it get worse before taking it in, because they had a hard time feeling it last time, and I had to take time off work to go show them.
crosive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 02:47 PM   #424
PersonX51

Drives: 2017 SS
Did you ever consider that the shudder may not be the transmission at all?
There are allot of thing that can cause a shudder... out of balance tire , bent rim, separated tire, drive line out of balance/bent, warped brake rotor, broken flex plate, etc.
Check everything.. a lot of mechanics anymore are not capable of diagnosing a problem if the computer diagnostics doesn't tell them what to change/look for... anymore they are just "parts replacers"
Always remember to check the simple things off the list first ...
PersonX51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 02:57 PM   #425
crosive

Quote:
Originally Posted by PersonX51 View Post
Did you ever consider that the shudder may not be the transmission at all?
There are allot of thing that can cause a shudder... out of balance tire , bent rim, separated tire, drive line out of balance/bent, warped brake rotor, broken flex plate, etc.
Check everything.. a lot of mechanics anymore are not capable of diagnosing a problem if the computer diagnostics doesn't tell them what to change/look for... anymore they are just "parts replacers"
Always remember to check the simple things off the list first ...

not speed dependant only. not rpm dependant only. only happens in later gears, under load, at speed. I've only noticed it around 1500 rpm in the latter gears (I've not tried whatever speed 6th @ 1500 happens to be).

I've ruled out tires or brakes. I've ruled out the rear end. Well I say I have. I do have the rear end groan on cold days for the first few turns. I had the fluid changed @ 1500 miles. if it were the rear end, it would have to be spinning at or around freeway speeds, under load, and under load only. I'm not saying that's not possible, but if that were the case then it wouldn't matter what gear I'm in to replicate the issue.

I don't claim to know 100% about these cars, but I've spent my time as a mechanic, and my time around wrenching on my own vehicles, so I've ruled out what I can.
Old 04-18-2018, 08:23 PM   #426
Kenshinx23

Drives: 2016 2ss
I feel like I have sometimes have this issue, but can't recreate it. The car does shake very now and then around 65 mph but most of the time doesn't. Should i just keep driving and hoping it gets worse? I do not drive the car much so my warranty may expire before it gets worse.

Anyone know the costs of getting a new TC + tune for the transmission out of pocket?
Kenshinx23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 03:02 PM   #427
Gunmetalmissle

Drives: 16 ngm ss
The most consistent way I found to recreate it is the following:

Car is fully warmed up (driving for at least a half hour)
Highway speed
Slight incline
Change over from v8 to v4
Very light throttle to maintain speed on incline

Early on will still not happen every time but will eventually get worse and more common.
Gunmetalmissle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 03:16 PM   #428
awrj2000

Drives: 2016 2SS Camaro
When mine was giving me issues I turn on cruse control hoping for a smoother ride.

It is the lightest input you can have on flat ground and the shaking/vibration (rumble strips) was very evident and consistent.

From 11,000 to 23,000(ish) miles the car shook with dealer "not able to replicate"

I ended up filtering the fluid with a 10 micron filter, drained all the fluid, changed the transmission filter, changed all 12 qts of fluid to Amsoil and the problem went away.

The shifts are a little firmer now...some people claim a transmission update, but I really think they see just the new fluid working properly.

Edit:
Test run after changing fluid showed track mode will drive fluid temp to 230* within 5-7 starts. I did a big (5-7miles) loop with a few stop signs for road crossings. Winding out 1-2-3, then backing down on 4th.

Normal tour mode runs temp around 100* or far left of indication.

The shaking is this factory fluid breaking down at high temp, then problems during normal driving.
The more you spirit drive your car the sooner the issue becomes present.
Get some good high quality Transmission fluid that can handle the heat!

Last edited by awrj2000; 04-19-2018 at 03:22 PM. Reason: Added information
awrj2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 10:01 PM   #429
TH red SS

Drives: 2017 Red Camaro SS
Thumbs up

I had my transmission in today for the vibration. The service manager was a huge help because at first, the tech couldn't duplicate the issue but the SM had him go back out again with a scope and sure enough, he found the issue. The SM told me that GM changed the service bulletin to just doing a single flush before doing the triple. I haven't been able to see if it's helped yet but time will tell. Here is the paperwork the dealer gave me.
Attached Images

TH red SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 10:33 AM   #430
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
We got our answer in Ask Al. I'm satisfied that they identified the cause as the friction modifier and that it was solved on car built after March 2017.

I had the triple flush and TC replaced in September 2017 and have put ~4,500 miles on it since. Still works great so I'm hopeful that it is a permanent fix.

I was disappointed the threads were closed. I would have like to thank Al for stepping up and answering the question.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -

Last edited by hotlap; 04-25-2018 at 10:43 AM.
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 10:40 AM   #431
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
It definitely matches up with what I have seen and experienced. Apparently no 2018s have had the issue confirmed either. So that matches the 3/17 build dates. Glad we have official statement that the cause was fluid not up to spec.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 05:58 AM   #432
crosive

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSound View Post
It definitely matches up with what I have seen and experienced. Apparently no 2018s have had the issue confirmed either. So that matches the 3/17 build dates. Glad we have official statement that the cause was fluid not up to spec.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
I'm not entirely convinced this was the issue. My car was made in 5/17 and exhibited the issue at around 10000 miles, with no tracking, not even a burnout on it.

they did the triple flush, and after about 150 miles the issue seemingly went away. now *something* is happening. It's not the same vibration as before, and it's hard to duplicate, but once it starts, it's definitely noticeable, even more so over the previous.

I've tried to rule out everything I can, and check everything I can without cracking stuff open. I'm calling the dealer this morning as I think it's gotten bad enough that they can't tell me "I'm sorry we don't feel it" excuse.

I'm not exactly sure what it is, other than blaming the same issue, since I have, in fact, had it already.
Old 04-26-2018, 08:57 PM   #433
Blackacidmaro

Drives: 16 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post
We got our answer in Ask Al. I'm satisfied that they identified the cause as the friction modifier and that it was solved on car built after March 2017.

I had the triple flush and TC replaced in September 2017 and have put ~4,500 miles on it since. Still works great so I'm hopeful that it is a permanent fix.

I was disappointed the threads were closed. I would have like to thank Al for stepping up and answering the question.
They replaced my TC at 12k miles. It was fine till 26k miles when it came back in full force.
Blackacidmaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 07:41 AM   #434
indyz

Drives: 2SS, CT-R, LC500
I just bought an auto 2ss. Met another 2ss owner who has the dreaded shudder on his A8 (built June 2016). This guy babies his car from what I've seen of him, over the past year. We drove his car on a highway for more than a 100 miles. Every time we had even a slight incline, the shudder happened. We were between 60 and 80 for a long stretch. We could tell when the car was on an incline, it would shudder. The rpm would be (an example) around 1900-2000, incline, rpm needs to go up to maintain speed in cruise control, bam, shudder.

He has 11000 miles on his car, seems he has had the shudder for a bit, the dealers around here haven't been too helpful.
I am worried about mine 7k miles, also built in June 2016. I've driven a few hundred miles, haven't seen it yet, I think.

We have 5 yrs 60,000 miles to keep getting this fixed, right?
indyz is offline   Reply With Quote