Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics

AWE Tuning

Old 11-30-2019, 02:14 PM   #1
TXFIFTYSS

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS FIFTY
Best handheld tuner for disabling AFM/DOD & minor performance gains?

I don’t drive my car much (1900 miles), but when I do, I’m annoyed by the active fuel management/displacement on demand. The vibration, the slight hesitation/delay, the sound, the usual complaints. I have absolutely no intentions of performance upgrades other than the GMPP OEM intake that I already installed and had the computer flashed for. I simply want to disable the AFM/DOD and I wouldn’t mind a little extra power since I need a tuner anyway. I’m not trying to squeeze every last horsepower out of it before needing supporting mods, just a little extra over stock. Any reliable, reputable, solid tuners out there that can do this with ease and peace of mind?

By the way, I’m not looking for HPTuners or similar software or taking it to a shop for a dyno tune. I’m also not looking for a mail order tune. Since my main concern is disabling AFM/DOD, I’d prefer to stick with a handheld tuner I can simply plug in. The minimal performance gains was just a bonus.

Last edited by TXFIFTYSS; 11-30-2019 at 09:57 PM.
TXFIFTYSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 03:17 PM   #2
RLNTLSS
INTSAGRAM: Failwish

Drives: 2019 /2SS LT1
Range device..and i got one updated and ready to sale.. since im cammed and tuned i dont need it..it turns off afm dod and keeps car in v8 mode..
Old 11-30-2019, 08:54 PM   #3
TXFIFTYSS

I’ll keep it in mind, but that’s solely for disabling the AFM/DOD and plays no part in minor performance gains.
Old 12-04-2019, 05:38 AM   #4
TXFIFTYSS

140 views and no input?
Old 12-10-2019, 02:14 AM   #5
TXFIFTYSS

I know a custom dyno tune or street tuning with HPTuners is the best way to go, but I’m not necessarily looking to squeeze every last hp/tq out of the car on tuning. I just wanna be able to have that tad bit extra over stock and be able to disable DOD/AFM.
Old 12-10-2019, 03:47 PM   #6
squish72

Drives: 2016 2SS 8AT
A guy once told me you can do it right once or do it a few times the wrong way. Not many handheld tuners are worth anything. Diesels are another animal. Hptuners is a proper tool but needs someone with knowledge to used it. But it can take you in the direction you are wanting
squish72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 12:09 AM   #7
TXFIFTYSS

Oh yeah no doubt. I used to have a Duramax with a tuner that had like 7 levels. Between that and the handful of other mods, it was no joke. I’ve also had other fast cars that had full dyno tunes and 1 with speed density. I also know that you definitely need to know what you’re doing when it comes to using HPT, but I’m not gonna learn it. Again...just looking for a tad bit extra and the ability to disable AFM/DOD.
Old 12-12-2019, 09:32 PM   #8
TXFIFTYSS

I know I’ve been out of the “game” for a while, but SCT was like the go-to brand for Fords, particularly diesels. Anytime I hear that name, that’s the first thing that pops in my head.

Anyhow...I see that you sell both. How does the SCT compare to DiabloSport? Any others to consider/compare?
Old 12-13-2019, 03:36 AM   #9
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
sct and diablo wont tune your transmission. HP Tuners is the only way to go if tuning. if you just want to disable AFM get a range device.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 08:31 AM   #10
TXFIFTYSS

I’m happy with the way the car shifts, unless there’s something I’m missing that could be improved about the transmission.

From what I remember back when I had my race car at the shop for tuning, it seemed like the main 2 parameters that were adjusted were fuel and timing. Not overly complicated. With that being said...how could a handheld tuner with minimal changes to those parameters for small performance gains have a negative affect if any?

Lastly...I KNOW HP Tuners is the best way to go in addition to dyno or street tuning, but again, I’m not trying to squeeze every last HP and TQ out of the car with tuning (safely). I simply just wanted a slight boost over stock. I’ve read no real reasoning other than, HP Tuners is the way to go. That’s easy for anyone to pick up and say because everyone else on the forum says it.
Old 12-19-2019, 09:53 AM   #11
ssmofo

Drives: Chevy Camaro
HPT is the only way to go.
ssmofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 10:55 PM   #12
JCunningham

the shifting will make just about all the impact of a tune on a stock car. not much to gain on the stock engine.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
Old 12-21-2019, 09:12 AM   #13
TXFIFTYSS

You’re saying there’s no power to be gained from a handheld tuner and the only performance gains will come from tuning the transmission? I thought the transmission shifted smooth and fast.
Old 12-21-2019, 12:34 PM   #14
JCunningham

ya just about