Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

AWE Tuning

Old 04-27-2019, 02:10 AM   #1
Baker

Drives: 2010 camaro RS,2017 camaro 1Le
alignment suggestions

I need a little help deciding what kind of alignment to run. I know what the gm track specs are however this will not be a strictly track car I will be putting drag radials on most Friday nights and then switch back and go to autocross Saturday morning. I cant decide what my best option is to find a happy medium.
Old 04-29-2019, 12:03 AM   #2
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
GM track specs are pretty mild so I'd say they would give ya a happy middle ground between 2 vastly different disciplines. Albeit i dont think maxing out front camber (as most track rats do) would hurt your strip times any?
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 06:25 PM   #3
Joey Soul
The Mechanic

Drives: 1SS M
Max front camber for max cut in haha im kidding. For drag racing you probably want the most upright and straight tire
BTR 225 w/CNC Heads|JLT intake|Speed Engineering 1"7/8 long tube and mid pipe|LT2 manifold w/95mmTb|Self tuned w/HPtuners|Silvers 2Way coilovers|Hotchkis front sway|Advan AD08R|BMR solid cradle bushings|Recaro SR7| Work ZR10 19"
Joey Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 06:25 AM   #4
wnta1ss

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
Looks to me like it will probably be an either/or situation. If you have the 'track alignment', the rear wheels will be cambered negative and starting-line traction will therefore be compromised. If you have street alignment, you will beat the crap out of the tires on the road course. I have seen someone that has run with track alignment (1.6-1.7 negative camber on the rear) on the dragstrip, and it does spin drag radials too easily, though it was an almost-fbo-engine too. With a stock engine I don't know how serious the effect of the negative rear camber would be on the dragstrip.
wnta1ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 06:52 AM   #5
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Soul View Post
Max front camber for max cut in haha im kidding. For drag racing you probably want the most upright and straight tire
Zero front camber would be right if you're running skinnies. Picky here would be to set zero camber and toe with the front of the car raised to simulate nose rise under acceleration so that the alignment settings more closely approximate the dragstrip operating condition.

But maybe not with wide front tires, where camber that's far enough negative can make the tires roll like they're narrower than they are.

Norm
Old 05-09-2019, 10:19 AM   #6
Joey Soul
The Mechanic

Drives: 1SS M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
Zero front camber would be right if you're running skinnies. Picky here would be to set zero camber and toe with the front of the car raised to simulate nose rise under acceleration so that the alignment settings more closely approximate the dragstrip operating condition.

But maybe not with wide front tires, where camber that's far enough negative can make the tires roll like they're narrower than they are.

Norm
True for rolling resistance, that may be more beneficial. I was thinking the increased bearing load and friction due to the angle the load is applied from camber.
BTR 225 w/CNC Heads|JLT intake|Speed Engineering 1"7/8 long tube and mid pipe|LT2 manifold w/95mmTb|Self tuned w/HPtuners|Silvers 2Way coilovers|Hotchkis front sway|Advan AD08R|BMR solid cradle bushings|Recaro SR7| Work ZR10 19"
Joey Soul is offline   Reply With Quote