Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-26-2019, 01:22 PM   #15
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Read official Amsoil website.
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 07:20 AM   #16
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
Amsoil recommends ONLY using oil grades which OEM recommends for warranty. If you pick another grade you are on your own and outside of Amsoil official recommendation! At this time it is only Amsoil 5W30 which is GM Dexos 1 Gen2 certified and as such it is the ONLY oil Amsoil recommends for LT1/4 Camaros (and also stipulates one uses their filter as a requirement). There are also clear limitation as to long change intervals based on actual usage, etc. Dexos is not any "minimim standard". It is THE standard. Read how Amsoil describes specific tests GM requires for Dexos certification. Their words not mine btw. Amsoil will not take any OEM to court on your behalf and pay hundreds of thousands for litigation - that's a pipe dream. Read their warranty: it is all there in small print detail as to what the warranty covers (and does not cover), how and with what limitations and specific requirements on you - the consumer.

Bottom line: if you wish your motor (5yrs) and your emissions (8 yrs) warranty intact, use what GM specifies as approved oils in owner's manul (based on type of duty). And that's exactly what Amsoil's official position is as stated on their own website. Cheers!
This is true, it’s not just a minimum but also considers emission protection and gm research on battling lspi
6spdhyperblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 12:07 PM   #17
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spdhyperblue View Post
This is true, it’s not just a minimum but also considers emission protection and gm research on battling lspi
Thank you and agree fully! But i need to correct my prior stipulation that Amsoil 5w30 is Dexos1 Gen2 certified as it is not on the Dexos list afterall. As much as it may meet or exceed some Dexos specific tests as listed in its tech info sheet, nowhere does it say that it meets ALL Dexos1 Gen2 tests. At least i could not find any such statements.

As far as warranty, there are some things to ponder. Firstly, there are specific criteria that apply to Signature long drain interval, such as 25000 miles, 700 hrs or 1 year - whichever comes FIRST. This also stipulates using Amsoil special filter, without which the oil is only good for 12000 miles. So this is not just about the oil but also about the filter! Aha! Lastly, the type of usage conditions can shorten the drain interval as specified in the tech sheet.

As far as any warranty claims, one MUST start the process by submitting a min of 9 ounces of recovered oil. Now if anyone has seen a motor grenade on a race track, one will observe that most if not all of it ends up being puked on a track surface. In either case, it is worth to read the Warranty legal page in detail. It is also worth reading GM warranty legal page in detail. Enough said...

Amsoil tech sheets provide some specs, but not all. For example SAPS are omitted, but looking at Total Base Numbers i would deduct they might be on a higher side? Just a speculation here.

Also, looking at the available 5w30 specs i would much prefer to use Mobil1 ESP Formula 0W40 or Valvoline MST 5W40 (both Dexos2) as their critical HTHS and Flash points are much higher, while SAPS appear much lower. The only aspect where they trail Amsoil 5w30 is NOACK but that's neither here or there, as they are not extended drain interval oils and need to be changed more frequently anyway. Lastly, no 5w30 is warrantied for track duty regarding lt1/lt4 cars. So what Amsoil recommends for LT1/LT4 engines does not apply to track use. Just an FYI here.
Old 04-27-2019, 12:52 PM   #18
Jfmoore79

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red 2SS A8
Has anyone tried the Amsoil European Spec 5W40? The website shows it as being GM Dexos 2 certified. Obviously the viscosity is different and one would have to consider the climate and driving style.
Old 04-27-2019, 01:51 PM   #19
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfmoore79 View Post
Has anyone tried the Amsoil European Spec 5W40? The website shows it as being GM Dexos 2 certified. Obviously the viscosity is different and one would have to consider the climate and driving style.
It is not Dexos 2 certified. Just recommended by Amsoil for cars that require Dexos2. This is what got me initially confused as well. NB Its tech sheet is almost identical to Valvoline MST 5W40 Dexos2.

Note this oil does not come up as specifically recommended for Camaro on Amsoil website. Only specific 5w30 Amsoil oils come up. Anyone's guess as to why, as 0w40 and 5w40 (Dexos2) grades have been recommended by GM from day one, some 4 yrs now yet for some reason they dont come up as officially recommended on Amsoil website.
Old 10-13-2021, 10:47 AM   #20
PA181SS

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS
https://www.gmdexos.com/brands/dexos1/index.html

Hello,

My first post here and looking forward to learning from you guys. Bought a 2018 1SS M6 with 20,000 on it in May.

I'm now at 30% oil life and use the car for street use only.
Was getting ready to plan my oil change and really wanted to use Amsoil 5w30 signature series. But reading this post I might just have to dealer change my oil.
I plan on keeping my car a long time so was wanting the best oil out there.
I thought that was Amsoil.

I attached a link and Amsoil is not listed as an approved oil.
Sorry, I know this subject has been beat to death.
PA181SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 07:28 PM   #21
Fleetwood

Drives: 22 2SS 1LE; 21 Blazer; old stuff
I think it's tough to go wrong with Amsoil Signature; if they don't have the factory approval, they're probably working on it. Many oils, depending on application, exceed the various approvals. I've run Amsoil products in the vehicles for which they're highly rated and approved (Blazer, 80 MB Diesel), and will run the 0W40 in my 22 2SS 1LE. The Mobil1 approved oil is also probably every bit as good as the nearest oil in the Mobil1 line, 0W40 FS, which I've run in the past in Porsches (it carries many Euro factory approvals).
1970 MB 280SE W108
1966 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham
1939 Cadillac 60 Special
Cadillac & MB Factory (un)trained tinkerer from long ago, now working on remote diagnostics & other nonsense.
"Form is Emptiness, Emptiness is Form"
Fleetwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 08:05 PM   #22
TrackClub

Tons of opinions and often times folks swear on a particular brand. But, here is a story fyi: Valvoline MST 5w40 used to be Dexos2 approved and many folks used it, myself included.
Then, Valvoline changed a recipe to cater to Euro engines (if my memory serves me right) and its Dexos2 got dropped.
Many thought it was still good for our Camaros, but an owner who happened to work for them chimed in and recommended folks stay AWAY from it. So there you go. Want to take guessing out of the equation: use what the manual recommends. Lots of excellent choices on the list imo.
And, don't run it until the system shows 0% life left, as that defies any logic of worrying about a quality of oil whatsoever.
Happy motoring and cheers!
Old 10-14-2021, 09:26 AM   #23
PA181SS

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
And, don't run it until the system shows 0% life left, as that defies any logic of worrying about a quality of oil whatsoever.
Happy motoring and cheers!
Hello

Thanks for your response. I respect your opinion. I was planning on changing it around 15-20% oil life.

As far as Amsoil goes I'll continue to do more research but may end up letting the dealer change my oil.

Thanks!
PA181SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 12:17 PM   #24
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA181SS View Post
Hello

Thanks for your response. I respect your opinion. I was planning on changing it around 15-20% oil life.

As far as Amsoil goes I'll continue to do more research but may end up letting the dealer change my oil.

Thanks!
I change not too far beyond 50%, but that's conservative. Fyi Ive been running Motul 5w40 Dexos2 since Valvoline MST lost the certificate. But, also had a few Mobil1 Formula 0W40 fills at a dealer. Anyhow, enjoy your car - they are amazing machines! Cheers!
Old 10-15-2021, 08:25 PM   #25
Nubbz

Drives: 2022 ZL1
It looks like Mobil1 0W-40 is kind of hard to find. I use Amsoil Signature in my other vehicles and I order everything straight from Amsoil.
Nubbz is offline   Reply With Quote