Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-01-2018, 08:30 PM   #1
Chazzz

Drives: 2018 1LT RS V6 A8 Convertible
Crossover Craze Costs More GM Workers Their Jobs

I see where up to 1,500 more jobs will be cut at GM's Lordstown Ohio plant leaving just one shift now producing the slow selling Chevy Cruze. Makes me seriously wonder if once the majority of GM's passenger cars age out, if like Ford has already announced, they are replaced with SUV's, trucks and crossovers. Kind of sad. One good thing out of this, another 20% off red tag fire sale on all 2018 Cruze LT and Malibu LT models again for May! Last month it was 20% off all Spark models and the already axed Chevy Sonic.

Last edited by Chazzz; 05-01-2018 at 09:17 PM.
Chazzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 10:29 PM   #2
Michael2000

Drives: .
What's amazing is Toyota still sells 300,000 Camrys a year, and Honda sells about the same number of Accords.
Michael2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 05:40 PM   #3
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
A lot has to do with peoples perception of GM. The Malibu is a much nicer car than a Camry, but people think the opposite. I rented a 2018 RAV 4 recently, what a huge pile of garbage. The interior was cheesy as hell, rode like crap, was night and day difference from my 2018 Equinox! But the RAV 4 gets all these high praises and everyone thinks it is so great for its segment, but that is completely false. GM needs a major marketing kick in the butt, just like the Camaro should be advertised with some awesome commercials to show off its awesomeness, but once again GM fails to showcase their products...a huge reason Cadiliac is in the position it is in, crappy marketing!

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 12:07 AM   #4
Bongos2U

Drives: Hopefully 6th gen Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael2000 View Post
What's amazing is Toyota still sells 300,000 Camrys a year, and Honda sells about the same number of Accords.
https://www.motor1.com/news/235949/h...-sales-report/
Bongos2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 01:56 AM   #5
Gen_Nick3.8

Drives: 22 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSport16 View Post
A lot has to do with peoples perception of GM. The Malibu is a much nicer car than a Camry, but people think the opposite. I rented a 2018 RAV 4 recently, what a huge pile of garbage. The interior was cheesy as hell, rode like crap, was night and day difference from my 2018 Equinox! But the RAV 4 gets all these high praises and everyone thinks it is so great for its segment, but that is completely false. GM needs a major marketing kick in the butt, just like the Camaro should be advertised with some awesome commercials to show off its awesomeness, but once again GM fails to showcase their products...a huge reason Cadiliac is in the position it is in, crappy marketing!
Malibu is ancient compared to the new camera. Its droopy looking while the camry is athletic and in your face styling. Better interior, better features, better everything. I myself would never buy a Toyota but i give credit where its due
Gen_Nick3.8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 02:02 AM   #6
Gen_Nick3.8

Drives: 22 ZL1 1LE
America has great logic. We want bigger cars, but complain when gas goes up, I see 5 foot 100lb women driving huge ass Expedition's and im like WTF!
Gen_Nick3.8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 02:11 AM   #7
indyz

Drives: 2SS, CT-R, LC500
People like reliable high volume cars. Safety in numbers and all that. We like performance cars, even though they may come with transmission shudders and poor dealership experiences across the board

I've been a GM customer for about 25 years, also been a Honda, Hyundai, Nissan customer over the same time period. The only reason I stick with GM is because they brought the GTO here from Holden and they make the Camaro SS. That matters to me, most of my friends couldn't give two hoots about that. They see the reliability ratings and dealership experiences post-purchase and that's how they make their choice.
indyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 04:14 AM   #8
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongos2U View Post
Maybe because its butt ugly. Like the 2019 Camaro, I dont care how great the car is if I can't stand the looks.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 04:30 AM   #9
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
I love how people compare cars they have rented to their own ride. Most rentals have the lowest level interior and performance. Have you looked at the low tier chevy models inside? They are pretty bad. Hell it's hard to get a decent interior in the top models of many Chevys as compared to the top interiors of their competition. The best thing I did in the last year was to start looking outside of the Ford, Chevy and Fiat. There is some great vehicles out there. As far as the Malibu being better than the new Camry, I think someone fell and hit their head with that statement. Ive been looking for a midsized sedan over the best several months for my daughter. The Malibu is at the bottom of that segment in just about every way from my research and opinion. Now the impala on the other hand is one of the best in its class, i just think it may be too big for her. It really doesnt matter what brand it is though, car sales are down across the board. I believe it was a bad time for Kia to bring out the Stinger. Its a great car, but people dont want cars right now. Probably get a great deal on one of those in a year or two.
Gas is already going back up. Americans never seem to learn from history.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 09:32 AM   #10
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
Maybe because its butt ugly. Like the 2019 Camaro, I dont care how great the car is if I can't stand the looks.
100%. I have a co-worker that bought the last model year Accord, and it looks great. The new one is ugly. Sad, that it is actually a similar design to the new Camaro SS.
Old 05-03-2018, 10:01 AM   #11
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
I love how people compare cars they have rented to their own ride. Most rentals have the lowest level interior and performance. Have you looked at the low tier chevy models inside? They are pretty bad. Hell it's hard to get a decent interior in the top models of many Chevys as compared to the top interiors of their competition. The best thing I did in the last year was to start looking outside of the Ford, Chevy and Fiat. There is some great vehicles out there. As far as the Malibu being better than the new Camry, I think someone fell and hit their head with that statement. Ive been looking for a midsized sedan over the best several months for my daughter. The Malibu is at the bottom of that segment in just about every way from my research and opinion. Now the impala on the other hand is one of the best in its class, i just think it may be too big for her. It really doesnt matter what brand it is though, car sales are down across the board. I believe it was a bad time for Kia to bring out the Stinger. Its a great car, but people dont want cars right now. Probably get a great deal on one of those in a year or two.
Gas is already going back up. Americans never seem to learn from history.
I have broadened my search as well for a mid size sedan. The Fusion Sport really ticked all the boxes for me, but getting one the way I want has been difficult without ordering it, also IMO that's a lot of coin for midsize sedan that when looking at the competition doesn't really have a ton of features.

Then I see the Mzada6 now has a turbo engine offered, and that car is damn near fully loaded for 33K and change. Now IMO the Mazda6 has always been a great looking car, but lacked on power. Now that they have the turbo engine, I might seriously consider it. GM currently has nothing in my price range that interests me new.

The malibu is definitely better than it has been, but IMO still middle of the pack at best.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 10:04 AM   #12
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen_Nick3.8 View Post
America has great logic. We want bigger cars, but complain when gas goes up, I see 5 foot 100lb women driving huge ass Expedition's and im like WTF!
America has ALWAYS liked huge cars. Forever. When it comes to the car industry, America does big cars better than anyone. They're comfortable, powerful, smooth, and reliable. One of the reasons GM and Ford developed V8 engines way back when is to provide smooth, reliable power to big cars for long distances. America has millions of miles of highways that Europe and Japan do not have, and Americans still take long distance drives.

Would you rather drive 8 hours in a compact with a buzzy 4 cylinder that may be over taxed if the weather is hot, you have a full load of people with your family and luggage and everyone is cramped and irritated? Or would you prefer the comfort some something big, roomy, smooth, and reliable for whatever your load is and plenty of room for the kiddies to have their own space in back without smacking each other in the head?

The only difference between today and 1960 is the SUV is this iteration of a 20 ft long Buick LeSabre.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 01:30 PM   #13
Bigdog9586

Drives: 2016 Z06 coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeROC View Post
Have a Toyota Corolla for a rental car right now. It's one of the worst things I've ever driven. I don't know how people actually spend money for these things. The interior reminds of me the 80's.
Back in the days when GM and Toyota shared that plant in California they made the Corolla and memory slips on the Chevy version but basically they went down the very same line and were duplicate vehicles but people swore the Toyota was head over heals better than the Chevy even though drivetrain and major body panels were same, interior too.
Bigdog9586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 01:50 PM   #14
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdog9586 View Post
Back in the days when GM and Toyota shared that plant in California they made the Corolla and memory slips on the Chevy version but basically they went down the very same line and were duplicate vehicles but people swore the Toyota was head over heals better than the Chevy even though drivetrain and major body panels were same, interior too.
Ah yes, NUMMI. They also built the Toyota Matrix/Pontiac Vibe.

But many Corollas were still built in Japan. When NUMMI closed Toyota opened their Mississippi assembly for American made Corollas. So during the NUMMI period, when you bought a Corolla, it could have been made in Japan or the United States. Now all North American Corollas are American made.

GM union employees went to Japan to learn how to build the cars the Japanese way. The film Gung Ho was loosely based on how things sort of went down in the early beginnings of this joint venture.

From '84-88 they built the Chevy Nova and from '89-2002 they built the Geo/Chevy Prizm. Both cars were Toyota Corollas with literally a bowtie a the hood.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote