#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Phastek Performance

Old 04-27-2018, 08:28 PM   #5167
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Rumors that Sonic is indeed dead after this year due to no CARB registration.
Old 04-27-2018, 10:10 PM   #5168
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
Ford and GM are both car companies. Ford is also a brand. GM has 4 domestic brands. For this discussion it is better to look at Ford as a brand.

Ford brand will have two cars...one sporty, one family oriented.

Chevrolet brand will likely have 3 or 4 cars....one luxury sport, one sport, one mid-sized, one small

Buick brand will likely have two cars, one large, one mid-sized

Cadillac brand will likely have 2 to 4 cars. My money is on 3. A 3-Series competitor, a 5-Series competitor and a 7-Series Competitor. Might be part of the reason JDN is not there. He may have been pushing for 4 or 5.

Dodge brand is already down to two (one sporty, one family / all-purpose)

Chrysler is down to one.
I see what you did there.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 12:35 PM   #5169
PDXSSCE
Yee-aay-ee!

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS CV CE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
Ford and GM are both car companies. Ford is also a brand. GM has 4 domestic brands. For this discussion it is better to look at Ford as a brand.
Actually, GM is a brand too.
Attached Images

PDXSSCE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 12:41 PM   #5170
PDXSSCE
Yee-aay-ee!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
I think that is a horrible miscalculation
Agreed. When (not if) the next economic downturn hits & fuel prices reach $4 per gallon, they'll flood the market with cheap (quality) Chinese vehicles, hoping to draw Americans away from Honda, Toyota & Nissan.
Old 04-28-2018, 12:53 PM   #5171
SpeedIsLife

Drives: Current Camaro-less
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXSSCE View Post
Actually, GM is a brand too.
General Motors is a company

General Motors Corporation (GMC) is a brand.
SpeedIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 01:34 PM   #5172
PDXSSCE
Yee-aay-ee!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedIsLife View Post
General Motors is a company

General Motors Corporation (GMC) is a brand.
The current company, General Motors Company ("new GM"), was formed in 2009 following the bankruptcy of General Motors Corporation ("old GM"), which became Motors Liquidation Company. The new company purchased the majority of the assets of the old GM, including the brand "General Motors".

GMC = General Motors Truck Company.

Either way it's General Motors Company.
Old 04-28-2018, 05:03 PM   #5173
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
The current company, General Motors Company ("new GM"), was formed in 2009 following the bankruptcy of General Motors Corporation ("old GM"), which became Motors Liquidation Company. The new company purchased the majority of the assets of the old GM, including the brand "General Motors".

GMC = General Motors Truck Company.

Either way it's General Motors Company.
GM is not GMC. GMC = a brand. GM = a company. GM is over GMC, as well as Chevrolet, Buick, Cadillac.
Old 04-28-2018, 05:30 PM   #5174
PDXSSCE
Yee-aay-ee!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
GM is not GMC. GMC = a brand. GM = a company.

End of story.
Yes, but they're both 'General Motors' & the general public's perception is that General Motors Company & General Motors Truck Company are one & the same. Ultimately, it's perception that matters, especially in marketing. General Motors Company has never shied away from the perception & even embraced it in 1998 by changing the branding of General Motors Truck Company from 'GMC Truck' to simply GMC.

Fun Fact Edit: May 2, 2018 will be the 100 year anniversary of General Motors' purchase of Chevrolet.

Old 04-28-2018, 06:41 PM   #5175
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
General Motors didn't buy Chevrolet. Chevrolet bought General Motors and rebranded the company.
Old 04-28-2018, 07:01 PM   #5176
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Yes, but they're both 'General Motors' & the general public's perception is that General Motors Company & General Motors Truck Company are one & the same. Ultimately, it's perception that matters, especially in marketing. General Motors Company has never shied away from the perception & even embraced it in 1998 by changing the branding of General Motors Truck Company from 'GMC Truck' to simply GMC.

Fun Fact Edit: May 2, 2018 will be the 100 year anniversary of General Motors' purchase of Chevrolet.

I bet most people either consider GMC to be another GM brand just like Chevy, Buick, or Cadillac OR are completely unaware of any relation whatsoever to GM (and yes, large numbers of such people exist). Very few consider it to be synonymous with GM. There's probably more that use Chevrolet & GM interchangeably than do it for GMC & GM.

I do agree with you that General Motors is a brand. Just in the broad sense, not car marketing sense. There is very low public awareness of it & even less marketable value to it. About the best way I can describe GM's brand is that of an industrial stalwart, and possibly the most 'corporate' of the car companies.

They tried to strengthen their brand awareness a little over a decade ago with the 'Mark of Excellence' badges, otherwise known as the 'chiclets', that they were putting on everything. Then the company went bankrupt & they stopped trying to get everyone to associate the cars with the company.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 07:28 PM   #5177

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
GMC truck = "A Chevy pick-up with lock-washers...".....lol
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 08:09 PM   #5178
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
GM is not GMC. GMC = a brand. GM = a company. GM is over GMC, as well as Chevrolet, Buick, Cadillac.
Even their website is as you described.
Attached Images

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 09:20 PM   #5179
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
I bet most people either consider GMC to be another GM brand just like Chevy, Buick, or Cadillac OR are completely unaware of any relation whatsoever to GM (and yes, large numbers of such people exist). Very few consider it to be synonymous with GM. There's probably more that use Chevrolet & GM interchangeably than do it for GMC & GM.

I do agree with you that General Motors is a brand. Just in the broad sense, not car marketing sense. There is very low public awareness of it & even less marketable value to it. About the best way I can describe GM's brand is that of an industrial stalwart, and possibly the most 'corporate' of the car companies.

They tried to strengthen their brand awareness a little over a decade ago with the 'Mark of Excellence' badges, otherwise known as the 'chiclets', that they were putting on everything. Then the company went bankrupt & they stopped trying to get everyone to associate the cars with the company.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 09:50 PM   #5180
PDXSSCE
Yee-aay-ee!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
General Motors didn't buy Chevrolet. Chevrolet bought General Motors and rebranded the company.
Correct, I was thinking of the current structure. Anyway, it's a noteworthy date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
We'll agree to disagree there. My good friend worked at a local Pontiac/Buick/GMC dealership for several years before the recession & I assure you people knew it was related to GM. Also, I can't count how many times over the years I've heard people refer to GMC models as the "General Motors version of the Chevy".

Tags
fenwickhockey65, gm questions, questions