#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 05-17-2019, 02:34 PM   #435
Kmeleon

Drives: 2018 NFG 2SS 1LE!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvandy50 View Post
mine is still the same too, i'm afraid the tune is the only option for us.
What I don't understand is how some people can see these huge night and day changes and why some of us feel little to no difference?
Kmeleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 02:40 PM   #436
jvandy50

Drives: 18 ZL1-1LE, 10 JKU
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmeleon View Post
What I don't understand is how some people can see these huge night and day changes and why some of us feel little to no difference?
i don't understand it either, but it's obvious this is none of our first rodeo with a stick...and i've tried taking off every which way known to man...it's simply inconsistent. like everyone else, once rolling it's a thing of beauty. but for now, i will not sneak out in front of someone for fear it'll fall on it's nose. i would think that alone would cause concern for GM
jvandy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 02:59 PM   #437
Alain

Drives: 2016 Challenger Hellcat, 2018 ZL1LE
My luck, I’ll spend the money on the throttle body and my car will feel the same. How on god’s green earth can there be such a difference for some and no difference for others ?!?!

2018 ZL1 1LE/Red hot

2019 Shellby GT 350R/ Oxford white/ Matte Black Stripes/ Carbon Fiber Dash/ Electronics Package #413
Alain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 03:02 PM   #438
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Drives: 2017 ZL1, 2021 Corvette Convertible
Quote:
I wish I felt the same way. Hopefully it continues to improve and the issue fades as the computer learns.

Are you saying it went away as soon as you changed it? Or after some seat time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvandy50 View Post
mine is still the same too, i'm afraid the tune is the only option for us.
Don't feel bad. I had a Mamo PTB on my ZL1 for over a month and saw no difference in throttle response or off idle lag. In fact, I thought it made the drivability a little worse because it would RPM hunt at idle. I sold it to a member with an A10 ZL1 and he's happy as punch with it.

I've installed three PTBs from three different vendors on three different vehicles. I switched all three vehicles back to the stock throttle body because of drivability issues. I'm done screwing around with ported throttle bodies.

I also think It's kind of telling when a reputable tuner prefers the OEM TB over a Mamo ported one.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...highlight=mamo
Old 05-17-2019, 05:17 PM   #439
Zigg L1

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Garnet Red Tintcoat A10
I agree with that. Stock TB is good i have heard from a few of my mechanic friends that ported throttle body is overrated. I will put the money towards some other mods
Zigg L1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 06:17 PM   #440
Alain

Drives: 2016 Challenger Hellcat, 2018 ZL1LE
I think I’m going to swing towards the LT5 throttle body and adapter plate instead. I’ve read that throttle body was actually engineered with a purpose and not a part bin part like the LT4

2018 ZL1 1LE/Red hot

2019 Shellby GT 350R/ Oxford white/ Matte Black Stripes/ Carbon Fiber Dash/ Electronics Package #413
Alain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 08:36 AM   #441
Chris C 1SS 1LE

Drives: 2017 1LE
Tony offers a guarantee...
Old 05-21-2019, 01:22 AM   #442
Tony @ Mamo Motorsports

Drives: 2009 CTS-V, 2008 C6Z06
Quote:
Guys,

Sorry for the lag....been extremely busy of late (in all aspects of my business) and its much harder to find time to get on the boards. Pretty much par for the course for this time of year

Let me just sum this up by saying I have helped hundreds....and I mean hundreds of customers with just LT1/LT4 TB's. With the fact this TB is soooo poor in stock trim (as I have gone over with you guys in much more detail in other posts), I tend to sell ALOT of these.

85-90% of my customers install what I sell them and are thrilled....10% feel the gains but say its not what they expected.....5% might have an issue where they throw a code etc. I would say that is a really accurate assessment of the TB's I ship but I want you guys clear on the fact that I'm always here to help the 15% that didn't have a stellar experience from jump street with this product.

But.....that takes effort on your part as well. You need to reach out to me and lets discuss what you experienced. As most of you know, I'm willing to exchange the TB I send you with something that we hope will work a little better if necessary. There have only been a few customers that I sent more than one TB that haven't been happy when the smoke cleared....I'm talking about a count on one hand type of number and some I think had other issues or simply expected a bit too much.

Make no mistake about the fact it is a significant and noteworthy improvement to the overall power delivery curve. The car should be more responsive.....the dead zone or lag right off idle which plagues the manual trans guys more as they are in that area of the throttle letting out the clutch....that should be significantly improved....and some say eliminated depending on which car and which driver you ask. The delivery of the power should be more crisp and much more linear.....alot less of the on/off situation that plagues the poorly shaped OEM unit and if your installing this in a boosted car you should see boost come in with much less pedal effort.....everything is smoother.

If your NOT experiencing the bulk of the perks I just mentioned (Kemeleon, jvandy50, etc.) please take the time to reach out to me.....lets try swapping your TB out for another and see how that goes. Hell I may have to send you three but if your willing to invest the time and the minimal effort it takes to swap, the end results will improve your driving experience every mile your cruising down the road and you simply cant put a price on that, especially then the cost of my ported TB is beyond modest and the time required even to send one back etc. (if necessary), pretty darn manageable.

Don't forget....most of my customers install and hit it out of the park right away.....when you factor in the shear number of people I have helped with these late model ported LT1/LT4 TB's (not just 6th Gen Camaros....a ton of 7th gen Vettes late model trucks also), your just bound to run across a few situations that need a little TLC to get just right. Keep in mind there are alot of variables beyond my control, including variables in the sensors on the car as well....not just the bolt-on's or different mods and state of tune from one car to the next).

Kemeleon, jvandy50, and whoever else.....reach out to me via PM or email....I may and likely will suggest a phone call and lets try a few things and get it figured out. I dont think a tune is really necessary to get significantly improved results with these LT powered cars....I drove my buddy's C7 stock and it was night and day better with the addition of my TB. In fact 18 months later he still loves how it drives with his Mamo ported TB installed and says it really improved the fun factor and the ease of simply driving it normal letting out the clutch and leaving a traffic light.

Alright....this post is twice as long as I wanted it to be but I guess I had more to say than I realized

Catch you guys later

-Tony

(661)714-1317
tony@mamomotorsports.com
www.mamomotorsports.com
Tony @ Mamo Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 09:21 AM   #443
BAD MOOOFOOO

Drives: between cars
If you don't feel a difference after TB install, try disconnecting the battery for 5 minutes and then drive the car like you stole it (in a safe place) for 15-20 mins.
BAD MOOOFOOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 10:23 AM   #444
jvandy50

Drives: 18 ZL1-1LE, 10 JKU
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAD MOOOFOOO View Post
If you don't feel a difference after TB install, try disconnecting the battery for 5 minutes and then drive the car like you stole it (in a safe place) for 15-20 mins.

i am going to try this next.

to be clear, i did feel a difference at first. and i'm 100% sure it wasn't placebo, but it's now like my car is "learning" or "adjusting".

i am not let down by the product, and i plan to talk to Tony about it to see if it can be figured out. apologies if i came across the wrong way, just trying to be objective, but am certainly not done trying to figure this out.
jvandy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 02:38 PM   #445
Kmeleon

Drives: 2018 NFG 2SS 1LE!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony @ Mamo Motorsports View Post
Guys,

Sorry for the lag....been extremely busy of late (in all aspects of my business) and its much harder to find time to get on the boards. Pretty much par for the course for this time of year

Let me just sum this up by saying I have helped hundreds....and I mean hundreds of customers with just LT1/LT4 TB's. With the fact this TB is soooo poor in stock trim (as I have gone over with you guys in much more detail in other posts), I tend to sell ALOT of these.

85-90% of my customers install what I sell them and are thrilled....10% feel the gains but say its not what they expected.....5% might have an issue where they throw a code etc. I would say that is a really accurate assessment of the TB's I ship but I want you guys clear on the fact that I'm always here to help the 15% that didn't have a stellar experience from jump street with this product.

But.....that takes effort on your part as well. You need to reach out to me and lets discuss what you experienced. As most of you know, I'm willing to exchange the TB I send you with something that we hope will work a little better if necessary. There have only been a few customers that I sent more than one TB that haven't been happy when the smoke cleared....I'm talking about a count on one hand type of number and some I think had other issues or simply expected a bit too much.

Make no mistake about the fact it is a significant and noteworthy improvement to the overall power delivery curve. The car should be more responsive.....the dead zone or lag right off idle which plagues the manual trans guys more as they are in that area of the throttle letting out the clutch....that should be significantly improved....and some say eliminated depending on which car and which driver you ask. The delivery of the power should be more crisp and much more linear.....alot less of the on/off situation that plagues the poorly shaped OEM unit and if your installing this in a boosted car you should see boost come in with much less pedal effort.....everything is smoother.

If your NOT experiencing the bulk of the perks I just mentioned (Kemeleon, jvandy50, etc.) please take the time to reach out to me.....lets try swapping your TB out for another and see how that goes. Hell I may have to send you three but if your willing to invest the time and the minimal effort it takes to swap, the end results will improve your driving experience every mile your cruising down the road and you simply cant put a price on that, especially then the cost of my ported TB is beyond modest and the time required even to send one back etc. (if necessary), pretty darn manageable.

Don't forget....most of my customers install and hit it out of the park right away.....when you factor in the shear number of people I have helped with these late model ported LT1/LT4 TB's (not just 6th Gen Camaros....a ton of 7th gen Vettes late model trucks also), your just bound to run across a few situations that need a little TLC to get just right. Keep in mind there are alot of variables beyond my control, including variables in the sensors on the car as well....not just the bolt-on's or different mods and state of tune from one car to the next).

Kemeleon, jvandy50, and whoever else.....reach out to me via PM or email....I may and likely will suggest a phone call and lets try a few things and get it figured out. I dont think a tune is really necessary to get significantly improved results with these LT powered cars....I drove my buddy's C7 stock and it was night and day better with the addition of my TB. In fact 18 months later he still loves how it drives with his Mamo ported TB installed and says it really improved the fun factor and the ease of simply driving it normal letting out the clutch and leaving a traffic light.

Alright....this post is twice as long as I wanted it to be but I guess I had more to say than I realized

Catch you guys later

-Tony

(661)714-1317
tony@mamomotorsports.com
www.mamomotorsports.com
I appreciate the post Tony. I will give you a call but first I'm going to switch back to the stock TB and see what I feel. I did disconnect the battery while I swapped to your TB so I needed to give it some more miles but I'm close to 50 now so I want to see how the car responds on the stock TB for a direct comparison. Once I do that I will be in touch on the board and to you personally. And I don't want to come off as crapping on your product, I was just hoping for a bit more of a WOW feeling. I will work with you to see if we can get there in the next couple weeks.
Kmeleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 06:42 PM   #446
Smuggler67

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10
TM TB install and results

All,
I've had great success with the TM TB that Tony sent to me and would like to share some of the things I did to get there. I'm sure some of you have probably already been down this road but I'll throw it out there for consideration.

My 2018 ZL1 A10 was completely stock before the installation however, I drove it with a consistently heavy right foot so the ECM did some learning before the install. I did not disconnect the battery for the install.

After installation I drove the car at a sedate pace for several hours to ensure everything was working and to allow the car and TB to get acquainted. Then I proceeded to ramp up the excitement by going through a series of stop & gos, part-throttle/ moderate accelerations and finally multiple WOT runs deep into triple digits. No issues. Great off-idle response including the ability to break traction much more easily. Even with the MPS4S installed I have to really feather launches before going full throttle or power gets pulled.

I continued to drive the car with heavy right-foot emphasis before installing an AFe Momentum GT Pro 5R CAI. No battery disconnect, and very carefully handled the MAF so as not to physically touch the sensor or allow it touch anything else (that's my computer repair nerd talking). Same break-in process as before with no issues. Car has responded very well to the TM TB and AFe CAI combination.

I hope this doesn't come off as condescending but sometimes in the haste to start enjoying a mod we can get into a rush. I really believe the approach I took (WOT runs with OEM setup prior to install, sedate break-in/ get acquainted period, part-throttle thru WOT runs after install) was key to my success for both the TM TB and AFe CAI.

Now the car has serious top-end legs. I mean chase down and catch Z06 legs (2 so far) which surprised the hell out of me and them!
Smuggler67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 08:11 AM   #447
Chris C 1SS 1LE

Drives: 2017 1LE
Seat and learn time. Gets better. @ 1K miles on mine after road trip to Coronado.
Old 06-16-2019, 06:20 PM   #448
Z650HP

Drives: 2019 Black ZL1 M6
I just read this whole thread from start to finish. Dam my eyes hurt.
I am going to have to grab one of these though. Sounds like a win. I want to get one for the sheer reason of throttle response increase (which I feel isn't that bad on the zl1 at all actually) and to see if it increases my whine sound with the new installed rotofab. The rotofab although I love the fit and finish look really disappointed in intensifying the whine for me.

Also on another not, most be a tremendous amount of bad manual drivers on this thread. My 19 ZL1 is by far the easiest and smoothest manual I ever driven. You have to be one horrible driver to stall this car. Pretty sure my 16 year old who has never driven manual could operate it flawlessly.
You guys want a challenging manual, try a new shelby GT350. That thing with its helper dual spring clutch is a nightmare for smooth driving.

Tony I will be in touch. I want one of these things. At the very least want to try it and if not happy love your return policy.
Z650HP is offline   Reply With Quote