Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Transmissions

Phastek Performance

Old 09-26-2023, 08:47 PM   #1
JKOR

Drives: 2023 1SS 6 speed
I really dislike the Manual shift feel

Rubbery and imprecise would be my description. Twice already I ground second. You think its in gear but, its not. I mean, It was a lazy shift but, It's so easy to mess up a shift with this shifter.
I recall the shifter on my old 95 to be far superior.. in fact.. I think my 1978 rabbit had a better shifter.
JKOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2023, 09:01 PM   #2
RamAir02
Shadow Gray '19 ZLE M6

Drives: '19 ZL1 1LE M6
I'm surprised -- I have the opposite feedback. I love the stock shifter. I've done short shifters on all my previous vehicles, but have not felt the need to on the 6th gen.

There is a Hurst short throw shifter for 6th gens that may interest you. It's a PITA install, much more involved than on a T56. There really aren't many (any?) other options, probably due to the need to drop the exhaust, driveshaft and lower the trans.
PPF | Paint Correction | ZL1 Addons Rock Guards | ZL1 Addons Lift Pads | ZL1 Addons Feather Lite Tow Hook | JWM Smoked Sidemarkers | Wildhammer Smoked Rear Reflectors | JWM License Plate LEDs | RotoFab CAI | ADM IC Reservoir v2 | BC Forged RZ05 | SPL Toe Arms | BW Brake Deflectors | CMS Roll Bar | Schroth Profi II ASM Harnesses
Sold: '99 Trans Am (bolt-ons & cam) | '00 WS6 (bolt-ons, heads, cam, 12 bolt) | '05 CTS-V (bolt-ons, short throw) | '10 SS/RS M6 (short throw, CAI, coilovers, LTs, catback, JRE tune) | '01 WS6

YouTube
RamAir02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2023, 09:14 PM   #3
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
Which transmission.. tremec tr6060? You can no lift shift that all day long.

Want shitty transmission experience.. try the current 86 twins.. feels like stick inside cans rusty bolts. Notchy af, rarely smooth, even pulling out of 1st take considerable effort and whole thing feels like its supported on rubber bands.

I did have the fluid in my tr6060 changed at about first oil change. Been good to me ever since.

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2023, 03:22 PM   #4
JKOR

Drives: 2023 1SS 6 speed
I just never had this problem. Not much is more embarrassing than not moving while your syncros grind. Twice already. I have to make a mental note to put more force on the shifter and know it's fully at its stop.
JKOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2023, 03:32 PM   #5
Iconic
Miller Time Wisconsin

Drives: '24 VOM 1SS 1LE M6. 1 of 4
I love the feel of rowing my M6. That is fortunate since I don't know how to drive automatik.
Old 09-27-2023, 04:41 PM   #6
Standard

Drives: 2023 Sharkskin ZL1 M6
I just got home - today - with the Hurst (using the stock knob) installed at the shop, I love it.

Your 95 had the shifter bolted onto the top of the transmission - very different geometry. Even the Gen5 was mounted differently to the Gen6, the mechanism suspended between the body and the car. The Gen 6 is. . . well some confusing thing I'd never take on my self.

If your grinding was due to mechanical problem with the transmission, that would remain. If the vagueness and long throw is the cause, maybe look into the hurst.
Standard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2023, 05:16 PM   #7
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
never had any issues...
Old 09-27-2023, 07:44 PM   #8
CTRifecta

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Very odd. Are you sure you're keeping the clutch depressed enough?
Vehicle Built (per chevy chat bot) - 10/10/23
Window sticker available online - 11/4/23
Arrived at dealership - 11/10/23
CTRifecta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2023, 07:49 PM   #9
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
Judging by how i see some people sit.. amazed they can press the clutch at all.

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2023, 08:19 AM   #10
SSEssence
Instagram: Sangstah

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1LE
Interesting, love the feel of the shifter, nice and notchy!

Follow the build https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=612717
SSEssence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2023, 10:00 AM   #11
Standard

"Twice already I ground second."

If looking for solutions, you need to qualify this to one of these cases (or something else).

1. That (from the complaint) the feel caused error, i.e. clutch fully in, pulled only partially into gear (then lifted clutch, which would make it grind and kick it out) - i.e. only grinds *after* clutch pedal is lifted.
2. Clutch fully in, did a 1-2 Shift, AND there was grinding *while* the stick was moving *with* the clutch in.

If you have ( 1 ) you will inevitably learn your way around with the stock shifter. As a means for making this easier, instead of grabbing over the top, do things like 1->2 by grabbing at the front and pulling back, possibly even shifting part of your grip down off the knob into the cloth (which effectively shortens but also mitigates part of the stick).

If you're getting case ( 2 ) - which I've had a lifetime ago on a car of significant mileage and thrashing, there can be a period of 'denial' where you think it may be from something the operator did; but has to do with synchros/blocker rings, or other matters inside the transmission that need fixing. You can suppress it by double-clutching; but you want to make definite observed proper shifts and see if it's happening.
Old 09-28-2023, 04:40 PM   #12
CalgaryZL1

Drives: 2020 Chevy Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSEssence View Post
Interesting, love the feel of the shifter, nice and notchy!
My Gen five 2SS had that same feel, nice and Notchy. At first I Felt bad almost forcing it but after a while, you get used to it. It’s one of them who’s boss, eventually you get used to the RPM shift points and life is good
CalgaryZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2023, 08:53 AM   #13
Standard

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryZL1 View Post
My Gen five 2SS had that same feel, nice and Notchy. At first I Felt bad almost forcing it but after a while, you get used to it. It’s one of them who’s boss, eventually you get used to the RPM shift points and life is good
The shifter is technically just levers that get you to the inside of the transmission - any real mechanical feel is just being conveyed from the transmission.

The shifter can be long (providing less leverage) or short (more leverage) but you're at the end of the mechanism will be synchros and gears that have to handle getting smacked around with V8 Torque running through it - it can never feel like a compact car's shifts.
Old 09-29-2023, 09:29 AM   #14
Anom1LE

Drives: 18' 2SS 1LE, 94' Z28
The 6060 in my 18 was experiencing the same things that you're describing.
It simply didn't want to behave if it wasn't up to driving temps. Second gear
grinding, hard to pull out of first, etc (all at 7K miles). The two things I did
changed the overall feel and performance entirely. I highly recommend the two below..

*Royal Purple Synchromax drain n fill (follow GM D&F procedures explicitly)
*Hurst Billet/Plus shifter assembly.

The factory shifter assembly is a terribly poor design compared to the Hurst.
I was quite surprised at how cheap GM went on their shifter assembly. Either
way, I recommend the above.

1994 Z28 - Direct Port Nitrous - Multi Magazine Feature Camaro Z28
Anom1LE is offline   Reply With Quote