Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Phastek Performance

Old 04-25-2019, 09:41 AM   #15
mjk3888
"M1SS1LE"

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
I'll be there too. White SS 1LE in the Advanced group. Should be fun to check off the bucket list but I too imagine it will be a one and done visit. Will certainly be cool to say I ran it since I attend the Rolex 24 every year.
Old 04-26-2019, 11:50 AM   #16
Snakebt6

Drives: Rally Green 2020 ZL1 1LE A10
Ive gone to the 24hr race the last 2 years so itll be awesome to be on the same track that they ran on. I have a friend who is running in the Saturday event as well.

Ive never driven Daytona and am a bit nervous about the speeds so I went in the Novice group.

At the Firm ive only hit 115 or so and not much faster.
Snakebt6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 03:41 PM   #17
Timbo-1LE

Will see you guys there. Ran once with PDG before they bailed due to cost (per Henry)... Agree it is not very technical, but banking is a hoot. Per MatthewAML, a year ago commented, can you hold it open in turn 4 flatout, it will stick. My first time in 2017 I was like 80%, it is mental like driving in a bending tube...

Should be fun...
Timbo-1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 08:24 AM   #18
mjk3888
"M1SS1LE"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakebt6 View Post
Ive gone to the 24hr race the last 2 years so itll be awesome to be on the same track that they ran on. I have a friend who is running in the Saturday event as well.

Ive never driven Daytona and am a bit nervous about the speeds so I went in the Novice group.

At the Firm ive only hit 115 or so and not much faster.
I ran my first event at the Charlotte Roval so I got a taste of the bankings. It was really fun but it did mess with my instincts to lift. I was able to run 1-2 flat at charlotte but I would coast down way too much in 3-4. I imagine Daytona will feel similar except not near as tight and should be easy full throttle all the way around. I'm most concerned about getting the right line braking into the infield. Looks like its really tricky to let the car brake relatively straight while still getting the entry right. Seems like you can lose a lot of laptime there if you really botch it, but its all in fun. Not a competition anyway.
Old 04-29-2019, 09:36 AM   #19
MatthewAMEL

Drives: 2023 CT5 Blackwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjk3888 View Post
I ran my first event at the Charlotte Roval so I got a taste of the bankings. It was really fun but it did mess with my instincts to lift. I was able to run 1-2 flat at charlotte but I would coast down way too much in 3-4. I imagine Daytona will feel similar except not near as tight and should be easy full throttle all the way around. I'm most concerned about getting the right line braking into the infield. Looks like its really tricky to let the car brake relatively straight while still getting the entry right. Seems like you can lose a lot of laptime there if you really botch it, but its all in fun. Not a competition anyway.

Most 'excursions' at Daytona happen in Turn 1 and the Bus Stop.

You really have to take off the speed after crossing start/finish to get setup for Turn 1. At 170mph, it comes up faster than you are used to.

The Bus Stop is a blast...just use the sessions to slowly up your speed through it. You'll find the spot where it's comfortable.

2023 Wave Metallic
CT5-V Blackwing M6
MatthewAMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 10:54 AM   #20
Buzzberd6

Drives: 2LT/1LE, HPCRX, F250(tow vehicle)
I signed up to work this TNiA. I still have yet to hear from them (Jack Track?) about what work assignment they may want me to do but I will be taking the car out for at least one session (advanced) on track.
They're also doing something new this time with the track tour. Allowing people to drive or ride around the track at a leisurely pace behind a pace vehicle to give them some idea what being on the track is actually like.
Buzzberd6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 01:32 PM   #21
mjk3888
"M1SS1LE"

I’m getting concerned about the weather forecast. I wonder if I should leave my daily all seasons on.
Old 04-30-2019, 01:44 PM   #22
Move_Over

Drives: ISO ss 1le
Quote:
I’m getting concerned about the weather forecast. I wonder if I should leave my daily all seasons on.
92% chance of rain right now, should be fun on slicks...
Move_Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 02:36 PM   #23
mjk3888
"M1SS1LE"

Will they call the cars off track if lightning is present? I know the refund policy is to transfer credit to another track event, but I would have to make that decision tomorrow or it'll be too late.
Old 04-30-2019, 03:13 PM   #24
Buzzberd6

Quote:
Will they call the cars off track if lightning is present?
Without a doubt! They are more concerned about the corner workers safety with lightning in the area than cars getting track time.
Old 04-30-2019, 03:23 PM   #25
Move_Over

Drives: ISO ss 1le
Quote:
Will they call the cars off track if lightning is present? I know the refund policy is to transfer credit to another track event, but I would have to make that decision tomorrow or it'll be too late.
Mmm, i honestly don't know as I haven't run with SCCA much. Maybe MatthewAmel can answer that.

I honestly find rain driving to be really helpful in learning the car...maybe not your first (and only time) at a track but man you can learn a lot in the rain.
Move_Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 03:27 PM   #26
mjk3888
"M1SS1LE"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Move_Over View Post
Mmm, i honestly don't know as I haven't run with SCCA much. Maybe MatthewAmel can answer that.

I honestly find rain driving to be really helpful in learning the car...maybe not your first (and only time) at a track but man you can learn a lot in the rain.
I have no problem running it in the rain, just hope they don't short us track time because of weather and not get and credit back for shorted event.
Old 04-30-2019, 03:46 PM   #27
Buzzberd6

I just looked at the weekend forecast and while the chance of rain for Friday is high at the moment, it also indicated that it should drop to about 20% in the evening. Normal Florida weather. I wouldn't sweat it. Besides, it's still three days away, the forecast could change dramatically by then.
Old 04-30-2019, 04:00 PM   #28
mjk3888
"M1SS1LE"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzberd6 View Post
I just looked at the weekend forecast and while the chance of rain for Friday is high at the moment, it also indicated that it should drop to about 20% in the evening. Normal Florida weather. I wouldn't sweat it. Besides, it's still three days away, the forecast could change dramatically by then.
I just noticed that too. Living in Orlando a couple of years, I do remember how fast the weather could change and how even heavy rain could be gone in seconds with the sun out right after.