Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic modifications (exterior and interior)

AWE Tuning

Old 05-15-2023, 10:00 PM   #1
The Maverick
Somewhere in the Kalahari

Drives: 2021/18 (de-fresh) 3LT RS
Styling critics - my trunk wrap needs your suggestions!

Looking for some graphic design suggestions here! There's one aspect of my trunk wrap that just doesn't look right to me.

I've wrapped the hood, roof, and trunk lid of my Satin Steel RS. I had the trunk wrap run across the entire trunk lid up to the blade spoiler. I've left the spoiler body colored. While I like the overall look, there are two narrow body-colored strips of trunk lid at the ends of the blade spoiler. I keep thinking there must be a better looking way to have done the trunk wrap, but I am not sure what that is and am soliciting suggestions.

The first two photos show the slightly annoying look I am talking about.

First, some options I think are off the table, but feel free to convince me I am wrong here: (1) If the blade spoiler had extended all the way to the ends of the trunk, problem solved - but even if there are spoiler options that do just that, I would prefer to keep the factory RS blade spoiler. (2) I have seen folks just wrap the top and back of the trunk lid, but I want to keep the wrap solely on the horizontal portion of the trunk and not have it extend over onto the back. (3) I don't see just wrapping those thin strips at the end of the blade spoiler as a solution because I think that would look similarly "unfinished" as the current layout.

The third photo below shows that these annoyances aren't all that obvious at a distance (so maybe I need to just get over it?) The white lines on that photo show two wrap options I have thought about when looking at the annoying end gaps.

Option 1: As roughly shown by the white line on the left side of the photo, the option to have the wrap run straight back from the left and right edges of the rear window - sort of like a big black stripe continuing from the roof.

Option 2: As roughly shown by the white line on the right side of the photo, the option to have the wrap run inside the body line that comes down from the roof alongside the rear window and follows that same line onto the trunk lid. This would create a "fan" stripe that angles outward until it runs up against the blade spoiler.

Or maybe you have an even better option that I haven't considered? Thanks in advance for any comments or suggestions on how I might fine tune the trunk wrap!
Attached Images

The Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 06:07 AM   #2
ste6000

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
i am feeling the idea of taking the spoiler off and just continue the wrap till you hit the bottom of the trunk lid between the lights. then put the spoiler back on. also making the spoiler black would also add a nice addition to it.

2018 Camaro SS - Hyper Metallic Blue
ste6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 08:05 AM   #3
The Chief (tm)

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS "Convertibobble"
I guess I'm gonna try to "convince you [you're] wrong" with this one! But only because it would be *very* easy to kinda "make sure" you, in fact, DON'T like it:

Have you tried to see what it would look like if you DID blacken the "thin strips" at the end of the blade spoiler? (By which I take it to mean the little section between each side of the spoiler and the trunk cut-out line.) Easy, because you could just cut out a black piece of paper and rest it on there, to take a look.

I feel like I could also see having the paper taper to a point at the trunklid, i.e., it fills the width at the front of the spoiler (closest to the window), then tapers inwards until it is ends at the rear of it, right at the rear-most end of the horizontal portion. In fact, this would probably look "less unfinished" than what's from paragraph above.

So, maybe, cut out some paper that covers the entire part first, and if you don't like it, then cut those pieces further in a diagonal line and see if it looks better.

Otherwise, from among the two choices in photo #3, I think I go with the first one, the "one big stripe" move.

Keep us posted!
'94 ST1100 146K
The Chief (tm) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2023, 09:35 AM   #4
The Maverick
Somewhere in the Kalahari

Drives: 2021/18 (de-fresh) 3LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ste6000 View Post
i am feeling the idea of taking the spoiler off and just continue the wrap till you hit the bottom of the trunk lid between the lights. then put the spoiler back on. also making the spoiler black would also add a nice addition to it.
Thanks for the input! I've seen trunk wraps done that way on sixth gens, and maybe more commonly just a black strip between the two taillights. Was hoping to do something a little different though, if I can make the top-only coverage more pleasing to the eye. Having had the blade spoiler wrapped on my 2016, and seeing all the cuts and overlapping pieces involved, was one of the reasons I decided to go with a look that left the spoiler body colored. Plus, various posts I've read here and elsewhere indicate the blade spoiler is a beast to remove, so I'd prefer to avoid that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chief (tm) View Post
Have you tried to see what it would look like if you DID blacken the "thin strips" at the end of the blade spoiler? (By which I take it to mean the little section between each side of the spoiler and the trunk cut-out line.) Easy, because you could just cut out a black piece of paper and rest it on there, to take a look.

I feel like I could also see having the paper taper to a point at the trunklid, i.e., it fills the width at the front of the spoiler (closest to the window), then tapers inwards until it is ends at the rear of it, right at the rear-most end of the horizontal portion. In fact, this would probably look "less unfinished" than what's from paragraph above.
Now that you mention it, having a curved or straight taper there is something I have thought about a couple of times. A straight-line taper might be a better fit, stylistically, than a curved one, considering the angular lines of the bumper.

Great idea to try a paper mockup - I'll give that a shot and maybe post some photos for further input. Thanks for the suggestion!
The Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2023, 07:23 PM   #5
keep_hope_alive
Electrical Engineer

Drives: 2023 1SS A10 Black
I think you can make the case for a thinner trunk wrap if you align with the hood. For example, the hood stripe has a width that is less than the car width. While that is bounded by the hood itself, the look is the same.

I actually like your idea of having the strip be more narrow the more I think about it, specifically drawing from the hood aesthetic. Whatever option that aligns with.

I see the desire to align with the window or come off the top of the window down the C-pillar a bit - to align with the roof and the edge created along that projection.

1100: 5/3/22 . . . . . . . 2000: 6/25/22 . . . . . .4000: 8/17/22 . . . . . . . 6000: 9/10/22

Daily Driver mileage update: 22k mi. @ April 2024
New Engine @ 22,600

Build Log: https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...6#post11353116
keep_hope_alive is offline   Reply With Quote