#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-29-2018, 06:59 PM   #1
CanyonCarver
Finding New Roads

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS
Help me diagnose this suspension noise please

I've tried everything I can think of and this is my last attempt before taking it in to a shop.

Apologies for crappy video, hopefully you can hear the "rubbing/grinding" when turning left.

Anyone heard that before and/or know what it is?

2016 1ss w mag ride 80k+ miles

recently changed
tires
brake pads and rotors- powerstop z26
wheel hub assembly

https://youtu.be/Q5cmJFR9mMQ

Many thanks
CanyonCarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 04:55 PM   #2
JaxChris

Drives: '16 2SS GD1 MX0 NPP F55 IO6
All I hear is a wobble that is slightly more pronounced when going left. Tire/wheel out of round or improperly balanced?
JaxChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 01:24 PM   #3
CanyonCarver
Finding New Roads

Hey,

Thanks for taking the time to check it out... and respond.

I too thought it might be tire and I had them rotated a couple days ago. Noise is still there.

So yesterday

I was reading about wheel hub failure symptoms and one thing said that the noise transfers from the affected side. So I went out and jacked up the passenger side and it's grinding like a MF. Son of a ...

I had originally ordered two Moog hubs (made in Korea) and grabbed the second, gave it a spin. GRIND. Right out of the box. Grinding so bad it takes force to turn it. Not putting it on. I considered putting the OE drivers side one I replaced as it actually spins well and without any grinding.

but

the passenger side brake caliper bolts are so tight I couldn't get them off. Kinda worried the hub has been getting super hot all the time I was trying different things to other side of car.

So, I'm off to the store to get a 1/2" breaker bar and a rubber BFH

I'll give it one more go before taking it to a shop. This has been frustrating the crap out of me.

Thanks again for any help
Old 01-14-2019, 02:55 PM   #4
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
I can't help you beyond what you've already diagnosed. Good luck!

A couple of off topic observations:

- At 80K miles you have about the highest mileage gen 6 Camaro out there!

- The road for your test drive looks great and has plenty of curves for a nice drive.

Keep us posted on your progress.

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
SSDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 01:40 PM   #5
CanyonCarver
Finding New Roads

Hey Dan

Nothing to report yet as it's storming like mad here and I don't have a garage.

That road is the top end of Hwy 26 in Calaveras county California. It got repaved a few years back and the crew that did it were master road builders. The grading and surfacing is amazing. The idiots in county maintenance are slowly ruining it unfortunately.

The road crosses three different Mokelumne river forks and led to the name Canyon Carver, lol. It's a fantastic drive. It's really, really hard on tires and suspension though. It scares "flat landers" and old people into driving 35 in a 55 so that can be frustrating af, but many people will yield to faster traffic at turnouts.

The fact I've grown to know and drive it like my own personal Nurburgring is a blessing and a curse. No tickets though. Knock on wood. It's so curvy that momentum driving it at 64ish is extremely challenging and enjoyable, so that helps.

Thanks for taking the time. Much appreciate some good luck.
Old 01-17-2019, 01:44 PM   #6
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
lol holy shit 80k? ive only got like 25k on my 16 ss
Old 01-17-2019, 01:59 PM   #7
CanyonCarver
Finding New Roads

Lol,I love to drive. This was 12-4. I might be the posterboy for #FindingNewRoads

Name:  WP_20181204_14_16_42_Pro.jpg
Views: 526
Size:  113.3 KB
Old 01-17-2019, 02:02 PM   #8
kropscamaro16

haha holy shit i use to daily my car but then i got a job 40 miles a way each way and got a daily

got it with 9k now got over 30k in like a year and few months
Old 01-17-2019, 02:12 PM   #9
CanyonCarver
Finding New Roads

Drove mine off the lot with 6 miles on it 3-10-'16. My work commute was 120 miles total on a curvy 2 lane roads until a year ago. Now I live right off 26 and have a canyon drive in either direction I go. It's pretty awesome, lol. Except on tires! And mpg 18.5 avg.
Old 01-17-2019, 03:19 PM   #10
kropscamaro16

haha damn yea im on 3rd set of tires and my mpg sucks lol but good shit man your driving the hell out of it!

as for the sound i have no idea but maybe your shocks are going bad or endlink is broken?
Old 01-18-2019, 06:14 AM   #11
Driski

Drives: 2016 Camaro Convertible 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanyonCarver View Post
Hey,

Thanks for taking the time to check it out... and respond.

I too thought it might be tire and I had them rotated a couple days ago. Noise is still there.

So yesterday

I was reading about wheel hub failure symptoms and one thing said that the noise transfers from the affected side. So I went out and jacked up the passenger side and it's grinding like a MF. Son of a ...

I had originally ordered two Moog hubs (made in Korea) and grabbed the second, gave it a spin. GRIND. Right out of the box. Grinding so bad it takes force to turn it. Not putting it on. I considered putting the OE drivers side one I replaced as it actually spins well and without any grinding.

but

the passenger side brake caliper bolts are so tight I couldn't get them off. Kinda worried the hub has been getting super hot all the time I was trying different things to other side of car.

So, I'm off to the store to get a 1/2" breaker bar and a rubber BFH

I'll give it one more go before taking it to a shop. This has been frustrating the crap out of me.

Thanks again for any help
Curious, why did you change the hub in the first place? I ask because I have been having a problem with a wobble at around 40 mph and when breaking hard. I have replaced a tire and a wheel (both covered by insurance) but it still is present. I suspect it is a warped rotor at this point???
Old 01-26-2019, 12:40 AM   #12
CanyonCarver
Finding New Roads

Driski, I had a noise. Hence the video. BRAKING ( you break the brake caliper bolts loose) Wobble could very well be rotor.

I fixed my problem

Was the wheel bearing/hub assembly on the RIGHT. The sound transferred so much to the drivers side it was hard to wrap my head around how TF it could be from over there, but thats definitely what it was

My front brake pads, rotors & bearing/hubs lasted 79k and all wore out at the same time lol
Old 05-06-2019, 11:30 AM   #13
Vyncynt

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS (on order)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanyonCarver View Post
Driski, I had a noise. Hence the video. BRAKING ( you break the brake caliper bolts loose) Wobble could very well be rotor.

I fixed my problem

Was the wheel bearing/hub assembly on the RIGHT. The sound transferred so much to the drivers side it was hard to wrap my head around how TF it could be from over there, but thats definitely what it was

My front brake pads, rotors & bearing/hubs lasted 79k and all wore out at the same time lol
I wish I was as lucky as you. Today, the dealer said I needed to have my front rotors replaced. Only have 22K on it and I don't race to dog out my car. I called the dealer and asked if they happen to have checked the hubs...

"Ahhh! Take care to get what you like or you will be forced to like what you get!"
- Lyrics from a song from Scooter: "Apache Rock the Bottom!"

Previously owned
1998 BMW 540 w/M-series package
1991 Trans Am GTA
1985 Saab 900 Turbo (Burned leaded fuel on the Autobahn)
1985 Firebird (R.I.P.)
1976 Camaro LT
Vyncynt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 03:26 PM   #14
Josh42089

Drives: 19 Chevy Camaro LTa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyncynt View Post
I wish I was as lucky as you. Today, the dealer said I needed to have my front rotors replaced. Only have 22K on it and I don't race to dog out my car. I called the dealer and asked if they happen to have checked the hubs...
I just picked up my 19 Lt couple weeks ago with 50km. Now at 2000 lol. I noticed a week earlier I was getting rust going around one of my rear rotors where the pads make contact. Took it in and they made excuses for a few minutes after I told them it's not normal and none of the others were like that they agreed it wasn't and resurfaced the one rotor and cleaned up the pad. Needles to say now the breaking surface seems to be fine but the outside and middles before the braking area are all rusting..looks like shit and none of the others have a spec of rust. Looks like I'll be going back again.
Josh42089 is offline   Reply With Quote