#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Phastek Performance

Old 03-09-2019, 11:21 PM   #15
F1FTY

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen12ZL1 View Post
If weather permits, Fanatic and myself will be able to test this unit thoroughly at VIR in 2 weeks. Fanatic is a way above average driver with excellent car control so trust his judgement. Street manners means almost nothing to me. The Camaro platform is definitely not where DSC makes its $ so we must be patient with fine tuning as their reward for making a half dozen track rats happy is minimal...sad but true.
Excellent. Looking forward to your results.
F1FTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 09:18 PM   #16
DOHCVTEC

Drives: 2018 Chevy Camaro ZL1 M6
awesome, finally some like minded folks..
I have tracked mine with the DSC but not on any that I also tracked with the stock controller so couldn't give you back to back comparo..

I can tell you with the box the cars does have great balance, holds corners exceptionally well, and does seem to come of the corners better..

Street manners are quite amazing now, especially after I zeroed out the ride height sensors and tightened up the comfort setting just a hair (which have no effect on spirited driving, only cruising comfort). I will be happy to share those settings, its only a few adjustments

On twisty street roads the car is insane.. I was amazed at seeing 1.04 Gs on a nice curvy road with the stock controller, but recently I noticed 1.16 Gs on this same road, with the DSC controller. the only effective mods were the controller and track alignment and 1LE aero BUT that corner was about 50mph so I doubt the aero had anything to do with it... stock tires were relatively cool pressures, at 32 (when hot they go to 35)

you can easily make adjustments through wi-fi but you must use a browser rather than the tuning application which is not a big deal except:!!!!

two of the parameters are flipped when tuning though browser.. its no big deal, still works fine, and you can make adjustment using the pc app, saving the file then uploading through wifi to make sure you are not messing anything up
Attached Images

DOHCVTEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 08:21 AM   #17
Chris V

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
The WiFi works on yours? It disappear on mine a while back. I’ll have to check for an update. I’ve been running DSC since 2017. It’s night and day better for autocross, and imo better, but not as significantly, on track.

2017 1SS 1LE - 663 whp/623 wtq
Rotofab/Whipple/Kooks 2"/LT5 TB/LT4 Fueling/E85/MCS Coilovers/Ground Control/GOODAero/Apex Wheels/Race Louvers
Chris V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 11:43 AM   #18
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOHCVTEC View Post
awesome, finally some like minded folks..
I have tracked mine with the DSC but not on any that I also tracked with the stock controller so couldn't give you back to back comparo..

I can tell you with the box the cars does have great balance, holds corners exceptionally well, and does seem to come of the corners better..

Street manners are quite amazing now, especially after I zeroed out the ride height sensors and tightened up the comfort setting just a hair (which have no effect on spirited driving, only cruising comfort). I will be happy to share those settings, its only a few adjustments

On twisty street roads the car is insane.. I was amazed at seeing 1.04 Gs on a nice curvy road with the stock controller, but recently I noticed 1.16 Gs on this same road, with the DSC controller. the only effective mods were the controller and track alignment and 1LE aero BUT that corner was about 50mph so I doubt the aero had anything to do with it... stock tires were relatively cool pressures, at 32 (when hot they go to 35)

you can easily make adjustments through wi-fi but you must use a browser rather than the tuning application which is not a big deal except:!!!!

two of the parameters are flipped when tuning though browser.. its no big deal, still works fine, and you can make adjustment using the pc app, saving the file then uploading through wifi to make sure you are not messing anything up
The added lateral G's had nothing to do with the controller. That is a function of tire grip, unless the car was skipping on the road in stock form.

Those lateral G improvements came from a more aggressive camber setting and probably better grip from the first time you took those readings.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 05:03 PM   #19
Stephen12ZL1

Drives: '21 ZLE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
The added lateral G's had nothing to do with the controller. That is a function of tire grip, unless the car was skipping on the road in stock form.

Those lateral G improvements came from a more aggressive camber setting and probably better grip from the first time you took those readings.
you can't be certain about your statements above being valid. Real time dampening in a magnetic shock can certainly allow better grip to the road surface and increase grip.
'21 ZLE A10 Wild Cherry PDR 2:00.78 VIR Full 10.68@131.69 1.68 60'
'17 ZL1 A10 Mosaic Black PDR/Nav 2:03.08 VIR Full 11.003@129.2 1.75 (sold)
'15 Z/28 #325 Black a/c & stereo. 2:10.1 VIR Full (sold)
'12 ZL1 A6 Black 10.52@131 1.55 60' 2:13 VIR Full (sold)
Stephen12ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 10:17 PM   #20
DOHCVTEC

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post

except DSC advertises increased lateral Gs as a result of using their controller
Old 03-12-2019, 10:21 AM   #21
DOHCVTEC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris V View Post
The WiFi works on yours? It disappear on mine a while back. I’ll have to check for an update. I’ve been running DSC since 2017. It’s night and day better for autocross, and imo better, but not as significantly, on track.
have you called them about your wifi problem? sounds like hardware to me
Old 03-12-2019, 10:23 AM   #22
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Quote:
except DSC advertises increased lateral Gs as a result of using their controller
Companies can advertise anything they want, that doesn't make it true.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 10:35 AM   #23
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
Quote:
It's a lie that panders to ignorance, like so much advertising out there. Dampers can't affect steady-state cornering force. The DSC module allows you to change the transitional behavior of the chassis, not the steady state. This is the fundamental nature of shock absorbers.

*edit* You also said you changed more than one thing at a time, so you can't separate which made the improvement, or if one made a big improvement and the other detracted slightly. I urge you to make some back-to-back comparisons. The MRC module only take a minute to swap out. You could drive down the same twisty road, or do one track session with one computer, and then swap out and make a comparison.

Last edited by Ryephile; 03-12-2019 at 11:29 AM.
Ryephile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 11:37 AM   #24
F1FTY

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
It's a lie that panders to ignorance, like so much advertising out there. Dampers can't affect steady-state cornering force. The DSC module allows you to change the transitional behavior of the chassis, not the steady state. This is the fundamental nature of shock absorbers.

*edit* You also said you changed more than one thing at a time, so you can't separate which made the improvement, or if one made a big improvement and the other detracted slightly. I urge you to make some back-to-back comparisons. The MRC module only take a minute to swap out. You could drive down the same twisty road, or do one track session with one computer, and then swap out and make a comparison.
maybe DSC means time in steady-state handling is increased due to their damper reaction programming.

would be difficult to measure.
F1FTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 01:12 PM   #25
Chris V

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
Quote:
have you called them about your wifi problem? sounds like hardware to me
Yeah, it's a known issue - not a hardware issue, but rather a firmware issue that happened with the V3 velocity updates.

Quote:

A backroad test drive is also entirely unscientific, and not really steady state cornering.

On a skidpad, you'll get steady state cornering. Anywhere else you're looking at peak numbers. Good dampers can drastically impact peak lateral g's by keeping the tire in better contact with the pavement.

2017 1SS 1LE - 663 whp/623 wtq
Rotofab/Whipple/Kooks 2"/LT5 TB/LT4 Fueling/E85/MCS Coilovers/Ground Control/GOODAero/Apex Wheels/Race Louvers
Chris V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 01:46 PM   #26
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris V View Post
...A backroad test drive is also entirely unscientific, and not really steady state cornering.

On a skidpad, you'll get steady state cornering. Anywhere else you're looking at peak numbers. Good dampers can drastically impact peak lateral g's by keeping the tire in better contact with the pavement.
I did say the same road, which means it's a constant, not a variable.

You're also talking about peak lateral g, which is a dynamic scenario, not static. Of course the dampers play a part in that equation.

Also, since the whole point of the DSC module is to change the MRC behavior, steady state is hardly what you want for back-to-back comparisons. I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here.

The only other guy [than me] that did a back to back track session between stock and DSC later admitted it was his first track day ever with the car. More back-to-back with reasonably experienced drivers would be nice to see.
Old 03-12-2019, 06:01 PM   #27
Bow Tie Fanatic

Drives: 2018 Mosaic Black Metallic ZL1 A10
Quote:

The only other guy [than me] that did a back to back track session between stock and DSC later admitted it was his first track day ever with the car. More back-to-back with reasonably experienced drivers would be nice to see.
If you’re referring to me, it wasn’t my first track day with my car. It was my first track day(s) with the DSC controller and I had very limited open track the entire weekend which hampered me from going as quick as I could have gone. The overall grip of the car seemed improved with the DSC controller especially part/WOT from the center off.
Bow Tie Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 06:07 PM   #28
DOHCVTEC

this is a road I take several times a week, this is a 90* hard turn coming in while decelerating, peak Gs, not static, cold stock worn tires.. but anyway, I think people are getting too excited about what I was saying. there is nothing scientific about this, just an observation, that's all. thought I would share it do what you want with that info

now that we got that out of the way, for those of you actually own and use this controller I am wondering if you are planning to make any tuning changes and why?
by the way, if you have this controller, zero out your ride height sensors, it makes a difference

Tags
dsc controller, dsc sport, mag ride, zl1