Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-01-2019, 11:04 AM   #1
TEX1LE

Drives: 2017 1LE - Blue
Slicks On Stock Mag Ride

Wanted to check if anyone has had issues running slicks with the mag ride dampers? I’ve read a couple of different posts where people were running them without issues but when I ask around at local shops the feedback I get is the stock mag ride is sprung too soft for slicks. Another thing I’m hearing consistently is that the stock mag ride works really well but you can’t substitute spring rate and if I wanted to maximize the performance of slicks and general on track performance it would be better to switch to a coil over setup..... thoughts? Thanks in advance.
TEX1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 11:23 AM   #2
Matos1LE

Drives: SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEX1LE View Post
Wanted to check if anyone has had issues running slicks with the mag ride dampers? I’ve read a couple of different posts where people were running them without issues but when I ask around at local shops the feedback I get is the stock mag ride is sprung too soft for slicks. Another thing I’m hearing consistently is that the stock mag ride works really well but you can’t substitute spring rate and if I wanted to maximize the performance of slicks and general on track performance it would be better to switch to a coil over setup..... thoughts? Thanks in advance.
Slicks for drag racing or slicks for cornering? I've yet to see any complaints from folks on this forum about it. Sounds like the shops want to sell you some coilovers.
Matos1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 11:47 AM   #3
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
Quote:
The 1LE is sprung fairly stiff, you shouldn't have a problem there.
I think it would work well.
Old 05-01-2019, 12:09 PM   #4
Provoste

Drives: E46 S54 race car, 964C2
SS 1LE is terrific on slicks, plenty of spring rate. Camber is main concern, slicks need more than the SS 1LE can get without mods (strut mod/camber plates). I’ve gone through 4 sets of Pirelli PZero DH BTW.
Provoste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 12:29 PM   #5
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost Creep View Post
The 1LE is sprung fairly stiff, you shouldn't have a problem there.
I think it would work well.
The springs are relatively soft, but the anti-roll bars have a high rate. Add even more anti-roll bar rate to match stickier tires and the package keeps delivering without ruining ride quality. Bonus on that is dynamic camber loss is minimized while you're at it.
Old 05-01-2019, 12:36 PM   #6
TEX1LE

Thanks for the feedback everyone I appreciate it. Yeah it could very well be to push a sale. MCS came out with a setup for the 1LE so it’s the hot topic around my area right now. I have the ground control camber plates so I can definitely dial in all the camber I need.

Matos1LE- this is regarding cornering only I don’t drag race the car at all.

Provoste- do you use pirelli take offs or purchase new? That’s quite a few sets you must get a lot of seat time in.
Old 05-01-2019, 12:51 PM   #7
CesarT

Drives: '17 1ss
Ive got a 15" conversion and slick on my 1le...no problems at all. Cut a 1.6 60 ft n/a in stupid high da and medoicre track.
CesarT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 12:57 PM   #8
TEX1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
The springs are relatively soft, but the anti-roll bars have a high rate. Add even more anti-roll bar rate to match stickier tires and the package keeps delivering without ruining ride quality. Bonus on that is dynamic camber loss is minimized while you're at it.
Great info, thanks Ryephile!
Old 05-01-2019, 02:45 PM   #9
NickyRacerBoy

Drives: 1LE
Quote:

You have no worries! I run slicks without issues. If anything might be a tad stiff.
NickyRacerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 05:52 PM   #10
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Quote:
THIS!!!

The springs are actually softer that I was expecting when I got out of my M3 and into the SS 1LE.

In most cars this does not work, but this is by design because the soft springs are countered by the stiff sway bars and the MRC's ability to firm things up quickly.

At first it was very concerning to me as it feels sloppy in the 1 - 5 -10 MPH stuff, like driveways, speed bumps, etc. This is because the MRC is not making big adjustments and the springs are soft, ant it makes things feel sloppy.

BUT, when you get going and the MRC reacts to G loads and the other sensors, it is amazing. This is why the 1LE feels so smooth, yet is so capable.

You get used to it, but I do miss that low speed control and firmness that the M3 had.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 12:52 PM   #11
TheRealJA105

Drives: 2013 C6Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Provoste View Post
SS 1LE is terrific on slicks, plenty of spring rate. Camber is main concern, slicks need more than the SS 1LE can get without mods (strut mod/camber plates). I’ve gone through 4 sets of Pirelli PZero DH BTW.
Quote:
Everything these 2 have said is spot on. I eat up the outside edge of the front slicks very quickly at -2.2 without any camber mods. I just went to the BMR adjustable sway bars this year to increase the roll stiffness and i hope this also helps with the outside edge wear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
THIS!!!

The springs are actually softer that I was expecting when I got out of my M3 and into the SS 1LE.

In most cars this does not work, but this is by design because the soft springs are countered by the stiff sway bars and the MRC's ability to firm things up quickly.

At first it was very concerning to me as it feels sloppy in the 1 - 5 -10 MPH stuff, like driveways, speed bumps, etc. This is because the MRC is not making big adjustments and the springs are soft, ant it makes things feel sloppy.

BUT, when you get going and the MRC reacts to G loads and the other sensors, it is amazing. This is why the 1LE feels so smooth, yet is so capable.

You get used to it, but I do miss that low speed control and firmness that the M3 had.
Have you ever run slicks on your car?
TheRealJA105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 03:31 PM   #12
TRZ06

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJA105 View Post
Everything these 2 have said is spot on. I eat up the outside edge of the front slicks very quickly at -2.2 without any camber mods. I just went to the BMR adjustable sway bars this year to increase the roll stiffness and i hope this also helps with the outside edge wear.

Have you ever run slicks on your car?
Why do you care asshole

Previous:
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
03' C5 Z06
Old 05-03-2019, 09:36 AM   #13
TheRealJA105

Drives: 2013 C6Z06
Read the thread title???
TheRealJA105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 11:15 AM   #14
TRZ06

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJA105 View Post
Read the thread title???
Are you the thread police now? You don't like what I have to say, then ignore it. You don't need to make stupid ass comments and be a dick.

Previous:
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
03' C5 Z06

Last edited by TRZ06; 05-03-2019 at 11:39 AM.